Three most commonly misunderstood calls during a basketball game . . .

McG78

Reaction score
In light of the verticality post, I thought I would mention three calls everyone should understand.

1. A defensive player can take a charge while moving his feet. The issue is whether he is in a proper guarding position.

2. As long as it is a legitimate shot, the offender can catch his own "air-ball."

3. And this one is not understood by most refs. You see it late in games when a team is down. The inbounder bounces the ball down the court and the player inbounds does not touch it, to avoid starting the clock, until he is much farther down the court. What refs, coaches, fans, and players don't understand is that the five second inbound count should continue while the ball is bouncing because the ball has not been inbounded. You watch this year how many times this should be called (or how many times the ref stops the count when the ball leaves the inbounders hand instead of at the correct time when the player on the court touches the ball). This is especially an issue when the inbounder holds the ball for a second or two to let the defense clear before passing the ball in.

What are yours?

3. And this one is not understood by most refs. You see it late in games when a team is down. The inbounder bounces the ball down the court and the player inbounds does not touch it, to avoid starting the clock, until he is much farther down the court. What refs, coaches, fans, and players don't understand is that the five second inbound count should continue while the ball is bouncing because the ball has not been inbounded. You watch this year how many times this should be called (or how many times the ref stops the count when the ball leaves the inbounders hand instead of at the correct time when the player on the court touches the ball). This is especially an issue when the inbounder holds the ball for a second or two to let the defense clear before passing the ball in.

did not know that.

What are yours?

I did not know this but I don't think this is actually an issue very often because teams only do this when no one is contesting the in bounds pass. It is pretty unlikely to actually not get touched for 5 seconds.

I did not know this but I don't think this is actually an issue very often because teams only do this when no one is contesting the in bounds pass. It is pretty unlikely to actually not get touched for 5 seconds.

It actually usually is. The ball will sometimes bounce to mid-court.

It actually usually is. The ball will sometimes bounce to mid-court.

I am definitely going to pay attention this season. I have probably seen that happen 100 times but never knew the rule or even considered a 5 second count.

In light of the verticality post, I thought I would mention three calls everyone should understand.

1. A defensive player can take a charge while moving his feet. The issue is whether he is in a proper guarding position.

2. As long as it is a legitimate shot, the offender can catch his own "air-ball."

What are yours?

I wish they would post this at every pick-up game in America, would save at least 30 minutes a day of arguing.

I am just amazed in general how little the public knows the rules of basketball, couldn't tell you how many times someone has been yelling "3 seconds" when it is not even an issue.

I think the verticality issue is very unheard of, the fact that a defender can jump straight in the air, make contact, and still not be a foul. Fans need to understand that basketball IS a contact sport and their can be contact without a foul. I always try to officiate the advantage, makes the game flow and actually teaches younger players to develop. If a team is being pressed and a guard feels like trying to split every tight double team while taking minimal contact, I'm not going to give it to them.

Are you a basketball official mcg? If so I am incorrect but I believe the five second count ends when the player throwing it inbounds lets go of the ball.

btw wikipedia agrees with me. the five second count ends when the inbounding player lets go of the ball, but the game clock doesn't start until it is touched by someone in bounds.

usedtobe1 is a referee iirc. maybe he can weigh in.

I don't think that 5 second rule post is correct, all the officials I am with (most of which do college or 5A here in Texas) have never called that.

Besides, an official wouldn't call that anyway...no advantage.

I don't think that 5 second rule post is correct, all the officials I am with (most of which do college or 5A here in Texas) have never called that.

Besides, an official wouldn't call that anyway...no advantage.

Why isn't it an advantage? It seems to me to be an advantage since it would be a turnover to the other team.

Why isn't it an advantage? It seems to me to be an advantage since it would be a turnover to the other team.

Collegiate and NBA officials would not call that if the defense is sitting on the opposing side of the floor. A lot of the time, officials won't even start a count in the backcourt if there isn't any pressure. Not saying that's right, but players, fans and coaches don't want those type of violations to be called.

I wish they would post this at every pick-up game in America, would save at least 30 minutes a day of arguing.

I am just amazed in general how little the public knows the rules of basketball, couldn't tell you how many times someone has been yelling "3 seconds" when it is not even an issue.

I think the verticality issue is very unheard of, the fact that a defender can jump straight in the air, make contact, and still not be a foul. Fans need to understand that basketball IS a contact sport and their can be contact without a foul. I always try to officiate the advantage, makes the game flow and actually teaches younger players to develop. If a team is being pressed and a guard feels like trying to split every tight double team while taking minimal contact, I'm not going to give it to them.

Pretty sure for the rule of verticality to be in effect the player behind the player with position can not leave his feet.

As per the NCAA rulebook, the 5-sec count ends once the thrower-in passes the ball onto the court. So, nobody has to touch it for the 5-sec count to end.

Here is a question, Do you have to have possession of the ball to travel?

I have seen on two instances a player tapping the ball in the air, while moving down the floor, trying to gain possession and finally after 30 feet grab the ball and put in on the floor and shoot a layup. This has to be a walk. But the player never had possession while tapping it in the air. But I promise you if on the inbound, after that layup, my point guard took the pass and started tapping it in the air and working his way down the floor they would have called walk. ;)

Pretty sure for the rule of verticality to be in effect the player behind the player with position can not leave his feet.

Not true, if it has been deemed the defender jumped vertically without bring down his arms, there can be contact without a foul...the offensive player initiated all the contact.

Not true, if it has been deemed the defender jumped vertically without bring down his arms, there can be contact without a foul...the offensive player initiated all the contact.

I looked this up and you are right.

I think there are some officials out there who know the rules, but when they get into the flow of a game they just kind of lose sight of what the actual rule is. I love when a defender puts his arms straight up and never moves his feet and the offensive player jumps into him and the defender's arms go slightly forward and the refs call the foul. I guess some refs just deem any contact a foul.

I remember Chianti Roberts killing us with one of these in Stillwater.

Back