Well, if there was any hope left of Gillispie being available.....

WTSooner

Reaction score
There isn't now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6239727

Report: Texas Tech hires Billy GillispieEmail Print Comments11 ESPN.com news services

Texas Tech has hired Billy Gillispie as coach, the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal reported Sunday, four days after the former Kentucky and Texas A&M coach interviewed with newly installed athletic director Kirby Hocutt.

Gillispie

The Lubbock newspaper reported Gillispie had agreed to a five-year deal and that the move would be announced later Sunday.

Gillispie, who also coached at Texas El-Paso, was fired at Kentucky in 2009 after two tumultuous seasons.

Texas Tech said before the Big 12 tournament that Pat Knight would not return next season and Knight publicly endorsed Gillispie for the job.

Hocutt interviewed Gillispie on Wednesday in Palm Beach, Fla.

Texas Tech chancellor Kent Hance met with Gillispie earlier this month in Dallas and Hance said he got a "very good" impression.

A "good recruiter and a good salesman" is how Hance described the native of Abilene, a few hours east of Lubbock.

In 2009, Kentucky fired Gillispie after the Wildcats went 40-27 in two seasons under him and missed the NCAA tournament for the first time in 17 years.

John Calipari, the former Memphis coach, replaced him.

Five months later in August 2009, Gillispie was arrested on a drunken driving charge. In November 2009, he pleaded guilty to driving under the influence.

Tech just became very relevant in college basketball.

NIT next year, NCAA Tournament the next.

I really feel like this move puts TT ahead of at least a couple of the remaining Big 12 schools. We'll see how it plays out, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them finishing around 5th or 6th in the conference most years.

OU needs a nice hire here to keep up.

Good. Hopefully, this forces Joe C. to loosen the purse strings.

I really feel like this move puts TT ahead of at least a couple of the remaining Big 12 schools. We'll see how it plays out, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them finishing around 5th or 6th in the conference most years.

Great hire to TT. There is some risk obviously but there is also a chance for great reward. I like BCG and think he is a fine coach.

If you put really good teams together with solid talent, multiple teams from a conference can go to the Big Dance. So I am not worried as I believe that we will make a great hire and be back in the thick of things before you know it.

I also suspect that we will pay more for a coach than most folks have guessed that we will.

This spells trouble for Ford and Drew, IMO. They may be out of a job in a few years. The same for Hoiberg and Martin but it will be a few years before either of those is fired.

We have to get a good coach this time or Tech will surpass us like a thief in the night.

I didnt want the guy. Hes had a lot of personal problems and he underachieved at one of the meccas of college basketball. We can do better, I dont want that type of person as my coach.

Chris Level tweet - "Gillispie has indicated he's got players ready to bring with him to #TexasTech. He has one scholarship to give but that could change."

So Texas Tech fires a coach (Leach) for the shed incident but hires a guy that banished a kid to a bathroom and an equipment truck?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Harrellson’s most memorable struggle surely came at Vanderbilt last season.

Then UK Coach Billy Gillispie ordered Harrellson to listen to the halftime instruction from a bathroom stall.

“The bathroom was connected,” Harrellson said in trying to downplay the significance of incident. “I still listened to the game plan. I still watched what he (Gillispie) was doing.”

Harrellson acknowledged feeling humiliated “a little bit,” but added that the banishment inflicted no lasting damage.

“I didn’t take it any way,” he said. “I just knew he (Gillispie) was frustrated because of what was going on. Nobody playing hard or good at the time.”

Gillispie, an unabashed Bob Knight fan, might have been mimicking his coaching career. He certainly made a Knight-like move after the 77-64 loss at Vanderbilt by ordering Harrellson to ride back to Lexington in an equipment truck and not with his teammates.

“That’s because I had a class at eight in the morning, supposedly,” Harrellson said. “Because the equipment truck was faster. Something like that.”

When asked if that explanation should be believed, Harrellson said, “Nope.”"
http://www.straitpinkie.com/kentuck...uple-of-the-billy-gillispie-coaching-stories/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone still think that Leach firing had anything to do with "the shed"?

Last edited:
oh no, we suck again!
wesuckagain.jpg

Tech fired a coach for putting a player in a shed, now hired a coach who banished a player to toilet stall and equipment truck.

Mike Leach was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too good for Taco Tech to begin with.

The cupboard is empty at taco tech. I don't expect immediate success with BcG.

The cupboard is empty at taco tech. I don't expect immediate success with BcG.

Chris Level: Gillispie has indicated he's got players ready to bring with him to #TexasTech. He has one scholarship to give but that could change.

Chris Level: Have heard exact same RT @kbohls: How long before Tech bball becomes relevant? A Billy Clyde friend told me BCG has 6 plyers lined up alrdy.

SportsbyBrooks: Billy Gillispie already recruiting. Eastern Oklahoma and Arkansas this weekend. Expect him to bring a haul to TTU.

Chris Level: Gillispie has indicated he's got players ready to bring with him to #TexasTech. He has one scholarship to give but that could change.

Chris Level: Have heard exact same RT @kbohls: How long before Tech bball becomes relevant? A Billy Clyde friend told me BCG has 6 plyers lined up alrdy.

SportsbyBrooks: Billy Gillispie already recruiting. Eastern Oklahoma and Arkansas this weekend. Expect him to bring a haul to TTU.

Stop with the f'n tweets. I don't care.

Back