What are these agendas Capel is talking about?

thebigabd

Reaction score
We have too many agendas on our team,” OU head coach Jeff Capel said in a postgame artice in the Tulsa World. “Until everyone can submit to the team, it’s going to be tough for us going forward.”

“It’s a lot of problems with this team. It’s a lot of different things. That’s on me and our coaching staff. We have to figure out a way to do a better job in lot of areas on our program.”
------------------------------------------------

What are these agendas?

Just another way of saying selfish...individual play not team play.

I think he is saying guys want personal statistics more than team accomplishments. They have an individual agenda to put up big numbers and make the NBA rather than win.

Pure speculation on my part but that is what I think he means.

I think you guys are probably right about what Capel meant. I believe this team has several players who basically put their own goals and needs ahead of the team. And I also agree that Capel should demand a "team first" attitude from his players. I think that's exactly what he's been trying to do, but I'm just not sure he will ever be able to get everyone on this team to get onboard.

I hope I'm wrong.

I think he is saying guys want personal statistics more than team accomplishments. They have an individual agenda to put up big numbers and make the NBA rather than win.

Pure speculation on my part but that is what I think he means.

I think its pretty obvious that this is what it means

Here's one possible agenda: Drew was very effective in the post early in the game, but got zero passes from the guards in the second half...

I think you guys are probably right about what Capel meant. I believe this team has several players who basically put their own goals and needs ahead of the team. And I also agree that Capel should demand a "team first" attitude from his players. I think that's exactly what he's been trying to do, but I'm just not sure he will ever be able to get everyone on this team to get onboard.
I hope I'm wrong.

Trying to do!? He is the head coach, if they dont want to agree with him sit them on the bench

Trying to do!? He is the head coach, if they dont want to agree with him sit them on the bench

I think we've already seen that on more than one occasion. He's benched numerous players; perhaps his mistake was giving them a second chance.

I wouldn't be shocked if he kicks guys off left and right this offseason. He seems real pissed off.

I wouldn't be shocked if he kicks guys off left and right this offseason. He seems real pissed off.

Who is he going to kick off the team? Will kicking Ray Willis, Kyle Hardrick or Orlondo Allen change the attitudes of the guys that play? I suppose it frees up some scholarships but I don't see how it helps the situation.

Getting younger is not the solution. OU needs experience. That is what is killing this team.

I don't think Allen's attitude is the problem he seems to be one of the guys rooting for the team. I'm not 100% sure who the guys are. Willis is one of them. But it could be Tiny he could just tell Warren he's better off going pro, could be other guys we don't really know about. I just think he's frustrated with this group of guys and doesn't want to deal with such an uncoachable group again.

biggest issue is players borrowing clothes from each other and not giving them back

If he had benched some of these players more, the fans would have been yelling things like "Why are we losing games with our stars on the bench?" You just can't fully explain what you are doing to the fans without sounding like a whiner basher of the players. So when a team does not gel, the coach has to take the criticism. The primary goal of a coach, during the season, is to win games and not lose them.

Sometimes you have to press forward and hope the light goes on for some players. That just hasn't happened this year. Who would have thought that the guy picked the most likely to be Player of the Year by several sports guys would have the kind of season he has had. Willie has not been nearly as good this year as last. Is that Capel's fault? Willie obviously did better with some strong big men on the team.

If he had benched some of these players more, the fans would have been yelling things like "Why are we losing games with our stars on the bench?" You just can't fully explain what you are doing to the fans without sounding like a whiner basher of the players. So when a team does not gel, the coach has to take the criticism. The primary goal of a coach, during the season, is to win games and not lose them.

Sometimes you have to press forward and hope the light goes on for some players. That just hasn't happened this year. Who would have thought that the guy picked the most likely to be Player of the Year by several sports guys would have the kind of season he has had. Willie has not been nearly as good this year as last. Is that Capel's fault? Willie obviously did better with some strong big men on the team.

He shouldnt be worried about what the fas are saying...I mean someone is going to be upset no matter what happens....if he benches the stars and we are loosing obviously I wouldnt be happy...but it is MUCH better than the situation we are currently sitting in, and the guys would go into the offseason knowing they had to change their attitude or transfer

Nick, while I agree that drastic measures may be called for, Coach Capel's options will be limited next season. That's especially true at the post positions.

That could change if he brings in a couple of impact JUCO players, or works a miracle and signs Jones and/or Ross in April. At the moment, though, we have Clark and Taylor coming in next year. I personally believe that both of those kids will make an almost immediate contribution at some level, because they reportedly take a lot of pride in their defense.

But the pickings are slim in our front court. Assuming Tiny will be back, that leaves Fitzgerald, a player who has shown he has some potential, and two posts players in Kyle and Orlando who haven't proven much of anything yet.

It's easy to talk about how we would clean house if we were in Capel's shoes. The challenge is to find replacements that will at least give OU an equal chance of competing, without compromising what you believe is the right thing to do.

Back