Trevor Releford and KC Ross-Miller backup plan

Sooner23

Reaction score
If we don't get McCallum or Pressey, Releford could be a nice get. Here's what Scout had to say about his performance at the Jayhawk Invitational.

After getting off to a little bit of a slow start on Friday night, the Bishop Miege star brought it the rest of the weekend. As fine a ball handler as there is in the country, what he can do with the ball at breakneck speed is fun to watch. If a defender reaches on him, they’ll be taught a lesson. A crowd pleaser who has greatly improved his outside shooting, Releford spent most of the weekend getting to the rim at will.

I guess K.C. Ross-Miller is also in the mix. Is he a better prospect than Releford?

If we don't get McCallum or Pressey, Releford could be a nice get. Here's what Scout had to say about his performance at the Jayhawk Invitational.

I guess K.C. Ross-Miller is also in the mix. Is he a better prospect than Releford?

I heard from an AAU organizer who said K.C. Ross-Miller isn't even worth a look. He likes Dre Evans of Carter High School and Ricky Scott of Irving better than both. Theirs probably someone nationally better. Trevor Releford could end up being a better prospect than his brother who is having problems evolving his game. I think the contingency plan may actually be TJ Taylor and OU would sign an extra wing or post instead of "pure" PG.

Trevor Releford had 30pt & 7 asst in the finals vs Harrison Barnes team. Releford was
13 for 18 from the field. I think he'd make a high major program an outstanding backup PG. A change of pace guy that would give teams fits. He sounds like a much better prospect than KC Ross-Miller to me. Here's a link.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/may/04/pump-n-run-n-done/

Trevor Releford had 30pt & 7 asst in the finals vs Harrison Barnes team. Releford was
13 for 18 from the field. I think he'd make a high major program an outstanding backup PG. A change of pace guy that would give teams fits. He sounds like a much better prospect than KC Ross-Miller to me. Here's a link.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/may/04/pump-n-run-n-done/

Yeah, you guys take him and we'll take McCallum. I think the thing is to watch the summers of Releford and Pressey and see who emerges as the better prospect. Sounds like Releford can shoot, which would give him an advantage over Pressey. Pressey's speed and Court vision are superior, though.

I think the contingency plan may actually be TJ Taylor and OU would sign an extra wing or post instead of "pure" PG.
I like this option, if we can't get Ray or Phil with T.J. already on board the need for a back up PG isn't as great. Why reach on PG if we don't fully need him if their is a better talent still out there?

I think OU coaches may have this line of thinking too. Doesn't seem as if they're recruiting any PGs outside of Pressey and McCallum. My dream class would be Clark, TJ, McCallum, and Cothron. My second class would be Clark, TJ, Pressey, and Oyediji. My third class would be TJ, Clark, Tobi, and another foward like Cobbins. What's amazing is all these classes are realistic and not just internet message board pipe dreams.

i thought i'd heard somewhere that releford was planning to play fball rather than bball in college.

Yeah, I saw where he was rising as a CB. OU is looking at his AAU and High School teammate Justin McCay and are close to getting a commit. He's the top WR in the country.

I really don't think we are even going to pursue Ross-Miller. I would put the other three point guards (including Releford) wayyyyyy ahead of K.C. as far as talent and potential go.

Here's a link and video to Trevor Releford. I really like his game and he seems to be really coming on.

http://theshiver.com/

I was looking to be impressed, but those were some bad highlights. He's better than Ross-Miller from those highlights, but Pressey's overall speed and Playmaking ability seem to be alot higher. I saw there was a link to my man Bradley Beal's highlight tape. That dude is a stud. I wish OU would jump in on him and try to atleast challenge Kansas since Missouri and Illinois aren't much of a challenge. He looks taller than when I saw him the first time. He may end up being 6'4. Jeff Capel was here in St. Louis last week..................

Last edited:
I was looking to be impressed, but those were some bad highlights. He's better than Ross-Miller from those highlights, but Pressey's overall speed and Playmaking ability seem to be alot higher. I saw there was a link to my man Bradley Beal's highlight tape. That dude is a stud. I wish OU would jump in on him and try to atleast challenge Kansas since Missouri and Illinois aren't much of a challenge. He looks taller than when I saw him the first time. He may end up being 6'4. Jeff Capel was here in St. Louis last week..................

OU is definitely recruiting Releford and have positioned themselves well considering he is really impressing people this spring with his play. He has grown to about 5'11 so his size is no longer a big issue.

Last I heard Florida was the leader for Beal with KU, UI, and Mizzou in the hunt as well. He is a stud for sure.

OU is definitely recruiting Releford and have positioned themselves well considering he is really impressing people this spring with his play. He has grown to about 5'11 so his size is no longer a big issue.

Last I heard Florida was the leader for Beal with KU, UI, and Mizzou in the hunt as well. He is a stud for sure.

I'm going to be reserved on Releford until OU offers. I wish that video had clips of him shooting the ball, because I heard he was a decent shooter. Right now, we know OU has an offer out with Pressey and McCallum. I think Pressey is a good possibility and OU has a shot at McCallum. Personally, I like TJ Taylor at the PG better than Releford. If OU can't get Pressey or McCallum, I believe they should settle with TJ at the PG and sign maybe two wings or two post.

Can't believe Florida is the leader for Beal. You know he goes to the same high school David Lee went to and that's probably why. Both have the same High School coach, and that coach mentions Lee in about every interview.

I'm going to be reserved on Releford until OU offers. I wish that video had clips of him shooting the ball, because I heard he was a decent shooter. Right now, we know OU has an offer out with Pressey and McCallum. I think Pressey is a good possibility and OU has a shot at McCallum. Personally, I like TJ Taylor at the PG better than Releford. If OU can't get Pressey or McCallum, I believe they should settle with TJ at the PG and sign maybe two wings or two post.

Can't believe Florida is the leader for Beal. You know he goes to the same high school David Lee went to and that's probably why. Both have the same High School coach, and that coach mentions Lee in about every interview.

Yeah, Florida is in really tight with the St. Louis Eagles as well and from what it sounds like David Lee stays really involved there and all the kids look up to him.

Here's a quote from a Scout article about Releford a week ago:

Releford, who said he was still “wide open,” took an unofficial visit to Oklahoma this past week. Despite not getting to see Sooner head coach Jeff Capel, Releford said the trip was a success.

“It went good,” Releford said. “I liked it. It was nice up there. Coach Capel wasn’t there because he was out of town with family, but I hung out with coach [Ben] Betts and then they took me on a tour and I saw the guys work out.”

It says that OU is "heavily involved" and Eboss also said that Florida, Ohio State, Iowa, and Arizona are also trying to "jump into the mix" so it's starting to sound like he isn't exactly a backup plan.

I'm for anyone and everyone who can penetrate to the basket. We haven't had anyone like that since Nolan Johnson. Last season it seemed as though everyone we played had someone who could and did while we stood and watched. It got to the point that I wished for 5 guys who were not over 6 ft. but could blow by everyone.

Yeah, Florida is in really tight with the St. Louis Eagles as well and from what it sounds like David Lee stays really involved there and all the kids look up to him.

Here's a quote from a Scout article about Releford a week ago:

Releford, who said he was still “wide open,” took an unofficial visit to Oklahoma this past week. Despite not getting to see Sooner head coach Jeff Capel, Releford said the trip was a success.

“It went good,” Releford said. “I liked it. It was nice up there. Coach Capel wasn’t there because he was out of town with family, but I hung out with coach [Ben] Betts and then they took me on a tour and I saw the guys work out.”

It says that OU is "heavily involved" and Eboss also said that Florida, Ohio State, Iowa, and Arizona are also trying to "jump into the mix" so it's starting to sound like he isn't exactly a backup plan.

I posted a portion of this interview a week or so ago and agree that Releford appears to be more than a back up plan for OU. I would also add that his comments following his visit seems to suggest that the feelings may be mutual.

I posted a portion of this interview a week or so ago and agree that Releford appears to be more than a back up plan for OU. I would also add that his comments following his visit seems to suggest that the feelings may be mutual.

There's a difference between offers and interest. One of my teammates got over 100 letters and coaches to see him play all the time. When it came down to a big offer, Bill Self and Tubby Smith were the only ones to offer. Of course they were at ORU and Tulsa at the time. The interview that you quoted Grace said that he made an unofficial. He did and talked to Betts. His friend, and top 100 WR Justin McCay made the trip with him. Basically, Releford was a tag along with McCay, who is the number one WR prospect for OU. If the offer comes, that means that OU is in bad shape with Pressey, McCallum and maybe Clark in my opinion. Right now Releford looked real developmental from that tape. I see the talent there, but he doesn't seem natural at the point. Now a 3min tape isn't fair evaluation, but if he is a developmental type PG, why not develop TJ, who's already a guy who is very stong with the ball and can get to the rim alot better than Releford.

There's a difference between offers and interest. One of my teammates got over 100 letters and coaches to see him play all the time. When it came down to a big offer, Bill Self and Tubby Smith were the only ones to offer. Of course they were at ORU and Tulsa at the time. The interview that you quoted Grace said that he made an unofficial. He did and talked to Betts. His friend, and top 100 WR Justin McCay made the trip with him. Basically, Releford was a tag along with McCay, who is the number one WR prospect for OU. If the offer comes, that means that OU is in bad shape with Pressey, McCallum and maybe Clark in my opinion. Right now Releford looked real developmental from that tape. I see the talent there, but he doesn't seem natural at the point. Now a 3min tape isn't fair evaluation, but if he is a developmental type PG, why not develop TJ, who's already a guy who is very stong with the ball and can get to the rim alot better than Releford.

THat's all well and good other than connected sources saying that OU is "heavily involved" with Releford so you saying he is only a tag along seems like an opinion out of left field.

Also, Releford is really blowing up this spring so OU's interest is definitely justified. I think OU is staying involved with Releford as their 2nd option but are recruiting him with a lot of effort. I don't think OU has much of a shot with McCallum, totally just my feeling but I think it's Pressey then Releford for OU.

THat's all well and good other than connected sources saying that OU is "heavily involved" with Releford so you saying he is only a tag along seems like an opinion out of left field.

If it was a planned unofficial, I'm sure Capel would have made himself available. As it was, Capel was on the road visiting family.

Also, Releford is really blowing up this spring so OU's interest is definitely justified

Then KU should offer him

I don't think OU has much of a shot with McCallum,

Of course you wouldn't. No way OU could match up against mighty Kansas in a recruiting battle.

totally just my feeling but I think it's Pressey then Releford for OU.

I would hope so, however I'm not Coach Capel, and I damn sure am not the talent evaluator he is. But if it were my call and McCallum and Pressey were off the board, I would go for the best player available regardless of position. The one thing that may play is OU may have 5 scholarships instead of the 4 that OU is scheduled to have. If their was an extra scholarship, then I think it would be a decent move to sign Releford IF he is open to attending OU. Personally, from what I have seen of TJ Taylor, I like his size, like his athletic ability, like his ball handling, and love his on ball defense. The area where he lacks is shooting and is not the established floor manager as OU's other targets. If you can get away with not being a great shooter at a position, it would be at the point.

I think OU has a great shot at landing McCallum. In fact, I think we have a better shot at getting McCallum then we do with Pressey.

Back