The Orange.

cfin5256

Reaction score
Figured I would start a discussion thread for the board. I find myself suprised at how well Syracuse is playing considering what they lost from last years team. A 22 point win over Cal, 16 point win over UNC, and a 12 point win over Florida. I haven't been able to watch Syracuse this year so my question for the board and any lurking Syracuse fans is: how good are these guys iyo? Anyone see them in the Final Four this year?

From what I've seen so far I think they can definitely be a Final Four type team.

They added Wesley Johnson, who is a superstar on the wing. Scoop Jardine is a very solid Quannas White type point guard who played well as a freshman but redshirted last year. He's averaging almost 9 points and six assists a game off the bench, just to show how deep they are. Rautins knows his role and can shoot the lights out, and Onuaku and Jackson are solid big men who can score inside, rebound and defend. They also have three or four other guys who are athletic, have good size and quicks and who can do a little bit of everything.

The only red flag to their hot start is that zone can fluster teams still trying to gel early in the season, and as they season goes it can get lit up at times. Kinda like what happened against us last year.

The thing about this year's team though is that they can really, really score. They're averaging 90.4 a game (second in the nation right now) so if they can keep that up that will help them on night's when teams get hot against their zone.

Last edited:
They seem legit to me... They have all the pieces to make a Final Four.

Unless they meet this guy: :crocker

But in all seriousness, they do look really good and I could see them making the Final Four.

Last edited:
That's a good point about the zone being less effective later in the season. I remember one the Syracuse posters saying not too long ago that they are actually better suited this year to the 2-3 they like to run because they have more length. I just didn't picture them actually being better this year when you lose a guy like Flynn. But, they seem to be a better scoring team this year.

That's a good point about the zone being less effective later in the season. I remember one the Syracuse posters saying not too long ago that they are actually better suited this year to the 2-3 they like to run because they have more length. I just didn't picture them actually being better this year when you lose a guy like Flynn. But, they seem to be a better scoring team this year.

Yeah, Jardine is their smallest guard at 6-2. Everyone else is 6-4 or above. They replaced Harris on the wing, who was in the 6-4 range, with the lanky 6-7 Johnson who has a long winspan so that's definitely an improvement there.

You have to mention Syracuse as a legit Final Four contender right now...good PG play, shooters on both sides and some muscle underneath. Just depends on who they draw in their bracket in March.

dude...wesley johnson can sky.

did anyone else see that block against Florida on the fast break? So sick.

Forget who the announcer was who said it but during the Florida game, the comment was made, "Syracuse traded three guys who only played defense because the guidebook said you should in Flynn, Harris and Devendorf for 3 hard nosed guys who love to defend." Seems to be true from what I have seen.

I agree DFW. I thought that Syracuse had a chance to still be good after losing Flynn etc., but didn't think they would be better. From all indications so far, they are. I'm interested to see Syracuse/Pitt, Syracuse/UConn, Syracuse/WVU, and Syracuse/Georgetown. Sets up for some intriguing Big East matchups this year.

Back