Top 25 All Time Programs - Most Appearances in AP Poll

AnotherSoonerInTX

Reaction score

This article came out last week. It marks the 75th anniversary of the AP poll. There is a composite all-time list of teams based on weekly appearances in the Top 25 over the last 75 years.

OU comes in at 23rd. In spite of all that the program has to seem going against it, we've had some really good runs. We're an all-time Top 25 program. A lot of folks don't realize that.

FWIW, neither OSU nor Texas show up in this ranking.

I know at one point we had the longest post season streak.. think 29 yrs. More than any blue blood

It was 25 years - 1982 through 2006. Whoever wrote that article put some effort into it. There are just too many metrics which point to OU being a top-25 all-time program to not include them (some don't, though). One is that post-season streak. Another is the fact we once had a 7-year span of losing literally TWO home games total. Just think how insane that is. Younger folks reading this couldn't comprehend two home losses in seven years. OU also has 5 Final Four appearances (three in the modern era) and has won the most NCAA Tournament games of any school without a Natty. Finally, how many schools can say the past FIVE head coaches have taken their school to the Sweet 16 or beyond? Perhaps a few blue bloods and Oklahoma. That is it. Again, there are just too many metrics to keep them out of the top 25.

It was 25 years - 1982 through 2006. Whoever wrote that article put some effort into it. There are just too many metrics which point to OU being a top-25 all-time program to not include them (some don't, though). One is that post-season streak. Another is the fact we once had a 7-year span of losing literally TWO home games total. Just think how insane that is. Younger folks reading this couldn't comprehend two home losses in seven years. OU also has 5 Final Four appearances (three in the modern era) and has won the most NCAA Tournament games of any school without a Natty. Finally, how many schools can say the past FIVE head coaches have taken their school to the Sweet 16 or beyond? Perhaps a few blue bloods and Oklahoma. That is it. Again, there are just too many metrics to keep them out of the top 25.
wow..didn't knoe that. .I know ku (self) has only lost 17 in 21 years...that's pretty fricking good as well.

We had the longest home winning streak in the country at one point. texas ended it in, IIRC, a OT game.

If the program hadn’t been so mismanaged since Kelvin, we’d be a top 15 program. Lon did a good job repairing some of that with buddy’s teams but then fell into disrepair again and we’re still digging out of it.

The bball program has definitely played second fiddle to the football team, especially as far as funding and support from the athletic department and it’s shown. Getting that new arena would be a massive lift for where the program is now

The bball program has definitely played second fiddle to the football team, especially as far as funding and support from the athletic department and it’s shown. Getting that new arena would be a massive lift for where the program is now

If the rankings took into account things like financial investment and fan support, ou would be near the very top of doing the most with less.

We had the longest home winning streak in the country at one point. texas ended it in, IIRC, a OT game.
I think it was Duke ending a 51 game streak over a Christmas break. 1990 or 1991.

Confession time - I've been to one OU home basketball game in my life - never lived in the state. I'll let this crowd guess which game it was and why I remember.

I think it was Duke ending a 51 game streak over a Christmas break. 1990 or 1991.

Confession time - I've been to one OU home basketball game in my life - never lived in the state. I'll let this crowd guess which game it was and why I remember.
The one I'm thinking of was definitely texas. Their PG, whose name is eluding me, went on a serious scoring tear late in the game to erase our lead.

You're right, sky. Texas's PG - TJ Ford - went off and ruined the senior day of Hollis Price, Quannas White, and Ebi Ere. I believe it ended our 37-game home winning streak.

Correct. We lost the last home game by 1pt to KSU in '87, won every home game (15 each season) in '88, '89, and '90, and lost to Duke in the 7th home game in '91.

I'm guessing you attended that Duke game.

Correct. We lost the last home game by 1pt to KSU in '87, won every home game (15 each season) in '88, '89, and '90, and lost to Duke in the 7th home game in '91.

I'm guessing you attended that Duke game.
Thanks for the additional information. Yes, that is the game I attended. As a teenager, I felt responsible. :)

I've attended OU wins in Austin (NCAA Regional) and in Tulsa, but never in Norman. Plan to see a W in Orlando in a couple of weeks.

I was at that game as well, Hollis and Quannis just ran out of gas and the lead evaporated. We needed other threats to spell them that year and didn’t have them. Fortunately I have a bunch of better memories of LNC lol, like the OU-Missouri game when Coach Tubbs addressed the crowd :)

Thanks for the additional information. Yes, that is the game I attended. As a teenager, I felt responsible. :)

I've attended OU wins in Austin (NCAA Regional) and in Tulsa, but never in Norman. Plan to see a W in Orlando in a couple of weeks.
Sadly, I was at that game as well. If I remember correctly, I’m old now, it was freezing cold and me and my friends waited outside forever In that weather so we could get good seats. During warm-ups we were razzing Hurley and started chanting “hurley sucks”. Billy Packer came over and started asking why we would do that and asking if we were jealous. We immediately began chanting “Packer sucks, Packer Sucks”.

Back