Tony Mitchell to Mizzou

Wow! Great get for Coach Anderson. They are going to continue to be a force with Mitchell and Pressey. Good for the Big 12. :clap

Mitchell with his athleticism would be a good fit in Anderson's press as a 4 if he is properly motivated.

Proper motivation won't be an issue. If that was a concern, Anderson wouldn't have brought him in in the first place.

And for what it's worth, the link posted was taken down for being premature. Mitchell's public statement is that he hasn't made a decision yet... however, all signs point to Mizzou, and apparently he's posted on his facebook that he's committed.

If we don't get Jones, the choice to not pursue this kid, who was open to alot of schools including Marquette, OSU, and KSU, will look like a huge mistake. His game is compared to Latavious Williams game.

If we don't get Jones, the choice to not pursue this kid, who was open to alot of schools including Marquette, OSU, and KSU, will look like a huge mistake. His game is compared to Latavious Williams game.

Don't shoot the messenger here, but there is a reason that OU didn't pursue this one harder. There was mutual interest at one time. I think Sam hit the nail on the head, and I hope that Anderson can get and keep this kid motivated because he has a ton of talent.

Anderson will. He's great with young men and has a history of being a positive influenc on guys like Mithcell is described to be. I think Capel has that same ability. He has had some situations bite him ala Patillo and Maze and he has done some good work on a guy like Clark despite things not working out. I hope he doesn't abandoned a guy just because he has a question mark about other issues.

Anderson, is putting together a class like we did last year. Pressey and Mitchell are a very good core of 4 year guys. Mitchell has the potential to be every bit as good as Carroll.

He was open to a lot of schools at one point... but when it came to making his final decision there was not a lot of room for other teams to get involved.

And like I said... Anderson does not take chances on guys with questionable motivation.

PG: Phil Pressey
SG: Mike Dixon
SG: Kim English
PF: Tony Mitchell
PF: Laurence Bowers

You got yourself a team there, Mr. Anderson.

PG: Phil Pressey
SG: Mike Dixon
SG: Kim English
PF: Tony Mitchell
PF: Laurence Bowers

You got yourself a team there, Mr. Anderson.

I agree. They will hopefully be able to push Kansas in the north, and you know that would make me very happy! :)

He was open to a lot of schools at one point... but when it came to making his final decision there was not a lot of room for other teams to get involved.

And like I said... Anderson does not take chances on guys with questionable motivation.

What's funny to me is as a youth in Oklahoma I had the pleasure of going to basketball camps and recruiting and ran across guys like Bill Self, Tubby, Nolan, Mike Anderson, Gillispie, etc. And I hear guys at these other school sites say what a coach will and won't do. I can assure you that Coach Anderson is not above giving any kid a chance. Just because he gives a kid a chance doesn't mean he doesn't run a tight ship. None of us know Mitchell so it's hard to say anything about his character or academics if we don't know the situation. But if their are reports about those issues, alot of times where there is smoke there is fire.

mitchell is a good person. there are no questions about his motivation or coachability.

there is no smoke w. regard to those issues, nor is there a fire.

What's funny to me is as a youth in Oklahoma I had the pleasure of going to basketball camps and recruiting and ran across guys like Bill Self, Tubby, Nolan, Mike Anderson, Gillispie, etc. And I hear guys at these other school sites say what a coach will and won't do. I can assure you that Coach Anderson is not above giving any kid a chance. Just because he gives a kid a chance doesn't mean he doesn't run a tight ship. None of us know Mitchell so it's hard to say anything about his character or academics if we don't know the situation. But if their are reports about those issues, alot of times where there is smoke there is fire.

Anderson will take chances on guys who may not be great students. He will take an occasional chance on a kid who's made other mistakes in his life (Stefhon Hannah, sticking behind Darryl Butterfield, working hard to keep Keon Lawrence in the fold, recruiting Keith Dewitt despite his own personal/academic issues).

But he won't take a guy who has motivation issues when it comes to the game of basketball.

If Mitchell has issues getting motivated in the classroom, or if he's had some trouble staying focused in other off the court arenas, Anderson will address that and work with him to become a better person. That's what he and his mom commented on most after his visit... it was clear that IF there are issues like that, he and his mom are committed to getting things straightened out and chose MU in part because they know Anderson is the guy to help him do that.

I love what Anderson is building here at Mizzou. Pressey and Mitchell along with Kreklow and Green should be a very solid class to build on for the future. Also from what I understand we are right in the mix for 5 Star 2011 SG Bradley Beal out of St. Louis.

With all the great coaches in this conference I think the Big 12 is going to be a very good hoops league for quite some time. Especially since I don't see Barnes, Self, Anderson, Capel, or Ford leaving for any other jobs any time soon.

Last year was great but I think the fun is just beginning.

Anderson will take chances on guys who may not be great students. He will take an occasional chance on a kid who's made other mistakes in his life (Stefhon Hannah, sticking behind Darryl Butterfield, working hard to keep Keon Lawrence in the fold, recruiting Keith Dewitt despite his own personal/academic issues).

But he won't take a guy who has motivation issues when it comes to the game of basketball.

If Mitchell has issues getting motivated in the classroom, or if he's had some trouble staying focused in other off the court arenas, Anderson will address that and work with him to become a better person. That's what he and his mom commented on most after his visit... it was clear that IF there are issues like that, he and his mom are committed to getting things straightened out and chose MU in part because they know Anderson is the guy to help him do that.

Um, do you realize the amount of students, not just basketball players who have classroom motivation issues? And motivation issues are a little easier to manage when you have tutors and can suspend a guy like JC did to Juan Patillo.

Um, do you realize the amount of students, not just basketball players who have classroom motivation issues? And motivation issues are a little easier to manage when you have tutors and can suspend a guy like JC did to Juan Patillo.

What exactly are you responding to with this? I see the bolded part... but it doesn't really match what you seem to be trying to say (which has nothing to do with any point I've made).

What exactly are you responding to with this? I see the bolded part... but it doesn't really match what you seem to be trying to say (which has nothing to do with any point I've made).

i'm not dm, but i think he's saying that a college coach has a fair amount of leverage in keeping an enrolled player academicly motivated and eligible once he's in college.

but that a college coach doesn't have many tools to use in helping a hs player become eligible.

i'm not dm, but i think he's saying that a college coach has a fair amount of leverage in keeping an enrolled player academicly motivated and eligible once he's in college.

but that a college coach doesn't have many tools to use in helping a hs player become eligible.

Thanx. Can I hire you to articulate my post?

Sidenote: Melvin Watkins is an excellent recruiter. He has a Bob Blake/Bob Simmons affect on parents who will trust kids to go to play for a guy like him and Anderson. The appeal that Capel has one kids is the same appeal that Watkins and Anderson have on parents. Watkins was a talented recruiter for A&M. Acie and Wright were talented guys that he snagged.

Back