We could lose 8 games in a row

buttermaker1

Reaction score
Looking at our schedule this could shape up to being the worst OU basketball team in the last 30-40 years. Ouch

The D last night was just horrible, CU whipped us.

But hey, we have 3 MCDAA!!! Yay!!

And a total of 8 top 100 guys: WW, TMG, Gallon, Fitzgerald, Pledger, Willis, Crocker and Ryan Wright.

I think we will see some serious improvement from Pledger but at this point you really have to wonder what recruiting services saw in Pledger and Ryan Wright at the high school level that earned those rankings. Pledger is slow and Ryan Wright is simply a respectable college post role player.

And a total of 8 top 100 guys: WW, TMG, Gallon, Fitzgerald, Pledger, Willis, Crocker and Ryan Wright.

I think we will see some serious improvement from Pledger but at this point you really have to wonder what recruiting services saw in Pledger and Ryan Wright at the high school level that earned those rankings. Pledger is slow and Ryan Wright is simply a respectable college post role player.

Recruiting is overrated. You can't evaluate recruiting till they do something at their schools.

McDonald's All-Americans just aren't what they used to be. Now what we really need are some Johnnie's Charcoal Broiler All-Americans.

I'm willing to bet that they both end up being very good players.

The problem is not that recruiting services are wrong (most of the time)... the problem is that people have inflated expectations about what to expect from true freshmen... even highly recruited true freshmen.

People like Blake Griffin and TMG are - by far - the exception to the rule.

Most freshmen, no matter how highly touted, have a very steep learning curve coming into college.

Looking at our schedule this could shape up to being the worst OU basketball team in the last 30-40 years. Ouch

The D last night was just horrible, CU whipped us.

Splitting hairs, but this is not the worst team in "the last 30-40 years". The 81 team was like 8-19. It IS however going to be the worst team since then if we don't start winning some games. The 06-07 team was 16-15.

The problem is not that recruiting services are wrong (most of the time)... the problem is that people have inflated expectations about what to expect from true freshmen... even highly recruited true freshmen.

Most freshmen, no matter how highly touted, have a very steep learning curve coming into college.

Precisely, there are only a handful of players hitting Division I on a yearly basis who are fully ready to compete mentally and physicall, night-in and night-out. Look at Kansas State, Wally Judge is going to be a great player for them down the road, he just isn't there right now compared to other guys on his roster.

If there were players on this team as upperclassmen who could carry us the majority of the year, people would just say a freshman is "coming along" or "developing" if he struggled during games. But because our freshman are literally learning on the fly in a trial by fire, they aren't going to develop, Capel needs to revaluate his system, their rankings were overrated, etc.

You want to jump on Capel for not having the upperclassmen in place? That's fair game, but to expect four freshmen to come into a #1 Big XII ranked conference and compete for a tourney bid is ridiculous. Could it happen if all the pieces were correct, sure. But none of our freshmen (not even TMG) are bona fide super-stars right now (see John Wall). One aspect of learning to play at this level is undestanding how HARD you have to work...everyday in practice and every game. The concept sounds simple, but there is a legitimate learning curve. Take some law or grad schools for example...at that level, everyone is smart and intelligent, they had to be to get in to the school. Some feel that they can just rely on their basic or genetic intelligence to get through with school, but once you get on campus you realize that isn't enough. You have to literally out-work your counterparts everyday to get ahead. That is what our freshmen are going through now, learning that everyone at this level was All-something (american, state, etc) and very talented.

The fact that people are giving up on four freshman is beyond me and pretty much shows a lack of knowledge for basketball concerned with talent transferring to the Division I level.

Last edited:
I still cannot believe we lost Blake, Taylor, AJ, Patillo, and Omar, replaced them with freshman, and we are worse. Shocking.

Splitting hairs, but this is not the worst team in "the last 30-40 years". The 81 team was like 8-19. It IS however going to be the worst team since then if we don't start winning some games. The 06-07 team was 16-15.

Yup Tubbs first year sucked

Do you wonder what the recruiting services saw in them more than the coaching staff?

The only thing worse than McDonald's All-Americans are the Jack in the Box All Americans. Those are some low quality guys.

This season has been way way worse than I anticipated it could be even a month ago, but I still think that next year, and the year after, this group will show immense improvement and become a pretty good team. I'm not ready to jump ship on Capel yet. I think TMG, Pledger, and Fitz have all shown that they can be pretty good (pretty great in TMG's case) players in time. I still haven't lost hope that Ray Willis can become a consistent contributor. I think Willie decides to come back next year. Tiny, in time, will become a force.

It's just way too early to be down on every young guy on the roster.

I still cannot believe we lost Blake, Taylor, AJ, Patillo, and Omar, replaced them with freshman, and we are worse. Shocking.

It is not a matter of worse. It is that OU really doesn't even compete away from Norman. The average loss away from Norman is by 13.5 points per game.

Nobody expected OU to be a Great 8 team this year but fans have a right to expect OU to compete in the Big XII.

Nobody expected OU to be a Great 8 team this year but fans have a right to expect OU to compete in the Big XII.

Maybe not Elite 8/Top Ten but they were Top 20/15 in plenty of polls. I think the entire nation expected much more out of this team.

Jeff, way too much sense in this post.

Back