Taylor Robertson's 31 points lead OU in upset of No. 17 West Virginia

bluesooner17

Reaction score
By Tyler Palmateer
Transcript Sports Editor

Ana Llanusa’s health is a focal point for Oklahoma women’s basketball moving forward. But for now, the Sooners are winning without her.

Wednesday, they won big.

Sophomore guard Taylor Robertson scored a career-high 31 points and OU claimed its third straight victory, upsetting No. 17 West Virginia in a 73-49 rout in Morgantown.

OU’s Madi Williams scored 15 points and grabbed eight rebounds, and Gabby Gregory added nine points and eight boards on a night the Sooners won their first road game against a ranked team since 2014.

The Sooners (10-6, 3-1 Big 12) handed the Mountaineers (13-2, 3-1) their most lopsided defeat this season and claimed a second win over a ranked team.

It happened without Llanusa, who is OU’s second-leading scorer. Coach Sherri Coale said last week the junior guard was OK after struggling with back spasms, and her status in Sunday’s game against TCU (3 p.m. Saturday) is uncertain.

The Sooners are doing just fine in the interim.

They pulled away in the second half, leading by as many as 26 points, and emptied their bench in the fourth quarter.

Junior forward Mandy Simpson pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds, including four on the offensive glass. OU’s 16 offensive rebounds helped fuel 11-of-26 shooting from behind the 3-point line.

Most of that was Robertson’s doing. Her career night included 8 of 18 made 3-pointers. She has hit 78 threes this season and continues to lead the NCAA.

West Virginia guard Kysre Gondrezick is No. 2 in the Big 12 in made 3-pointers, with 35.

Gondrezick finished with eight points off 3-of-13 shooting. West Virginia shot 24 percent from the field, 8 percent (1 of 13) from 3-point range, and only Esmery Martinez (10 points) scored in double figures.

That was a recipe for disaster against Robertson.

She pulled off a miraculous long-range shot at the third-quarter buzzer in an attempt to draw a foul, as she turned sideways and leaned into West Virginia’s Tynice Martin, who watched Robertson arc a 3-pointer off the glass and in.

OU led by 23 points and wasn’t threatened from there.

Taylor shot 18 three-pointers last night. Eighteen. And I bet coaches and fans (myself included) will be content if she continues to shoot that many from downtown. I can't think of another player (maybe Steph Curry???) who can shoot that many 3s and it's a good game move.

She delivers against non-conference cupcakes. She delivers against the UConns and Baylors. And now she's delivering without Ana, which means she is far and away the number one focus on the opposing scouting chart. She is S P E C I A L.

Taylor shot 18 three-pointers last night. Eighteen. And I bet coaches and fans (myself included) will be content if she continues to shoot that many from downtown. I can't think of another player (maybe Steph Curry???) who can shoot that many 3s and it's a good game move.

She delivers against non-conference cupcakes. She delivers against the UConns and Baylors. And now she's delivering without Ana, which means she is far and away the number one focus on the opposing scouting chart. She is S P E C I A L.

You have to wonder how a team would even let Taylor get 18 three pointers off...

Well, we know it couldn't possibly be that Sherri Coale is a really good offensive basketball coach, because it's been made very clear she's a terrible coach.

In seriousness, OU's spacing is very good, and Sherri Coale does a great job of teaching offensive basketball. She always has and always will. Her weakness is that she rarely reigns players in and is too tolerant of plays that should have never been attempted. In essence, many of our mistakes are made from trying to do things that we should never do. However, she's a great offensive coach and if she has talent, you can rest assured her teams will always score a lot of points.

Last edited:

Just think how special she would be if she wasn't such a terrible athlete. ;)

Gee, isn't it amazing how the list volume drops after just a little team success?

Seems I remember my mama saying, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." I guess those Former Frequent Posters just can't bring themselves to say something nice, even when there's lots of nice things to say now.

Last season I was privileged to sit next to Nydia Lampkin's mother at one of our home games. She told me then these girls would be better next year and darned good the year after that. Looks like she knew where of she spoke.

I wonder if Taylor, at some point in her career, will get consideration for player of the year? Assuming she continues to improve throughout her career, by her senior season I would assume she would be one of the best players in the country. Not just the best shooter. Thoughts?

I am really impressed with the level of improvement Taylor has shown. Her offensive efficiency is off the charts and is what has made us a difficult team to play. At this point I think she is still off the national radar with our team struggles last year and at the beginning of this year. So the key for her getting all american etc attention is continued good team play and us making a tournament run.

I wonder if Taylor, at some point in her career, will get consideration for player of the year? Assuming she continues to improve throughout her career, by her senior season I would assume she would be one of the best players in the country. Not just the best shooter. Thoughts?

Well, she has managed to get one-half of a Big-12 Player of the Week selection. So, those voters are suggesting that she is equal to about 19 Big 12 players. :)

At her current pace Taylor is on schedule to break the NCAA career 3pt FG made of 497 (Taylor has 191), career 3pt FG/game 4.0 (Taylor has averaged 4.2) and career 3pt FG % 47.6% (Taylor has average 47.5% but is averaging 48.6% this year).

Comparing her freshman and her sophomore seasons last year she averaged making 3.5 of 7.5 attempts/game for 46.7%. This year she is making 5.4 of 11.0 attempts/game for 48.6%.

fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_basketball_RB/2020/D1.pdf

At some point before her senior year with continued progression toward career records BTA she will be recognized for who she is. And with the apparent work of Jackie Stiles I suspect she will become more proficient at her game.

Back