Trying to be optimistic but...........

I think people greatly exaggerate the importance of one-off noncon games. The scouting and preparation for conference games is far more intensive than for nonconference games. Not to mention the focus and intensity of the players is ramped up in league games. Being able to win a game in December in the middle of finals against an SEC team doesn’t mean we will be able to hold up over 18 games when teams are locked in and familiar with our offense and playing with a lot more intensity.

Middle of finals ? That’s a new one of why we won!

You are special!

Middle of finals ? That’s a new one of why we won!

You are special!
I didn't say it is why we won. I said that there are a lot of reasons why conference games are much different than noncon games. Can you honestly disagree with that? I don't know about you, but it sure feels to me like our games in Lawrence and Stillwater and Waco tend to have a bit more juice and intensity than, say, our win over Florida in the Jordan deal two years ago.

I didn't say it is why we won. I said that there are a lot of reasons why conference games are much different than noncon games. Can you honestly disagree with that? I don't know about you, but it sure feels to me like our games in Lawrence and Stillwater and Waco tend to have a bit more juice and intensity than, say, our win over Florida in the Jordan deal two years ago.
Sure very different but you listed that for an excuse for why the other team didn’t play well. I mean I’m guessing both teams were in finals but a little secret. Most kids never step foot in a classroom. It’s all online where’s finals can be done early kids will load up on class the first half of the semester and maybe 0-1-2 last part of the semester and then flip it for classes 2nd semester.

I believe Arkansas games in Tulsa had same tenacity as most big 12 games. You have a point on tournament games. Neither teams will have games the school days finals week. Possibly sat or sun Brefore and after.

I believe Arkansas games in Tulsa had same tenacity as most big 12 games. You have a point on tournament games. Neither teams will have games the school days finals week. Possibly sat or sun Brefore and after.
The Arky games were intense, no doubt you are right about that. But my overall point is one that I think 100 percent of college coaches would agree with. Conference games are a different animal than nonconference games, even nonconference games between two great teams. Plus, the sample size of games we have played against the SEC under Moser is so small. A game or two a season is not enough to draw any conclusions about how we will do over 18 games in a two-month span. I’d feel the same way if our record against the SEC was bad, by the way.

I think we will likely be very similar to what we have been in the Big 12 recently. We will pick up some wins against the other teams at the bottom of the league, but struggle badly against the top of the conference.

I wouldnt put too much stock in this. I would expect them to underestimate OU and Texas since they are the new kids. I could see us finishing in the 9 or 10 range.

The overall talent level for OU is bottom half of the SEC. So why should we expect anything other than these predictions? OU didn't get any of their plan A transfers, and aside from Fears, their recruiting class is either raw or not really a super prospect (Forsythe and Atok may be good, but not expecting much this season is reasonable). Atok is a stick with arms, and needs to gain a lot of weight to make a difference

Serious question we might as well discuss since it is true off season. If NIL does not become a thing and old rules were still in place. What is Moser's record over the past 3 years?

10-12 more wins better would be my guess.
If NIL and the portal didn't exist, how would our program be better? Would that have helped develop Uzan and Oweh? Would Tanner and Jacob have become more athletic and better able to compete in the Big 12? Would we have been able to sign better high school players? We are entering year four and other than some promising stretches from Los and Oweh as freshmen, we have essentially nothing to show for any of the high school recruits Moser has signed. Hopefully Fears bucks that trend, but while Moser deserves credit for landing him, we also got fortunate that he decided to decommit from Illinois and reclassify at the last minute. Otherwise, we would be going into this season with another freshman class likely to make no impact.

Let's say for the sake of argument that some guys in the portal didn't seriously consider us because we didn't have strong NIL packages. Ok, in a non-NIL world, those guys either wouldn't have been on the market in the first place, or, if they did transfer, they would have likely based their decision solely on basketball factors. Would we have beaten out top programs for elite players in that world?

And remember, the two best players on our team last year were transfers. Under the old rules, what are the chances Moore and Soares would have ended up in Norman?

Serious question we might as well discuss since it is true off season. If NIL does not become a thing and old rules were still in place. What is Moser's record over the past 3 years?

10-12 more wins better would be my guess.
I could def see an additional 2-3 wins/year under that scanario. What some people aren't thinking about (shocker) is not only how it impacts our roster, but also how it would have impacted other team's rosters in the Big 12. Some of the teams at the top, wouldn't have been as "loaded" as they were..with the help of NIL, etc. They are only looking at it from the OU roster perspective.

I could def see an additional 2-3 wins/year under that scanario. What some people aren't thinking about (shocker) is not only how it impacts our roster, but also how it would have impacted other team's rosters in the Big 12. Some of the teams at the top, wouldn't have been as "loaded" as they were..with the help of NIL, etc. They are only looking at it from the OU roster perspective.
How do you presume to know what I’m thinking of? Which Big 12 schools, specifically, are you referring to? We aren’t even in the same stratosphere as KU, Houston, Baylor, etc. ISU already was killing it with transfers before NIL. KSU took Johnson, who most teams shied away from due to his heart issue, and Nowell, who came from a much smaller school and wasn’t exactly a hot commodity. You think either of them got huge NIL deals? Texas has always pulled in highly rated players. The Big 12 has been the best conference in America for a while. NIL hasn’t changed that. The league has also lost good players in the portal, too.

How do you presume to know what I’m thinking of? Which Big 12 schools, specifically, are you referring to? We aren’t even in the same stratosphere as KU, Houston, Baylor, etc. ISU already was killing it with transfers before NIL. KSU took Johnson, who most teams shied away from due to his heart issue, and Nowell, who came from a much smaller school and wasn’t exactly a hot commodity. You think either of them got huge NIL deals? Texas has always pulled in highly rated players. The Big 12 has been the best conference in America for a while. NIL hasn’t changed that. The league has also lost good players in the portal, too.
You talk to much and it’s nonsense. Everyone sees right through your clown posts. Go root for the Kansas teams.

Back