Western Kentucky

You still think we have the right woman running the program right now?

I do NOT think you will get better in Norman. In women's basketball, there was nothing before Sherri, and we may have nothing after Sherri. Don't take it for granted that you can get a young firebrand in here that can recruit the top five players and take us to the Finals.

Sherri has a better reputation in women's sports than OU does. Forget about softball and gymnastics. Different recruits, different number of teams. Not all teams do these. Equestrian beats out gymnastics in Kansas State and TCU.

Sherri has shown that she can build. She did it, and she did it in a place that offered very little support for women's sports. It is more likely that she can rebuild it than you can bring in another coach who will.

Have you noticed anyone replacing Ceal Berry, Marsha Sharp, and Judy Conradt?

31 turnovers.... Sherri's teams love to force those passes over the past decade. Sad that everyone in the arena except for the player with the ball realizes that when a player is guarded well certain passes or attempts wont end well...

I do NOT think you will get better in Norman. In women's basketball, there was nothing before Sherri, and we may have nothing after Sherri. Don't take it for granted that you can get a young firebrand in here that can recruit the top five players and take us to the Finals.

Sherri has a better reputation in women's sports than OU does. Forget about softball and gymnastics. Different recruits, different number of teams. Not all teams do these. Equestrian beats out gymnastics in Kansas State and TCU.

Sherri has shown that she can build. She did it, and she did it in a place that offered very little support for women's sports. It is more likely that she can rebuild it than you can bring in another coach who will.

Why does it need the rebuild? Who was in charge when things went south?
I'll take my chances on another coach

🤦*♂️🤬💩

We aren’t worth a crap. Anna is trapped here. So is Robertson. Gregory and the freshmen should GTF out into the transfer portal PDQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No inside game.....when the guards can't hit, they lose!!!

And I think there can be a new hire and return this program back to respectability.....OSU was just about to overtake OU when Budke died in the plane crash. I think they will sweep OU this year. We are near the cellar in the conference now. Only one way to go.........

TCU and Tech are other teams we will probably have a hard time beating as well...

If SC were doing her job to begin with she wouldn't need to rebuild anything. Heck, I'd be content with her mediocre 21 win seasons that she had going several years in a row at this point. It just goes to show when you recruit lower-level talent and slack off after players transfer out and don't replace them then crap is going to go south fast. It seems really simple, I don't know what SC was doing for those 2 years or so, but she wasn't coaching. It doesn't even look like these girls have practiced since last season ended! The fact that they've not improved one iota tells me the coaches aren't doing a good enough job, or that these girls don't have the talent to improve. You pick which one it is. I can list a handful of girls on our roster that get playing time that would not see one minute off the bench at several programs, yet SC seems to think they will get the job done. These girls look so lost on the court! I know I love OU and am a former student athlete there myself and am quite embarrassed at the current state of this specific program especially.

The longer Coale stays, the longer it will take a new coach to even get us back to respectability.

I would say that I disagree with almost every word written here. I see varied thoughts, but not an understanding of the history of the program, the sport, or the place of OU or the program in the sports world.

I think OU did miss on some recruiting years. They seem to coincide with the years that Jan Ross was fighting cancer more than anything else. It may have also involved Coltan's HS or college years. It also seemed to coincide with an attempt to get more Oklahoma girls on the team.

I see a great difference in the skill levels this year as compared to last year. Unfortunately, I also see the lack of a DRob type point. I thought it would be Tatum. It seemed to be Murcer late last year. This year, Tatum is off and on, and I don't know what happened to Murcer. I see talent in Lemon, but I also see that she has no clue on defense and is inclined to make the "great play" type pass, a JC defect? We need for Tatum or Lemon to emerge and quit making turnovers.

I am a bit disappointed in the inconsistency of Ana and Madi. They have added skills. But, they have not added thought and discipline. Gabby can. But, she plays like a freshman. What will Liz do, and when will she emerge?

Lampkin is ahead of where I thought she would be and needs to stay foul-free, putting Mandy on the bench. Aspen may help.

College basketball is all over the place this year. Texas is 4-4. K-State is 3-3. Most of the Big Twelve hasn't played anyone stronger than Prairie View A&M yet. It seems absurd. But, I could see OU as high as #2 in the Big Twelve if they can hold turnover under twenty. I see the Big Twelve as that weak this year.

Look at all of the power house teams this year. Most are having down years. I think Abilene Christian could compete in the Big Twelve this year.

Talk to me in April.

And, no. You aren't going to get a great savior. Texas had Goestenkors. Who did Tech hire away from Purdue? Great programs are not built or rebuilt easily. It usually involves a huge commitment from the school. South Carolina was a nobody until they decided to become a power. Oregon, Oregon State, Kentucky, and Baylor were nobody until they made a huge commitment. Sometimes, it involves things that the school doesn''t want to do.

At one time, the powers were USC, Tennessee, and several schools that aren't even in the game any more. Tennessee hasn't really been able to rebuild yet, and it has recruited well. Remember Rutgers? Have you checked their record in the past ten years? I don't think OU has that type of commitment to women's sports. We do it in two sports, but both are sports of a different type. We really haven't built an overall program. We got lucky with Gasso, and we hired a coach from Iowa State who would be good anywhere. We were a better option for her that Iowa State.

And, no, OSU wasn't taking over from us at any time. At best, they might become a steady first division team---at most. They aren't a final four threat and won't be.

Gasso and Kindler must be geniouses since OU doesn't seem to support womens sports.

I think several things have happened. The game has changed. Better athletes and better opposition coaches. Used to be just Geno and Pat and Vandever and one or two others. Now you have dynamic programs at Oregon, Oregon State, Louisville, Baylor, Mississippi State, South Carolina and others.

The neat passes of old are turnovers today. We need size and have not recruited a solid inside player for several years. ViVi being the last. Mulkey would probably not help that much had we retained her.

We are being destroyed inside and we recruit only a 5-3 point guard this year. Meanwhile Oregon State picks off a quality 6-4 and a quality 6-5 inside player, both from our recruiting area. South Carolina has a 6-4 center who is dominating as a freshman. Stanford has a 5* big as a freshman.

Sherri is a smart lady. She must see how far we have dropped off. Our players like Ny Stevenson used to improve. Ana and Maddi have turned into turnover machines. No excuse for players with their experience. She has blamed the problem on poor leadership for years.

I don't think Joe C will ever fire Sherri. She is after all a hall of fame coach and has some great years behind her. I can see his problem but probably the only way out is to promote her out of the job. I think she is very frustrated but doesn't seem to find a way to improve. She looked very tense and upset on the bench tonight.

Recruiting can be the answer if we can just do it. We need to get a DRob and an athletic 6-4 girl who plays tough under the basket. Barry Switzer always said. 'It's not the X's and the O's, it's the Jimmys and the Joes". I remain hopeful for these Sooners - that the light will come on one by one.

Wake Up, the game has passed Sherri Coale and she will never get it back. Kim Mulkey said as much years ago. Women's basketball is not the game that it was when Sherri took over at OU nor is it the game from 2010. OU is simply fundamentally not sound and that is on Sherri. You do not have 20+ turnovers nearly every game if you are fundamentally sound.

In women's basketball, there was nothing before Sherri, and we may have nothing after Sherri. This is such a myth. OU dropped the program for a couple of weeks in 1990. In 1993-1994 Burl Plunkett led the team to a 18-14 record winning the WNIT. The next year 1994-1995, the Sooners went 22-9, 11-3 in Big 8 play, and the NCAA second round. Sherri did not arrive until the 1996-97 season. My hat is off the Sherri Coale and her first 15 years at OU but she is mediocre now at best. As for this year, you better get ready for another 20 loss season. Sometimes, it is simply time to pass the torch.

Have you noticed anyone replacing Ceal Berry, Marsha Sharp, and Judy Conradt? I would argue that all three of these coaches knew when it was time to hang them up or that the game was changing. Ceal Barry was 50 and has been an Associate Director at Colorado, Marsha Sharp was 54 or Sherri's age, and Jody Conradt was 65 when she stepped down.

Softball vs. Women's Basketball
297 D1 schools vs. 351 D1 schools
12 scholarships vs. 15 scholarships
There is not really that big of a difference between the two sports. There is a huge difference between Sherri and Patty. Patty is in the Top 10 of all D-1 softball coaches in the history of the sport and routinely has Top 3 recruiting classes. The longer Patty has coached, the better she has gotten. We used to see Sherri show up at the softball field during the NCAA playoffs. I haven't seen her in years now.

Women's Gymnastics vs. Women's Basketball
You have a point, however, K. J. is the best coach in the business. She has also assembled the best coaching staff in the business. That victory train is not going to stop anytime soon.

Women's Volleyball vs. Women's Basketball
335 D1 Schools vs. 351 D1 Schools
Right now, I would not put Sherri in third place on OU's list of Women's Sports coaches. Lindsey Gray-Walton is the real deal. She inherited a 6-22 team then went 17-11 and tied for 3rd in the Big 12 in her first year. This year, she is 19-8 and 3rd in the Big 12 behind #1 NCAA Seed Baylor (OU took them to 5 sets and lost 15-12 in 5th in Norman) and #2 NCAA Seed Texas (OU took them to 4 sets in Norman). They are playing Rice in the NCAA 1st round tomorrow at 4:40 streaming on ESPN+. They had 2442 at the Texas game in Norman.

Last edited:
Wake Up, the game has passed Sherri Coale and she will never get it back. Kim Mulkey said as much years ago. Women's basketball is not the game that it was when Sherri took over at OU nor is it the game from 2010. OU is simply fundamentally not sound and that is on Sherri. You do not have 20+ turnovers nearly every game if you are fundamentally sound.

In women's basketball, there was nothing before Sherri, and we may have nothing after Sherri. This is such a myth. OU dropped the program for a couple of weeks in 1990. In 1993-1994 Burl Plunkett led the team to a 18-14 record winning the WNIT. The next year 1994-1995, the Sooners went 22-9, 11-3 in Big 8 play, and the NCAA second round. Sherri did not arrive until the 1996-97 season. My hat is off the Sherri Coale and her first 15 years at OU but she is mediocre now at best. As for this year, you better get ready for another 20 loss season. Sometimes, it is simply time to pass the torch.

Have you noticed anyone replacing Ceal Berry, Marsha Sharp, and Judy Conradt? I would argue that all three of these coaches knew when it was time to hang them up or that the game was changing. Ceal Barry was 50 and has been an Associate Director at Colorado, Marsha Sharp was 54 or Sherri's age, and Jody Conradt was 65 when she stepped down.

Softball vs. Women's Basketball
297 D1 schools vs. 351 D1 schools
There is not really that big of a difference between the two sports. There is a huge difference between Sherri and Patty. Patty is in the Top 10 of all D-1 softball coaches in the history of the sport and routinely has Top 3 recruiting classes. The longer Patty has coached, the better she has gotten. We used to see Sherri show up at the softball field during the NCAA playoffs. I haven't seen her in years now.

Women's Gymnastics vs. Women's Basketball
You have a point, however, K. J. is the best coach in the business. She has also assembled the best coaching staff in the business. That victory train is not going to stop anytime soon.

Women's Volleyball vs. Women's Basketball
335 D1 Schools vs. 351 D1 Schools
Right now, I would not put Sherri in third place on OU's list of Women's Sports coaches. Lindsey Gray-Walton is the real deal. She inherited a 6-22 team then went 17-11 and tied for 3rd in the Big 12 in her first year. This year, she is 19-8 and 3rd in the Big 12 behind #1 NCAA Seed Baylor (OU took them to 5 sets and lost 15-12 in 5th in Norman) and #2 NCAA Seed Texas (OU took them to 4 sets in Norman). They are playing Rice in the NCAA 1st round tomorrow at 4:40 streaming on ESPN+. They had 2442 at the Texas game in Norman.

Bingo!! A synopsis of the Sherri Coale WBB program:

OU (Coale) vs Baylor (Mulkey)-----------Coale CC/TCC--Mulkey CC/TCC
2000-2009 OU 17 win vs Baylor 7 wins---------6/4----------------1/2
2010-2018 OU 1 win vs Baylor 18 wins---------0/0----------------9/8
ast OU win February 25, 2015 68-64. OU starters Carter, Campbell, Ortiz, Little and Williams Kayla. Subs Pierre-Louis, Kornet, Treese and Williams LaNesia.

Enough said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Mulkey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Mulkey

I haven''t seen a convincing argument yet.

IF someone can learn to play point without a turnover, we can do well this year. One transfer, or some development from Aspen or Nydia, with the emergence of Liz, and this could be a pretty good team.

You had better hope so.

I am shocked reading this! I’ve read on this board so many times that the OU women’s program was dead and Sherri brought it back to life single-handedly. You’re telling me that OU made the tournament just a couple years before Sherri got there?!? That is not what I’ve been reading on this board.

I am shocked reading this! I’ve read on this board so many times that the OU women’s program was dead and Sherri brought it back to life single-handedly. You’re telling me that OU made the tournament just a couple years before Sherri got there?!? That is not what I’ve been reading on this board.

It is what happens when you pay attention to Syb's diatribe against anyone who has critically assesses
d Sherri's performance over the last two decades. Smoke and mirrors is his forte.

I haven''t seen a convincing argument yet.

IF someone can learn to play point without a turnover, we can do well this year. One transfer, or some development from Aspen or Nydia, with the emergence of Liz, and this could be a pretty good team.

You had better hope so.

Delusional.
A PG won't fix our sloppiness and lack of discipline. We don't value the ball! Madi travels CONSTANTLY, Ana rushes all the time, Taylor is slow and bad on defense. Tatum had no offense. These things are a reflection of the horrible coaching we have. I don't even want to start on Simpson! She's still going to be here and SCs pet, regardless of Tot. I truly believe that the game has passed SC by and she's hoping for another 5'11" forward like Waley, which just work with today's game. SC is stuck in the past and we need someone looking towards the future.

At this point I have to say the longer SC stays the harder it will be on the next coach.

Back