Update: Juco PG Darrion Strong committed to OU

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Edit: Committed to OU tonight (9/14).

Sounds like this could come down to an OU-Iowa State battle. Anyone heard differently? Really good-looking prospect.

Pre-visit article by Scout: http://www.scout.com/college/oklahoma/story/1582131-juco-pg-darrion-strong-set-for-ou-visit

Darrion Strong Named 3rd Team NJCAA All-American

March 31, 2015
Men's basketball NJCAA All-American teams were released on March 31 and Coffeyville Red Raven freshman guard Darrion Strong was named to the third team.

Strong was second in scoring in the Jayhawk Conference this past season, averaging 21.3 points per game. Strong hit 42% of his three-point attempts, making 108 out of 257. He shot 47% overall from the field, making 222-of-471 shot attempts. From the free throw line, Strong connected of 83% of his attempts, 130 out of 156.

Strong was earlier named Jayhawk East Most Valuable Player and Freshman of the Year. He was also named first team All-Conference and first team All-Region VI.

http://www.coffeyville.edu/news/Darrion-Strong-Named-3rd-Team-NJCAA-All-American.cfm

High School Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb1RNGnU5Qg

lg_6A85F74E-5056-A015-DAE1D633FB585FBF.jpg

Re: Juco PG Darrion Strong visited last weekend

I think OU will hold off on "letting" him commit if he wanted to... OU feels great about the NoLa duo...

Also Donovan Jackson committed to ISU as a Juco pg... I think they may back off. (our ISU guy will know better)

He has lots of offers and KU may come knocking soon...

Sounds like he had a great visit and almost committed. He has visits to Iowa State and Kansas coming up...If OU was his last visit, he would've committed. OU is now his leader.

Do we have room for the LA duo and Strong?

Sounds like he had a great visit and almost committed. He has visits to Iowa State and Kansas coming up...If OU was his last visit, he would've committed. OU is now his leader.

Do we have room for the LA duo and Strong?

If CJ goes to Med school, yes

He looks good, but is only 6'.
I would take the 6' 4" Jarreau out of La over him. I think he has a very high ceiling. Jarreau could play some serious defense with his length and quickness.

I'm guessing we can get Strong if we really want him. Iowa State already has a commitment from Donovan Jackson, and they don't need 2 almost identical Juco PG's. It would surprise me if KU needs him other than as a backup. He has a better chance for quality minutes at OU.

I bet they hold off pushing for a commitment until Jarreau and Graham visit on Oct 3rd.

I don't think he's a PG. He's a scorer ... is that what we need at PG?

I don't think he's a PG. He's a scorer ... is that what we need at PG?
Last year Coffeyville had zero talent inside, so Darrion had no choice but to be a scorer.

The question in my mind is going to be his defensive ability. Don't recall his defense being more than average when I saw him play last year. Stepping up to D1, could be a problem for a 6' guy with shoes on.

Last edited:

Rather have a high schooler.. but Kansas and Iowa state being interested interests me!

This means we wouldn't have enough scholarships for Jarreau and Gresham. it also might have Jarreau lose interest since they play the same position.

This means we wouldn't have enough scholarships for Jarreau and Gresham. it also might have Jarreau lose interest since they play the same position.

Incorrect. There's room.

I'd love to see JUCO highlights if they exist, but he looks like quite a player. I know JUCOs aren't what they used to be, but he is still tearing it up as a freshman. My guess is that he will contribute pretty quickly. We'll need another PG who can come in and play so let's hope he is motivated.

Back