Trying to be optimistic but...........

Sooner Season

Reaction score
Then I see projections like this. I guess we should celebrate we have one "Under the radar" transfer.

Let’s see how things play out.
What does this even mean? It's a message board. People are allowed to make predictions or comment on predictions made by national writers or other posters. We are now four seasons into this "let's see how things play out" theme. Of course the season will ultimately play itself out, but in the meantime, we can all look at our offseason and roster makeup and form our own opinions on how we see things going. I have ZERO doubt that if there were projections putting us near the top of the league, those would be plastered all over the board.

If this prediction is even close to accurate then Moser is a dead man walking. Obviously the team could shock the world, but after the last 3 years it doesn't seem all that likely. I find it odd that Fears is not predicted to start by this guy?

If this prediction is even close to accurate then Moser is a dead man walking. Obviously the team could shock the world, but after the last 3 years it doesn't seem all that likely. I find it odd that Fears is not predicted to start by this guy?
I did find that strange but perhaps he already had most of the column written before Fears committed. I guess a lot depends on whether Fears was essentially promised a starting spot. I'm excited about him but it's not like he is a top 10 recruit, one-and-done player. Regardless of whether he starts, I think it's unlikely that Fears will dramatically raise our ceiling this season since the rest of the roster has so many weaknesses.

I think he should spend some time updating his website.

Let's look at his big 12 predictions for last year

JR's prediction (actual)
1 KU (6)
2 Houston (1)
3 Texas (7)
4 Baylor (3)
5 TCU (8)
6 KSU (10)
7 TTU (4)
8 ISU (2)
9 WVU (14)
10 OSU (13)
11Cincy (11)
12 OU (9)
13 BYU (5)
14 UCF (12)

But hey, maybe he was better with the SEC
1 A&M (7)
2 Arkansas (12)
3 Tenn (1)
4 UK (2)
5 MSU (9)
6 Auburn (3)
7 Bama (4)
8 Mizzou (14)
9 Ole Miss (10)
10 Florida (6)
11 LSU (8)
12 Vandy (13)
13 Georgia (11)
14 USC (5)

Bottom line: It is a crap shoot to guess standings in the age of the portal

What does this even mean? It's a message board. People are allowed to make predictions or comment on predictions made by national writers or other posters. We are now four seasons into this "let's see how things play out" theme. Of course the season will ultimately play itself out, but in the meantime, we can all look at our offseason and roster makeup and form our own opinions on how we see things going. I have ZERO doubt that if there were projections putting us near the top of the league, those would be plastered all over the board.
It means…. Let’s see if we actually finish 14th.

Is finishing 8th over 14 shocking the world?

Fears vs a 23-24 year old super senior…

I’d take fears still but JR is just guessing.

Is finishing 8th over 14 shocking the world?

Fears vs a 23-24 year old super senior…

I’d take fears still but JR is just guessing.
I'd guess Steve, like a lot of us, feels like anything other than making the tournament (i.e., the actual round of 64, not the play-in crap) should mean curtains for Moser. Conference standings in a 16-team league that doesn't play a double round robin can come down to weird tie breakers and good or bad scheduling luck. Make the damn tournament. One time in four years should be a reasonable expectation at a program that essentially never missed before he arrived in Norman.

I'd guess Steve, like a lot of us, feels like anything other than making the tournament (i.e., the actual round of 64, not the play-in crap) should mean curtains for Moser. Conference standings in a 16-team league that doesn't play a double round robin can come down to weird tie breakers and good or bad scheduling luck. Make the damn tournament. One time in four years should be a reasonable expectation at a program that essentially never missed before he arrived in Norman.
Ive said it before. Win or move on. But by all metrics we were hosed last year. (I know it doesn’t count)

Ive said it before. Win or move on. But by all metrics we were hosed last year. (I know it doesn’t count)
You and a couple others keep repeating this and it is false. Our NET was lower than what typically makes it as an at large. People focus on some of the teams that made it in front of us, like UVA, and think we should have been in ahead of them. But even if you think we were better than a couple of the teams that made it, that doesn't mean we were deserving. Indiana State is at least one example of a better team that also missed the cut. And as TEVans pointed out recently, the new metrics that will be officially considered this season would have absolutely hurt our cause last season.

You and a couple others keep repeating this and it is false. Our NET was lower than what typically makes it as an at large. People focus on some of the teams that made it in front of us, like UVA, and think we should have been in ahead of them. But even if you think we were better than a couple of the teams that made it, that doesn't mean we were deserving. Indiana State is at least one example of a better team that also missed the cut. And as TEVans pointed out recently, the new metrics that will be officially considered this season would have absolutely hurt our cause last season.
It isn't false. Most mocks had us in pretty handily. It caught just about everyone off guard...people that do it for a living

lol it took a shocking amount of bid thieves for OU not to make it last year that is a fact ..

The bottom line is that we didn't make the field last season and the team only has itself to blame. We won 2 games against tournament teams from January until the end of the season. I don't know what's going to happen this season obviously, but I am not filled with great confidence. Fears will help, but man are we thin. I'm not a Moser fan but I don't know if any coach could step in at OU and win without a major investment in the program from administration and others.

It isn't false. Most mocks had us in pretty handily. It caught just about everyone off guard...people that do it for a living
So in your mind, the fact that people who aren’t on the committee thought we would make it means that the people who are on the committee got it wrong? So if polls predict that a certain candidate will win an election but that doesn’t end up happening, does that mean the polls were right and the actual outcome was wrong?

Also, there aren’t very many people who “do it for a living.”

I think he should spend some time updating his website.

Let's look at his big 12 predictions for last year

JR's prediction (actual)
1 KU (6)
2 Houston (1)
3 Texas (7)
4 Baylor (3)
5 TCU (8)
6 KSU (10)
7 TTU (4)
8 ISU (2)
9 WVU (14)
10 OSU (13)
11Cincy (11)
12 OU (9)
13 BYU (5)
14 UCF (12)

But hey, maybe he was better with the SEC
1 A&M (7)
2 Arkansas (12)
3 Tenn (1)
4 UK (2)
5 MSU (9)
6 Auburn (3)
7 Bama (4)
8 Mizzou (14)
9 Ole Miss (10)
10 Florida (6)
11 LSU (8)
12 Vandy (13)
13 Georgia (11)
14 USC (5)

Bottom line: It is a crap shoot to guess standings in the age of the portal

Getting only 1/28 correct is actually kind of impressive haha

So in your mind, the fact that people who aren’t on the committee thought we would make it means that the people who are on the committee got it wrong?
Yes...considering that those that do it for a living actually follow basketball speficially pretty closely. And those on the committee are high level ADs or conference commissioners whose criteria seems to change year over year.

Yes...considering that those that do it for a living actually follow basketball speficially pretty closely. And those on the committee are high level ADs or conference commissioners whose criteria seems to change year over year.
I would love to see your list of people who make a living doing bracketologoy.

In any event, your argument makes no sense. Let's pretend that the criteria does change "every year" for the same of argument. That actually makes it even more ridiculous to suggest that random folks who aren't on the committee actually are better equipped to select the field.

I would love to see your list of people who make a living doing bracketologoy.

In any event, your argument makes no sense. Let's pretend that the criteria does change "every year" for the same of argument. That actually makes it even more ridiculous to suggest that random folks who aren't on the committee actually are better equipped to select the field.
There’s was an “expert” that picked all teams correct except 1…. Oklahoma virgina debacle

there’s are a ton more qualifed than random ad’s looking for a resume builder even you could’ve seen that!

You think even the great Joe C watches the bubble team’s ? Breaks down injury re ord vs full strength ?

No chance

Back