TMG vs. The Big 12

I will go with 7.5 points, 3.4 assists per game.

These are AJ's numbers. LOL! I don't think numbers will define him. I suspect he'll have big numbers against lesser teams non conference and not score as much against better non conference foes. He'll get scouted early in the conference and not play as well, but at the end of conference season he'll come into his own.

You hate TMG, lol. jk. He will be at least the 3rd best PG in the league come clutch time. Book it.

Just wait till Jeff Capel gets his hands on TMG! :clap I think he's licking his chops.

I loved AJ. Loved his game, his heart, and determination. But he doesn't have the talent a TMG has. TMG is very quick and will demand help defensively otherwise he'll eat up the lane. Of course no one really knows what TMG can do on this level. My guess is though he'll be better than average with the chance to be pretty good. As a freshman can he execute early? Finish at the rim when he's got the chance? Make that transition to the college game? So much depends on TMG... talent wise though he's right there with the top PG's in the league.

Last edited:
Drew Lavender's freshman year stats:

2003-2004 Games 31 MPG 31.4 PPG 11.3 FG% 38.2 3P% 36.8 FT% 78.2 APG 3.9 RPG 2.4 BPG 0.0 SPG 1.7

I think that TMG will average very comparable numbers. The only reason that I am saying 10 ppg instead of a higher number is because WW and Tiny will be the primary scorers. Drew averaged 3.9 APG and I expect TMG to be right at that number/slightly above that number.

So you think he is going to start and only hit 1 three a game and complete two drives or make 2 3point shots and 1 drive a game? I think he will do better than that.

A lot of times he will, but then he also may struggle on the road and against veteran guys he faces in the Big 12.

These are AJ's numbers. LOL!

AJ's numbers as a senior. I just don't think everyone should could too excited about his numbers. He is going to be the 3rd (possibly 4th) option on offense this year. It wouldnt surprised me if he averaged around 10, but 7-8 seems likely.

You hate TMG, lol. jk. He will be at least the 3rd best PG in the league come clutch time. Book it.

Consider it booked.

abd,

what do you think of Drew's first year numbers as compared to TMG's potential first round numbers. I think they will be very similar.

abd,

what do you think of Drew's first year numbers as compared to TMG's potential first round numbers. I think they will be very similar.

Did you have to make us remember that year? I remember that 36 point game against Texas.

Just as a point of reference, OU didn't have a single player average 2 made three pointers a game this past season, or either of the seasons before. Closest was TC in '08 and Neal in '07 with 1.8 each.

Just as a point of reference, OU didn't have a single player average 2 made three pointers a game this past season, or either of the seasons before. Closest was TC in '08 and Neal in '07 with 1.8 each.

Thank you.

Neal did in '06. 1.8 per game would make it very easy for TMG to average the 10ppg that I am calling. What's your point?

WW was at 1.86 per last year and was over 2 per during conference play.

The following players made over 2 per game from the Big 12 last year (I have no reason to doubt that TMG can't do the same):

1.Abrams, A.J.-UT.......... SR 35 105 3.00
2.Dunn, LaceDarius-BU...... SO 39 109 2.79
3.Voskuil, Alan-TTU........ SR 33 91 2.76
4.Muonelo, Obi-OSU......... JR 35 88 2.51
5.Anderson, James-OSU...... SO 35 84 2.40
6.Staiger, Lucca-ISU....... SO 32 74 2.31
7.Carter, Tweety-BU........ JR 36 83 2.31
8.Carter, Josh-TAMU........ SR 34 77 2.26
9.Pullen, Jacob-KSU........ SO 34 75 2.21
10.Collins, Sherron-KU...... JR 35 77 2.20
11.Lawrence, Matt-MU........ SR 38 82 2.16
12.Roberson, John-TTU....... SO 33 71 2.15

There were several more that made 1.9 per and up....

Let me put it another way then....

If TMG came in and shot 40% from three next season, which would be phenomenal, and HIGHLY unlikely in my opinion, to average 2 makes per game, he'd have to average 5 attempts per game.

I just don't see that from a point guard, on a team with WW, Crocker, Davis, Pledger, and Tiny. Unless we are playing North Carolina fast, and getting tons of shots in transition, our pg has no business shooting 5 threes a game as a true frosh. And if you think he'll shoot 40% or better, then we just need to agree to disagree. I'd love to see the number of true frosh pg's that have averaged 5 three point attempts per game, and shot them at 40% or better. I'd imagine that is a pretty small list in recent years.

WW was at 1.86 per last year and was over 2 per during conference play.

The following players made over 2 per game from the Big 12 last year (I have no reason to doubt that TMG can't do the same):

1.Abrams, A.J.-UT.......... SR 35 105 3.00
2.Dunn, LaceDarius-BU...... SO 39 109 2.79
3.Voskuil, Alan-TTU........ SR 33 91 2.76
4.Muonelo, Obi-OSU......... JR 35 88 2.51
5.Anderson, James-OSU...... SO 35 84 2.40
6.Staiger, Lucca-ISU....... SO 32 74 2.31
7.Carter, Tweety-BU........ JR 36 83 2.31
8.Carter, Josh-TAMU........ SR 34 77 2.26
9.Pullen, Jacob-KSU........ SO 34 75 2.21
10.Collins, Sherron-KU...... JR 35 77 2.20
11.Lawrence, Matt-MU........ SR 38 82 2.16
12.Roberson, John-TTU....... SO 33 71 2.15

There were several more that made 1.9 per and up....

Not one freshman on that list.

Let me put it another way then....

If TMG came in and shot 40% from three next season, which would be phenomenal, and HIGHLY unlikely in my opinion, to average 2 makes per game, he'd have to average 5 attempts per game.

I just don't see that from a point guard, on a team with WW, Crocker, Davis, Pledger, and Tiny. Unless we are playing North Carolina fast, and getting tons of shots in transition, our pg has no business shooting 5 threes a game as a true frosh. And if you think he'll shoot 40% or better, then we just need to agree to disagree. I'd love to see the number of true frosh pg's that have averaged 5 three point attempts per game, and shot them at 40% or better. I'd imagine that is a pretty small list in recent years.[/QUOTE]

I don't plan to do the research.

I think that there is a good chance that both TMG and WW will average around 40% on the year from deep. I also think that we will live more on the three next year (and obviously be more accurate and efficient from deep next year).

Let's say TMG only averages 1.8 per year (like Crocker and Willie last year). I still think he will get a couple of buckets driving to the lane (either making them or getting to the line), and will hit a midrange jumper (he loves to fake the drive and pull up from the elbow). Add in one fast break lay up per game (I think we will run more next year) and you can see where I get my 10 per.

Our top four scorers will average the bulk of the points next year. I am predicting:

WW 18
TG 14
TMG and Crock 10 each

That's 52 ppg from those four.

I think Juan has a chance at 7-8 ppg, Cade with 5, Ray Willis/Pledger with 6, and OA/RW/AF with 6.

Around 77 per game which would put us near the top of the Big 12 in PPG (last year we averaged 78.6 and finished third in scoring offense in the Big 12).

Not one freshman on that list.

TMG is that good. I guess we will have to see. The ultimate point that I am making is that he doesn't HAVE to average 2 threes or better per game to get his 10ppg. I am just saying that it could happen, and not to be surprised if it does happen.

I'm curious as to how many times TMG will take a sip of water during the course of a game. 40 minute game that is...overtimes really screw the averages up.

I think TMG is the 3rd best pg next year in the big 12. Collins and as much as i hate to admit it, Clemente are better but that is it in my opinion.

When in doubt go with the coach. I think he'll average 5-6 apg. I also think WW will fill in and be the 5th-6th pg in the league averaging 4 dimes. It'll be like Collison and Westbrook at UCLA, switching pgs when appropriate. Also don't be surprised if Nolan Dennis plays some pg and fares better than many of the above named.

Back