Trae Young, All American

skyvue

Reaction score
I've seldom seen OU's fan base have as complicated a relationship with a star player as we collectively seem to have with Trae Young. Trae's been selected first-team All American by the National Association of Basketball Coaches, the Basketball Writers Association, Sporting News, NBC Sports, Bleacher Report and USA Today, and I've not seen mention of any of those honors here (perhaps I missed them, but I generally read this site on at least a daily basis).

It's odd/interesting that our departing freshman star being named to the first-team All-American by so many organizations (with more surely to come) hasn't been seen as worthy of note. I guess it could be because these aren't the big dogs among those organizations that name All-American teams, but it strikes me as puzzling.

Fan base?

What’s more puzzling to me is his teammates’ reactions.

Crickets.

...I guess it could be because these aren't the big dogs among those organizations that name All-American teams, but it strikes me as puzzling.

Interestingly enough, the first 3 associations you listed are 3 of the 4 that the NCAA recognizes to determine consensus All-America selections, with the AP being the 4th.

So far, the same 5 players have been selected to the first team by each of those organizations: Young, Brunson, Graham, Bagley, and Ayton.

Interestingly enough, the first 3 associations you listed are 3 of the 4 that the NCAA recognizes to determine consensus All-America selections, with the AP being the 4th.

So far, the same 5 players have been selected to the first team by each of those organizations: Young, Brunson, Graham, Bagley, and Ayton.

I stand corrected. It was the AP that I was thinking of as the one most fans would be impressed by. I was figuring the three I mentioned were the most important of those named so far, which is why I mentioned them first, but it was mostly a guess on my part.

Back