Western Kentucky

FOX Sports SW which is Uverse 754 in Dallas at 7:00 Friday.

Louisville beat Western Kentucky 102-80 last night. Leading scorer for Western Kentucky was West Virginia transfer guard Alexis Brewer.

I'm glad we didn't play there. Fouls were a bit uneven, and Brewer was 12 of 16 from the line where W KY scored 26. Starters played well. Depth was non-existent.

They seem to like to steal and play defense same as we do. Louisville is a bit better than NE So, comparisons are inappropriate. I wonder how they will do against Madi and Shaina?

This is not related to this specific thread but I went into our class of 2019 commitments on ESPN hoopgurlz and saw we had a fourth player on there, she's not ranked but her rating overall is 89% her name is Holly Kersgieter... Anyone know anything about this? Maybe it's a mistake?

Nevermind I Googled her name and saw she committed to KU last year so it's definitely a glitch and a mistake on the website!

I'm a little annoyed. It said the game was on fox sports sw, however i have the mobile app and it's not on right now. Anybody know what's up with that?

Madi is a good rebounder for her size... Taylor could be the best shooter in the country.

Cant get the audio on radio, either.

I'm a little annoyed. It said the game was on fox sports sw, however i have the mobile app and it's not on right now. Anybody know what's up with that?

It was on FSN on Cox Cable in Tulsa. The men were on Fox Southwest.

Who was the star of the game? TV said Shaina. I guess with 33 points and 9 rebounds, she is a good candidate. But, I don't know if we get enough of a presence inside to survive without Madi. It was a sensational start with 15 points, 15 rebounds, four assists, 3 blocks, and a steal. I'll forgive the seven turnovers, for now.

Then, there was this other freshman, the one who is too slow to play at the D1 level. May be a step slow. But, 8 for 14 shooting from the three point line for 24 points makes you look a lot quicker. She is fast enough getting that shot off. It was interesting that when they put someone dogging her, Mandy went out to screen the chaser away from Taylor just long enough to be able to get a shot off. She also had six boards. Oh. By the way, 8 three point shots made is a freshman record at OU.

Tatum had a really good night. She got tired and sloppy at the end. But, she ended up with 11 points, 4 boards, and three assists to go with 5 steals and only 3 turnovers. She played 36 minutes because we needed her for 40. With Penzo and Murcer out with injuries (back next game), she had to handle the ball all night.

Ana, what happened. Worst game at OU. Only one point off of 0-6 from the field, and 1-4 from the line. Had 7 turnovers. Did get three steals. But, she was a disaster tonight. Sherri pulled her after a couple of misplays late in the game that enabled WKy to get back into the game.

Some good young stars on this team. They just aren't a team yet. But, Shaina, Madi, and Tatum brought the wow factor to this one.

Free throw shooting, and Turn overs are a issue for now, but I’m confident the free throw shooting will get better as the season gos on, not sure about turnovers because OU has always turned the ball over a lot while I’ve beeb following them.

As everyone has said lots of really good plays and lots of really bad plays. Youthful, sloppy turnovers, bad free throw shooting, early season jitters, rushed missed layups and Ana having a worse game than any last season. But Pellington showed a huge amount of growth...she made 3 Three pointers and was the dominant offensive player for us. Taylor is going smash all our 3 point shot records, when she shoots with rhythm it is money. Madi is a superior athlete and Tatum was solid at point. Murcer didn’t play...did she have a minor injury?
Lots to work on but this team has a higher ceiling than our teams of the last few years.

I missed the first two games So tonight was my first time to see them live. All in all, I came away quite encouraged and think this could be a top 10 team in two years. My first impression was that they aren’t as small as some make them out to be. Thin in the post? Yes. But there is decent size to build on. Here are some thoughts:

Shaina- she is definitely an improved player but has to learn to pass. There were way too many times she got stuck in 1 on 3 in the lane when open shooters were nearby. She has some Westbrook in her so you have to take the bad with all the good she brings. Someone said she has a chance to be the best pg to play here. She is not on Dionnah or D-Robs level. Still impactful so I don’t want to take anything away from her. She is just not them.

Madi- the closest player we have had to that Amanda Thompson/ Leah Rush type 3/4 in ten years. She’s the kind of player that top ten teams have. Really impressive.

Ana- had an off night. She is so crafty and athletic. She should be fine.

Taylor- I am so impressed by her. Her stroke is fantastic. But I loved her passing and court savvy just as much. You can tell she really understands the game.

Tatum- agree with Syb. Nice player who got a little gassed. Again, savvy and intelligent. She’s a really nice player who has kind of awkward hand positioning but it allows her to throw some passes others can’t. At one point she got into Shaina a little and you could tell she will be a leader. Talks a lot.

All in all, this is currently a middle of the road Big 12 team but there is a lot to be encouraged by. This team will lose games on the defensive end and on the boards but I think the cupboard is beginning to be restocked and good times are ahead.

Watching this game I think, already, we are a more aggressive, faster athletic team than last year. Hopefully that will pay dividends towards the end of the season when the shooting is better. I just hope SC goes for a good mobile post

I do hope the game replays becuase i for one wouldlike to watch it. Madi played much better and harder that is key. But her turnovers were just throwing balls out of bounds. Tatum has one turnover until late in game and both times she was trying to get ball to a guard who was just running off. One was actually going for ball going out of bounds. I’m take those hustle plays any day But yes two late turnovers that should not of happened. As much as i loved the up tempo when teams are pressing the other guards left tatum to break press on own. Several times she had to.

Robertson continues to impress. Lots of questions about who will she Guard in better games when you go to zone it takes away a chances for steals i believe Veitenheimer led with 5.

Shaina was great but our 3 point shooting was my rule a little much. Taylor was 8-14 Veitenheimer 3-4 Madi 0-2 and Shaina 3-9. I guess especially with other capable shooters Shaina needs to see my 3 isn’t going i have other weapons Madi did a good job at that.

Veitenheimer will have more assist as our kids learn to finish. She finished with 4 but sid gave her 3. They have her credit for 3 on inbounds to robertson and gave taylor the assist. Corrected points for taylor but didn’t correct assist.

Ana seemed to be limping at end of game.

And yes i saw after Shaina and other player get into it tatum has some words for Shaina and her reaction -no technical just a double foul but way to early in a game you need to play 35 min for that. Coale pulled her out to calm her.

EJ Mandy and Lampkin what can we expect. Will we need to go even smaller who is gonna rebound. Tatum with 9 in exh and Madi with 15 in first game.

At this point most of the turn overs were because they were playing faster than their ability.

I was definitely a little disappointed with what Lampkin has shown over the past two games... She looked so good and her highlights it made me wonder why she wasn't rated higher and maybe I have an answer now, hopefully she becomes more confident and produces. EJ and Simpson are essentially the same as they were last year, thus far anyway. Which bodes problems when we play the likes of Texas and Baylor with all their big Talent

If Shaina will learn to penetrate and dish, Taylor will get 40 points some night.
Jesse would have shined in this game.

Back