The Jackson Jeffcoat scenario

Sooner23

Reaction score
Have some family whose children go to Plano West and know him personally, and they say he's dead serious about playing both football and basketball in college. I'm pretty sure Capel would roll with it, but would Stoops? Also, is Jeffcoat's game better than that of Hardrick's?

It's something that Jeffcoat would have to arrange prior to committing. If he's on a football scholarship, he won't be able to play hoops until January, and likely miss spring practice. If the choice comes down to allowing him to play both sports or not signing him, I'm guess Coach Stoops will allow it.

I doubt if Jeffcoat is better than Hardrick, but someone with 1st hand knowledge might have a more accurate guess.

Have some family whose children go to Plano West and know him personally, and they say he's dead serious about playing both football and basketball in college. I'm pretty sure Capel would roll with it, but would Stoops? Also, is Jeffcoat's game better than that of Hardrick's?

The question is would Stoops actually allow the kid to play both sports? It wouldn't be the first time he has put his stamp of approval on the idea publicly, yet not one football player in the Stoops era has made it onto the hardwood so far. It's certainly not due to a lack of BB talent on the football rosters over the years.

I'll believe it when I see it.

The question is would Stoops actually allow the kid to play both sports? It wouldn't be the first time he has put his stamp of approval on the idea publicly, yet not one football player in the Stoops era has made it onto the hardwood so far. It's certainly not due to a lack of BB talent on the football rosters over the years.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I can think of one football player that played another sport(baseball)l but he quit baseball because he had a chance to be a pro football player and he's now starting in the NFL. That's of course Brandon Jones. That's really the only 2 sport guy I can think of under Stoops.

Now lets list the players that were well or rated in both football and basketball?

Sam Bradford was all state in basketball, of course he focused on football at OU. That's the first one that comes to mind.

Gresham was a three star BB recruit as well. That is when Stoops was asked if he would support FB players playing BB. Stoops said if the player had a chance to go out and help the BB team and wouldn't just be on the bench, he was all for it. Of course most of those that are good enough to play college BB are also really good at FB and usually end up concentrating on that. Quentin Cheney is another that comes to mind. I think he was only a two star prospect in BB, but pretty decent none the less.

Gresham was a three star BB recruit as well. That is when Stoops was asked if he would support FB players playing BB. Stoops said if the player had a chance to go out and help the BB team and wouldn't just be on the bench, he was all for it. Of course most of those that are good enough to play college BB are also really good at FB and usually end up concentrating on that. Quentin Cheney is another that comes to mind. I think he was only a two star prospect in BB, but pretty decent none the less.

NO ONE can be worse than chris walker and we gave him a schollie :confused:

As I recall, Adron Tennell was a four star who averaged around 28 ppg in high school. I do know he was being recruited as a basketball player coming out of high school. DeMarco Murray was also highly rated. I'm reasonably sure he was a top 100 player in hoops. Dominique Franks was pretty good. I saw him play in the state playoffs when he was a senior.

The point is there have been several good basketball players on the football team the past few years, and some have said they would like to play both sports. I'm still waiting to see it.

Jackson Jeffcoat and College Bball is not going to happen. I don't even know if he's playing AAU ball.

Found this today:

Source

Jeffcoat shines at Center Stage
By Frank Burlison, Staff Writer
Posted: 07/24/2009 10:29:52 PM PDT

LAS VEGAS - The athlete purported by many recruiting analysts to be the best high school football defensive end in the country was busily engaged in his second favorite sport Friday night.

Jackson Jeffcoat is the target of just about every major college football power in the country.

But the 6-foot-5, 270-pound senior-to-be in Plano West High in Dallas played the role of a heck of a power forward for the Dallas Heroes while leading them to a 69-62 victory over a short-handed Mater Dei team in a pool-play game of the Center Stage boys' basketball tournament at UNLV.

Jeffcoat, whose father, Jim, was a standout defensive lineman for the Dallas Cowboys, had 16 points and 10 rebounds against a Mater Dei team that was playing without its two best players (Tyler Lamb and Gary Franklin, who are playing for the California Supreme team that is competing in the Reebok Tournament at Foothill High in Henderson).

His is a name that football followers of USC and UCLA should soon be well aware of, if they aren't already.

Jeffcoat (accompanied by his father) attended USC's Rising Stars Camp last month along with a lot of other high-level recruiting targets of Coach Pete Carroll.

But the affable Jeffcoat, who bares a striking facial and physical resemblance to the Baltimore Ravens' Ray Lewis ("I hear that all of the time," he said, smiling) insisted that his participation in the camp shouldn't be looked upon a guarantee of things to come.

"I had a great time at USC and we were able to meet all of the coaches and get a feel for the campus and area," he said after the game.

"But we also had a chance to visit UCLA on the same trip."

Unlike a lot of his other heavily recruited peers across the country, Jeffcoat seems in no rush to make a college decision.

"I'll sit down with my dad pretty soon and start talking about it (recruiting)," he said.

"But I've haven't cut my list (of potential schools) or anything like that."

His twin sister, Jacqueline, is also quite the hoopster.

She has already committed to signing a basketball letter of intent with the Oklahoma Sooners in November.

But OU football Coach Bob Stoops hasn't gained a great "in" because of his sister's decision.

"No," he said, smiling again, "there is no kind of `package deal' at all."

Jackson Jeffcoat and College Bball is not going to happen. I don't even know if he's playing AAU ball.
I am pretty sure he is on Team Texas, at the very least he has been in the past.

Actually Jeffcoat is on the Dallas Heroes.
Found it in an article from the GASO at Denton with teams to watch.
DALLAS HEROES 2010
Coach: Ray Johnston, David Milson
Area: DFW Metroplex
Players: Kyan Anderson (North Crowley), Jackson Jeffcoat (Plano West), Nick Hinton (Frisco Wakeland)
Notable: The Heroes are extremely balanced; they can beat you inside and outside. Most importantly, they never seem to give up. Keep an eye on a talent-laden Heroes squad as it makes a run for a championship.

he better grow a few inches if he wants a shot at the hardwood, wherever he decides to go.

He'll be sacking QBs in the NFL. If he goes to OU, I think he'll be the best DLineman in the Stoops era.

He'll be sacking QBs in the NFL. If he goes to OU, I think he'll be the best DLineman in the Stoops era.

i dont think so...
if you find a running back better than AD ill find a better Dineman than Tommie Harris.. so in other words never going to happen

Really meant to say DE. I think he'll be better than Cody, a guy who I think was the best in the Stoops era. I liked Tommy Harris, but he didn't fill up the stat sheets like he should have.

Really meant to say DE. I think he'll be better than Cody, a guy who I think was the best in the Stoops era. I liked Tommy Harris, but he didn't fill up the stat sheets like he should have.

Its called a double team.

He's got a chance. He's the best player in this year's class IMO. He's unstoppable. If he had RJ's first step, it would be unfair.

Back