Teams that OU is clearly better than in the Big 12

thebigabd

Reaction score
Normally you can get a feel for who is better than who. That does not mean X can't beat Y on a given night, but you have a good idea who is better.

Which teams in the Big 12 to this point is OU clearly better than?

Colorado, Missouri, and Nebraska. Nebraska is kind of a wildcard because they seem to overachieve and they play insane defense. They are 2-0 against Pac-10 teams (one at USC) and their best player has not been eligible. Once Standhardinger gets eligible (January 1st) they could be pretty salty and surprise people again.

I don't think you can say OU is clearly better than Texas, Kansas, A&M, Tech, Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, or Iowa State. A few of those (Iowa State and OSU) are close calls, but can you say that OU is clearly better than those teams?

Again, this is based on what we have seen thus far. I am not talking talent, recruiting rankings, NBA projections, etc. Just from what we know on December 15th.

Last edited:
Colorado, Nebraska -----> definitely

Iowa State, OSU, Mizzou ----> OU has slight advantage

I know one thing for sure. At the moment OU will be outrebounded by any of the Big12 team.

I think OU could potentially be better than everyone except Kansas and Texas, Kansas State is up there also but I think we could be better than every other Big 12 team by years end.

I think OU could potentially be better than everyone except Kansas and Texas, Kansas State is up there also but I think we could be better than every other Big 12 team by years end.

"Just from what we know on December 15th. "
-me

Looking at this now, we really can't finish as the 7th or 8th place team in the Big XII if we hope to get a bid...our non-conference performance will ensure that we are NIT bound.

I know one thing for sure. At the moment OU will be outrebounded by any of the Big12 team.

Really? How sure are you? Have you been paying any attention?

OU's actually firmly in the middle of the Big 12 standings in rebounding, ranking seventh in the conference in rebound margin.

Here are the national rankings of the Big 12 teams in rebound margin; the average per-game margin of each team follows the ranking:

Baylor -- #2/12.6
Kansas -- #12/10.0
Texas -- #35/7.4
KSU -- #87/4.3
ISU -- #87/4.3
Tech -- #112/3.1
OU -- #116/3
oswho -- #124/2.8
Nebraska -- #139/2.0
A&M -- #163/1.1
Missouri -- #219/-0.8
Colorado -- #228/-1.1

Man, do I hate it when our own fans make unsubstantiated, unsupported, and inaccurate cracks about our teams. It happens all the time on the football boards, and it occurs here more often than it should, too.

Are you aware that we outrebounded Utah, which has a good deal more height than we do? In fact, we've out-rebounded three of the four teams we've played since returning from Alaska.

Is there room for improvement in our rebounding? Heck, yeah, but we're not doing nearly as badly as you paint it (with nothing to back you up).

Last edited:
We are a completely different team than the one that went to Alaska. In fact if this team goes to Alaska right now they win that tournament easily. But it did give our players wake up call and they appear to have turned it around.

Chances are we will close the gap on some Big 12 teams due to them not being as good as first thought and, or us being better than we thought.

We are a completely different team than the one that went to Alaska. In fact if this team goes to Alaska right now they win that tournament easily. But it did give our players wake up call and they appear to have turned it around.

I don't know about completely...I think the team still relies on the J too much; but, I will agree that the team is considerably different than the one that went to Alaska.

I'm hoping that trip was the wake up call that leads this team to being one of the top four teams in the Big XII. The talent is there.

Really? How sure are you? Have you been paying any attention?

OU's actually firmly in the middle of the Big 12 standings in rebounding, ranking seventh in the conference in rebound margin.

Here are the national rankings of the Big 12 teams in rebound margin; the average per-game margin of each team follows the ranking:

Baylor -- #2/12.6
Kansas -- #12/10.0
Texas -- #35/7.4
KSU -- #87/4.3
ISU -- #87/4.3
Tech -- #112/3.1
OU -- #116/3
oswho -- #124/2.8
Nebraska -- #139/2.0
A&M -- #163/1.1
Missouri -- #219/-0.8
Colorado -- #228/-1.1

Man, do I hate it when our own fans make unsubstantiated, unsupported, and inaccurate cracks about our teams. It happens all the time on the football boards, and it occurs here more often than it should, too.

Are you aware that we outrebounded Utah, which has a good deal more height than we do? In fact, we've out-rebounded three of the four teams we've played since returning from Alaska.

Is there room for improvement in our rebounding? Heck, yeah, but we're not doing nearly as badly as you paint it (with nothing to back you up).

Please don't give me statistic craps. I don't buy into statistics, I buy into what I see with my own eyes. Crocker has that one monster rebound game, but he won't be able to do that in the BIG12. Most BIG12 teams played two POST guys who are taller and stronger than Crocker. Outside of Tiny Gallon, the remaining 3 posts aren't worth a CRAP. They played stiff and seemed to afraid to rebound. I wished Orlando Allen develop. If he does then we have a legitimate chance in the BIG12.

Crocker has that one monster rebound game

He has had 3 double doubles.

Please don't give me statistic craps. I don't buy into statistics

Why?

I wished Orlando Allen develop. If he does then we have a legitimate chance in the BIG12.

Ryan Wright had 7 rebounds at Utah... if he can do that every game I feel a lot better about everything.

Crocker now has had three double doubles. If OSU was able to make it to the tournament last year with Anderson/Obi/Harris whoever it was at the 4 then OU can do the same.

By the way I am pointing this out not to be negative. I pointed this out to let it be known how imperative to develop Post depth come conference time.

Did you see the Utah game? We are playing against a STIFF team, yet they were able to exploit our height with pick and roll. Against more tall athletic team, how do you think we are going to defend that?

Did you see the second half were our defense stepped it up?

I think it is a little to early to write off the conference season just because of Tony being the 4 especially when you add in on how OSU came together last year to make the tournament.

Did you see the second half were our defense stepped it up?

I think it is a little to early to write off the conference season just because of Tony being the 4 especially when you add in on how OSU came together last year to make the tournament.

We are 10 games into the season already, but outside of Tiny, our other POST haven't developed much. This is very concerning.

Back