TMG vs. The Big 12

thebigabd

Reaction score
How do you see TMG stacking up against the other point guards in the Big 12? If you were doing a breakdown of each matchup, would you favor TMG based on what you think he will do at this level?

Oklahoma State: Keiton Page, Fred Gulley, Ray Penn
Texas: Jai Lucas, Dogus Balbay
Kansas: Sherron Collins, Elijah Johnson
Missouri: JT Tiller, Michael Dixon, Miguel Paul
Colorado: Nate Tomlinson, Shannon Sharpe
Kansas State: Denis Clemente
Nebraska: Lance Jeter
Baylor: Tweety Carter
Tech: John Roberson
ISU: Diantte Garrett, Chris Colvin
Texas A&M: Donald Sloan, Dash Harris

I will say this... TMG has his hands full. He will be the most inexperienced and youngest starting point guard in the Big 12 next year. That's not usually a great sign. There is also no real backup, except the shooting guard (Willie Warren)...

there's no doubt that the Big 12 guard play will be among the best in years. it just depends how much of a gamer TMG is; Newcomer of Year/All Big 12 type or just a "nice player".

what do you guys envision from Jai Lucas? my first (uneducated) thought is not much, maybe due to the hoopla with his recruitment, then his average showing at UF and the overall drama that seems to coincide with the Lucas name. the guy is still a runt.

but if he is anything below solid, Texas might have some problems.

there's no doubt that the Big 12 guard play will be among the best in years. it just depends how much of a gamer TMG is; Freshman of Year/All Big 12 type or just a "nice player".

what do you guys envision from Jai Lucas? my first (uneducated) thought is not much, maybe due to the hoopla with his recruitment, then his average showing at UF and the overall drama that seems to coincide with the Lucas name. the guy is still a runt.

but if he is anything below solid, Texas might have some problems.

Fixed it. To my knowledge Newcomer and Freshman are entirely different things. Freshman is pretty self explanatory, however, I'm pretty sure newcomer is for like transfers or JUCO type guys.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jai Lucas is a spot up shooter. He'll run the sets and get them into the offense. Balbay is the better PG, but Lucas may beat him out for PT based on his ability to knock down the three point shot. I think he averages 10pts a game and shoots 30plus percent from three.

I think TMG is the 3rd best pg next year in the big 12. Collins and as much as i hate to admit it, Clemente are better but that is it in my opinion.

He transferred about a week after NU signed Lance Jeter, a 6'3'' 225 juco point guard.

Really? Specifically, which ones do you think he will out produce?

Are you talking about just next year or for an entire career?

Everyone but Sherron, Roberson, and Clemente is my guess. Its awful hard to predict that with so many first year pgs coming in.

If you had to guess his points per game, assists per game, shooting percentages, rebounds per game, and minutes per game what would guess?

If you had to guess his points per game, assists per game, shooting percentages, rebounds per game, and minutes per game what would guess?

(see my stats thread)

10 ppg and 4.5 apg. He won't have to score much for us next year with WW, Gallon, and Crocker.

I said that he would be third on the team in 3 point shooting (high 30s) and from all accounts, he is a good free throw shooter so I bet he hits high 70s to low 80s.

(see my stats thread)

10 ppg and 4.5 apg. He won't have to score much for us next year with WW, Gallon, and Crocker.

I said that he would be third on the team in 3 point shooting (high 30s) and from all accounts, he is a good free throw shooter so I bet he hits high 70s to low 80s.

Sounds about right to me. I don't see him having 4.5 assist though. Maybe three.

Sounds about right to me. I don't see him having 4.5 assist though. Maybe three.

If he only gets 3 then he won't be the fourth best PG in the conference imo. I am banking on a lot of easy ones to WW and Tiny! :clap

Assist are hard to come by. WW made alot of great passses this year and didn't average 3 asst. Also in contrast, Courtney Fortson a strictly pass first PG averaged 5asst and was 25th nationally, Sherron Collins averaged 5 even and was 34th nationally. Austin Johnsoon last year averaged 4. It's a tough feat for a freshman.

(see my stats thread)

I will go with 7.5 points, 3.4 assists per game.

Personally, I think TMG will be the second best point in the conference behind only Collins.

I will go with 7.5 points, 3.4 assists per game.

So you think he is going to start and only hit 1 three a game and complete two drives or make 2 3point shots and 1 drive a game? I think he will do better than that.

If BigTime is right that he will shoot in the high 30s from 3 point range he darn sure better take more than 3 of those a game. Plus this guy is supposed to be able to penetrate and finish. The defense is going to have to focus on Willie Warren and Tiny that should really let him get some nice looks. Of course, I am the eternal optimist when it comes to OU sports.

So you think he is going to start and only hit 1 three a game and complete two drives or make 2 3point shots and 1 drive a game? I think he will do better than that.

If BigTime is right that he will shoot in the high 30s from 3 point range he darn sure better take more than 3 of those a game. Plus this guy is supposed to be able to penetrate and finish. The defense is going to have to focus on Willie Warren and Tiny that should really let him get some nice looks. Of course, I am the eternal optimist when it comes to OU sports.

You make some good points. He is going to be a good three point shooter. I think he makes around two three pointers a game on average. Add in a couple of dribble drives per game and you have around 10 ppg.

The thing that I like about TMG is that he is capable of going off for 25 on any night. :tmg

Back