Team Depth

skyvue

Reaction score
One has to look pretty hard to find anything to complain about with this team so far, but I'm a bit concerned about the falloff of Darthard, Soares and Moore against tougher opponents. I'm wondering if our depth is going to hold up.

Against IU, USC and Providence, Darthard went 2-17 from the field, scoring 4, 3 and 0. Moore went off for 18 against IU, but scored just 4 and 2 against USC and PC on 3-9 shooting. Soares went 5-14, scoring 5, 5 and 3 against those teams.

I just wonder if we're going to be quite as deep as many of us have thought. Three games is a small sample size, but the Big 12, as we all know, is loaded. Nearly every team we face will be at a similar talent level--or better--than those three teams.

What do you guys think?

I think it is a fair question. Big 12 is going to beat us up some nights regardless. The thing those 3 always seem to do well is play defense, though. That is going to keep us in games when you have elite guards like Los and McC. darthard’s career shooting percentages suggest he will get it going again offensively. I also expect Cooper to get more minutes on the wing in the coming months. I have confidence that we will have plenty of production from that spot with those 4 players.

34 mins for JM, Los, Otega….

Not a ton of mins for others. I want our best guys taking the most shots.

They will be hot and cold. Defense and intangibles are being severely overlooked here. It’s not all stat stuffers.

Not a ton of mins for others. I want our best guys taking the most shots.

That's precisely what Kelvin Sampson wanted when he was OU's head coach, especially his first 5 OU teams. He would have those guys shooting very little while focusing on defense. Think about it...1996 - Ryan Minor and Nate Erdmann doing almost all of the shooting, 1997 - Nate Erdmann and Corey Brewer. It got a little better after that, but the strategy worked as long as the supporting cast was playing defense.

I like this team a lot as well... still I have a few concerns it could drop off quickly.. never know. Hope not. Our starting guards I feel like could possibly be in the top 2-4 of the big 12 which is huge.

Concerns:
5 spot..defense mainly.
Moore: Is he skilled enough? Does effect the game in other ways though.
Darthard: He hasn't played well against the best competition.. guy has missed a lot of open 3s, not super athletic/big. Give me Cortes here :)
Soares: Does the little things, but we need him to hit more open shots as well.

We will have a shot to go deep this season.. as long as Uzan controls the game/hits a few outside shots.. Other two guards just do what they are doing.. all 3 should play 30 min a game.

I like this team a lot as well... still I have a few concerns it could drop off quickly.. never know. Hope not. Our starting guards I feel like could possibly be in the top 2-4 of the big 12 which is huge.

Concerns:
5 spot..defense mainly.
Moore: Is he skilled enough? Does effect the game in other ways though.
Darthard: He hasn't played well against the best competition.. guy has missed a lot of open 3s, not super athletic/big. Give me Cortes here :)
Soares: Does the little things, but we need him to hit more open shots as well.

We will have a shot to go deep this season.. as long as Uzan controls the game/hits a few outside shots.. Other two guards just do what they are doing.. all 3 should play 30 min a game.

Darthard hasn't played well *** on offense against the best comp

he has been stellar on Defense

I did point out we needed a bit more from 3 from both Darthard and Soares moving forward in the PC game thread. We don’t need them to be snipers, but they need to make open shots when they present themselves. I’m almost at the point where I feel better about Otega taking an open 3 than Soares. Never thought I’d type those words out together but here we are.

Playing good basketball involves much more than scoring a ton of points. If every player in our rotation scored as many points each game as some of us believe they should, we'd average scoring 130 points per game and beat every opponent by 50.

Roster looks pretty good to me. Northweather and Yaya are works in progress but I see some potential. All of the new transfers are good experienced players. Soares and Darthard are greater defenders. Hugley is way more than I anticipated. He is the first real inside threat and legit post we have had in a long time. JM is crazy good. He is worth the price of admission. Just a really good baller. Uzon, Oweh and Godwin have plainly put in the work and all are measurably better than last year. Like Hugly, Moore is a far better player than I anticipated. Great athlete. I could see him really coming into his own next year. We haven't seen much of Cooper but if he will work like Oweh apparently has, then it will be interesting to see what he looks like next year. Not going to be shocked if he works his way into the lineup later this year.

As far as the team goes, this is Porter's best defensive team and it isn't close. This is also his best rebounding team. Unlike the last two years, he has a player that go get a shot when he needs it (JM) and an inside scorer in Hugley. But, we look to be inconsistent with our outside shooting.

How good a team is is related to the competition it plays. Regardless of record this year, this is Porter's best team by far. However, the B12 is insane and it will be interesting to see how we compete and how our records ultimately turns out. I have seen many OU teams look great in the non-con, and then not be very successful in conference play. So, I am trying my best not to get too worked up until we get a ways into conference. But, I really like what I am seeing to this point.

That's precisely what Kelvin Sampson wanted when he was OU's head coach, especially his first 5 OU teams. He would have those guys shooting very little while focusing on defense. Think about it...1996 - Ryan Minor and Nate Erdmann doing almost all of the shooting, 1997 - Nate Erdmann and Corey Brewer. It got a little better after that, but the strategy worked as long as the supporting cast was playing defense.

Saw Sampson at couple of coaches clinics.. one in KC area. That was precisely what he said. Had Hollis on the team when he was at this particular clinic, but said bball is NOT an equal opportunity sport.

Had his roles for all the players.

This all makes sense, but some of our former players were chastised for not being good in every aspect of the game. Not trying to stir things up and I get that we're still in a honeymoon phase with this team (I am, too), but the standards by which players are judged do seem to be ... fluid.

I for one do hope that we get a bit more scoring in conference play from the trio I cited--not a lot, a little--even as I freely and happily acknowledge their other contributions.

Early on I thought the 3 mentioned would take turns leading the team in scoring on certain nights. Now I don't feel that way. The trip to the west was the turning point for Dart in shooting. Don't know if it is just the talent level improving and a mental thing. But as far as D, Cortes didn't play defense when comparing to Dathhard. He is a menace. Maybe our best on ball defender. The length of Moore and Soares is just a great asset with their athleticism. I still think they have a hot night every once in a while but getting 5 from them will probably a good night.

Soares needs to keep defending and slashing. He isn’t a shooter. Haven’t looked but think he was around 20-25% from 3 at Oregon.

This all makes sense, but some of our former players were chastised for not being good in every aspect of the game. Not trying to stir things up and I get that we're still in a honeymoon phase with this team (I am, too), but the standards by which players are judged do seem to be ... fluid.

I for one do hope that we get a bit more scoring in conference play from the trio I cited--not a lot, a little--even as I freely and happily acknowledge their other contributions.

When Darthard and Soares are out there, it almost always means that McCollum or Uzan will be resting. Thus, those guys need to score a little when called upon. Both of those guys have been getting open looks, but they haven't been hitting the last several games. I'm not saying either one needs to go for 12 or 15 (although it wouldn't hurt;)) every night, but there will be times when a bucket or two is needed from them when they are out there.

When Darthard and Soares are out there, it almost always means that McCollum or Uzan will be resting. Thus, those guys need to score a little when called upon. Both of those guys have been getting open looks, but they haven't been hitting the last several games. I'm not saying either one needs to go for 12 or 15 (although it wouldn't hurt;)) every night, but there will be times when a bucket or two is needed from them when they are out there.

Darthard played 26 min both JM and Los were on the court for almost all of this min the same with Soares ... because they don't overlap in positions ..

Really nice games today for Soares and Darthard against a tough, athletic team. Moore continues to play very good defense but has hit a slump on offense. His shot should come around again.

Really nice games today for Soares and Darthard against a tough, athletic team. Moore continues to play very good defense but has hit a slump on offense. His shot should come around again.

That Arkansas team beat Duke.

Back