Suns assign Taylor Griffin to D-League

What Taylor has accomplished previously with regards to the NBA is more than I thought he would initially. Taylor doesn't a possess a unique skill that most teams covet and the problem is the longer he is employed, the more the Suns or whoever are going to have to pay him. With all due respect to Taylor, there are a few rookies coming out of the ranks every year who could classify as your "hustle" guys and you can continually pay them at a lower rate, which is what many owners are looking for.

Would love to see Taylor stay in the league for 15 years, however, I just don't see it happening at this time. I think he would be a great pick-up for a team overseas and coupled with his disciplined style of play, would fit into that sytem very well.

T
Your jayhawk opinion doesn't mean squat to me.

Nobody cares about your opinion. I don't think Taylor will have a long career in the NBA either, but I'm not patting myself on the back over him being sent down to the D-league. It's pathetic and sad that you feel you need to prove yourself on such a petty and useless topic.

Never said he was. Also never said he wouldn't make it back to the NBA this year, or next year, or the following year. I just don't think you'll ever see him getting more than the 14th or 15th roster spot, and generally only playing in blowouts or b/c of injuries.

He can't play PF in the NBA, and he does not have the skill set to be a starting SF, or probably even the primary backup at that position in the NBA. Where are his minutes going to come from? Is a 22-23 year old suddenly going to learn how to shoot jumpers?

I'm not knocking Taylor. I like him as a person, and liked him as a player at OU. Better OU players than Taylor.....MUCH better OU players than Taylor have never sniffed the NBA.

You said in a post above that he wouldn't "stick in the NBA". So what is it? Will he not stick or will he stick and just be a 14th or 15th guy? And since when did making a career, any career, in the NBA become some kind of lame thing or an example of failure? LOL.

Guys like Taylor make the NBA and stick all the time because they are big, strong, athletic, and great character guys. If you are going to pay someone 800K to sit on your bench and practice hard every day who do you want it to be? Taylor or a guy who is way more talented but will still never see the floor and ***** and moan about it every day? I take Taylor.

You said in a post above that he wouldn't "stick in the NBA". So what is it? Will he not stick or will he stick and just be a 14th or 15th guy? And since when did making a career, any career, in the NBA become some kind of lame thing or an example of failure? LOL.

I think he'll "stick" around at the end of the bench for 2-3 years, then be out of the NBA.

How's that?

I think he'll "stick" around at the end of the bench for 2-3 years, then be out of the NBA.

How's that?

Even if that's all he does, it's more than anyone thought he would do 4 years ago. He's worked hard and made himself better and he would be able to build himself a nice nest egg for his future. He deserves our praise - something most people on this board realize.

How's that?

I can handle that, I just like consistency! :)

The thing is that most guys who stick 3 years in the NBA stick longer if they can do a few things well and if they are good teammates and representatives of the organization.

I don't think guys with Taylors size, athletic ability, and work ethic are a dime a dozen. Anybody that ever makes an NBA roster is not a dime a dozen. Heck anybody that gets a scholarship to a D-1 college is not a dime a dozen for that matter.

What IS a dime a dozen are guys who can make 8 of 10 free throws in their driveway that have 0 chance of playing in the NBA because they do not have Taylor Griffins size, athletic ability, and work ethic. Those guys truly are a dime a dozen.

If he can improve his perimeter shooting he will have a great long career in the NBA, if he can't then he won't. It's really that simple.

Last edited:
I don't think guys with Taylors size, athletic ability, and work ethic are a dime a dozen. Anybody that ever makes an NBA roster is not a dime a dozen. Heck anybody that gets a scholarship to a D-1 college is not a dime a dozen for that matter.

What IS a dime a dozen are guys who can make 8 of 10 free throws in their driveway that have 0 chance of playing in the NBA because they do not have Taylor Griffins size, athletic ability, and work ethic. Those guys truly are a dime a dozen.

If he can improve his perimeter shooting he will have a great long career in the NBA, if he can't then he won't. It's really that simple.

But Serge Ibaka was a wasted pick? LOL. Sorry I had to say it. :)

I thought it was pretty clear that TU was talking about players like Griffin being a dime a dozen among the pool of professional basketball players. Whether that is accurate or not can be debated, but it's seems pretty silly to say that TU really thinks players like Taylor Griffin are a dime a dozen among the general population.

Taylor is clearly going to have a long basketball career. The only issue is whether it is in this country or over seas.

Taylor has also expressed an interest in going to Medical School. He may be content to spend a season or two in the NBA (as long as they will have him) and then go to Medical School.

I played a lot of hockey in my life, I would have been thrilled to sit on the bench during an NHL game. Not many people get to even ride the bench in the majors. I played in a mens league with a few former NHL players - I thought that was a big deal (they were clearly better than me but I still thought it was cool to play with them). From my perspective it is a big deal to even get a D-1 scholarship for a sport and even bigger when it is the Big XII (or other major conference).

But Serge Ibaka was a wasted pick? LOL. Sorry I had to say it. :)

good comparison. Taylor was drafted where Ibaka should have been. Actually I'll say Ibaka was not as overdrafted as I thought. He does have some decent ball skills.

Last edited:
TU when was the last time you saw Taylor play? Have you seen him play lately? Just curious.

I know we dont have a lot of people to compare Taylor to, but the one i looked at that was able to stick around the league for several years was Darvin Ham...Taylor had a better career number-wise and are both very similiar players offensively...

So it can happen...

I dont really think Taylor will every be a guy that plays in the NBA, but he could be a roster guy that moves from team to team and gets a chance to suit up or sit behind the bench in the top 15...

i was already proved wrong when he was drafted, so obviously there is more to him then any of us know, even watching him play here for 4 yrs...

If he is still with them on the 28th and 29th of January, you can catch him in Tulsa playing against the 66ers

good comparison. Taylor was drafted where Ibaka should have been. Actually I'll say Ibaka was not as overdrafted as I thought. He does have some decent ball skills.
And Harden was the best player on the floor last night.....

In the 1st half tonight, Taylor has 10 points (5-7), 5 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals.

Say what you want tu, but the goal is not for him to play this year. Taylor is learning from one of the best in Dan Majerle. Taylor is being prepared for the future. It sounds like he will be given a chance according to how well he makes the adjustment and when. Kerr seems to be on his side. Let's see the record for Capel is still two players sent to the NBA in just 3-4 years. That sure is great for the program. You just never know about Taylor. There are guys to this day that are in the league that I wonder. How in the world are they in the league. If there's room for these types of guys. Then surely Taylor has a good chance. It pretty much doesn't matter either way. Coach Capel has put two guys in the league already. That's outstanding. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

Taylor finished with 19 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, 3 fouls, and 6 turnovers. Energy won 94-82.

Looks like he is starting a beard. Looks scruffy.

Back