UConn

So. Everyone is upset that recruiting has improved, and the idea is to blame Colton?

I guarantee you Colton had next to nothing to do with these recent recruits... He has no credibility whatsoever. What has he done so far? These players that actually choose to come to Norman are choosing to do so because of Sherri, not Colton!

So. Everyone is upset that recruiting has improved, and the idea is to blame Colton?

With Sherri, Pam, Chad and Colton on the staff I am not going to give the accolades to Colton for the recruiting class. He only been allowed on the recruitng trail since September 2018 and the class was signed in November.

Philosophically I never support nepotism ever. And because of age and Jan Ross' health Colton can probably be much more active on the recruiting trail. But at least on paper Sherri could have easiy signed 25-50 highly proven assistants with established recruiting credential but chose her son instead.

That was not a decision made in the best interest of the team but the Coale family unless Sherri as a micromanager knew she was so difficult to work for that Colton might be the only one who could sustain working for her.

After all her entire staff since being at OU is comprised of mostly old cronies like Stacy Hansmeyer who played for her at Norman High, Jan Ross her teammate at OCC and Chad Thrailkill her assistant at Norman High. Pam DeCosta and Bo Overton did have experience elsewhere before coming to OU. That is a turnover of 3 assistants in 23 years with two not leaving for a better opportunity. Stacy Hansmeyer left the game and Jan stayed on but is not coaching. Strange.

A HOF coach should be producing a coaching tree of some size and Sherri has 1 in 23 years.

Last edited:
holy smokes the camera man for this SMU game is horrible every time they score there is a delayed replay that is so delayed you do not get to see OU's next offense of possession afterwards!!

The difference in the first 3 and a half quarters and the last five minutes was Shaina tried to do too much. What if she tried to defend too much maybe that is where her energy needs to be. Veitenheimer was poised and controlled offense and defended well nothing flashy just solid. We just seemed to flow better when the ball is in her hands. But no matter when the pressure is on Shaina has a hard time handling it. Madi Tatum and Taylor played well freshman or not and proved they can play at any level. We need more kids like this not just kids who can play vs certain teams. Everyone will have off nights but there is still so much good players can give when the one thing they do best isn’t working. I am gonna be patient with this team. I believe had Ana not been hurt she takes some of Taylor’s minutes and it helps us defensively. People complain about not enough screens for robertson but it also requires foot speed and change of direction for kid being screened. Taylor will go down as one of the best shooters. But there is a reason she was not nationally recruited. No one who ever saw her play didn’t believe she could shoot. And she was on the circuit nationally- i think they just didn’t know how she could play defense. Sherri tried to zone a lot early in season but that just allowed teams to set three point records. Taylor can get her shots in whether she plays 20 min or 30 min but Ana will help add another player that is not so one dimensional. I think we win 4 more games had Ana been on roster. And I would like to see EJ play more.

Our ladies played a great game. If we'd had a better 5 (and I'm not faulting Simpson. She did all she could and played valiantly) we would have beaten them.

Hope exists for the future. Build on this, ladies!

There is some good in the postings, but A LOT of talk about how overpaid SC is for what lackluster teams she's produced over the past decade. I tend to agree when they say our AD could bring in a better Coach for less.

In some cases, their "negative" posts are citing posters on this board, sometimes with disagreement. I don't know that a UConn fan would care what we pay Sherri.

In general, what we have heard in the past week is a coach and some fans from UConn that have been very complimentary of the team and of Sherri. Then, we heard from an SMU coach who was also very complimentary about the team.

The SMU team that we pretty much destroyed lost by two at TCU. They had a reason to be appreciative of the fact that we could beat them on their home court. The UConn team that beat us went out and had to fight to hold off Cal who made a charge at the end in Berkeley. Cal was rated about #6 in the rpi and about #14 in the polls. We will learn a lot more about UConn when they go to Baylor. Baylor is 8-1, having lost at Palo Alto. Cal had been undefeated.

I thought it was interesting that they thought Madi was as good as Christyne, but Madi had wanted to go where she could beat UConn. Almost did it.

UConn game long over..it was a loss...SMU game long over it was a win. Be unhappy for the loss and happy for the win. Now far as pay for Sherri, I do care. With OU in the hole so much why on earth would they still pay her that insane amount? Cut her pay now, if she doesn't like then do what the rest of us do..either move or take it.

Is Sherri's pay coming out of your pocket? Is this just another meaningless item to distract from the fact that OU is a team that represents the school? The issue is whether this team can achieve more than past teams. What is its ceiling this year, next year?

You aren't going to change the coach or the salary. Non-issue.

I am not happy with the job Sherri has done for the last 7 years. But what I think amounts to nothing. Sherri has shown an improvement getting better quality basketball players to Norman that are also more athletic for the last 3 years.

This program did not get in the condition it is in overnight nor is it going to get back to the position is was 10-12 years ago next week. Sherri's performance on the court for the last 23 years has earned her the opportunity to fix what ails the program now.

However if we continue to perform at the standard we have in recent years for the next 3 and not contend for the conference championship, start failing to make the NCAA tournament and have success in the tournament than a coaching change may well be warranted. Otherwise the administration is saying we are content with a winning record but are not concerned about winning championships. That would be sad.

Last edited:
Sherri was a bright star when she came out of nowhere, turned the program around and took her team to the national championship game. And she continued to do well for a number of years.

The recent history has not been so bright. Why? Maybe because there are more good athletes and good coaches out there. Maybe because that she has relied on a 4 guard offense with very few screens. Usually undersized 4's who are really guards. While we have had great outside shooters they consistently get very few shots that are not well behind the arc or off balance and/or under pressure.

Maybe because she has not gone after key transfers as other top programs have. South Carolina won a national championship two year ago by transfering in two good guards from Georgia Tech and North Carolina to complement Wilson. Last year Notre Dame won after securing transfer Jessica Shepard from Nebraska. UConn also brought in a key transfer last year. Oregon and Mississippi State have added key transfers this season.

Maybe because Baylor and Texas have consistently outrecruited us for the past 5 years or more. And now Oklahoma State who we used to own have closed up. They brought in key transfers Fowler last year and Gray this year.

Now we are fighting Oklahoma State, losing two games to them last year and finishing in a tie for third with them.

I do think she has started going after more athletic players. We still neet to do more to get our players better shots. That will reduce turnovers and allow players like Robertson to really shine, not that she isn't already. But even before the knee injuries Whitney Hand had a hard time getting enough good shots.

I have said the maybe the game has passed he by a little bit. But she is a bright, creative person and there are signs she is adjusting some, particularly with the last few recruiting classes.

I'm not into worrying about other people's salaries. I have found that the same people who worry about the able head of a big corporation who creates a lot of jobs, earning a mulit-million dollar salary have no concern about their favorite athlete, talking head, movie star or rock star earning 30,40 even more that 100 million a year.

Me and just talking for me. Not "worried" about SC salary, I'm sure she is making it okay. But when the university is really hurting $$ wise, I think every penny that could be saved should be.

Me and just talking for me. Not "worried" about SC salary, I'm sure she is making it okay. But when the university is really hurting $$ wise, I think every penny that could be saved should be.

I totally agree that SC is highly overpaid but her salary comes out of athletic department funds, not university funds.

Back