***Where are they Now? Ernie Abercrombie***

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
When Oklahoma basketball fans look back at the career of Ernie Abercrombie, they don’t remember him for his stats. They remember him for his heart.

Abercrombie epitomized Kelvin Sampson’s “Heart, Hustle, Hardwood” slogan to a tee. The Houston, Texas native stood just 6-feet, 4-inches tall, but he used his 240-pound frame to his advantage while playing the power forward spot and often times going up against opponents three to five inches taller.

“Ernie’s heart is the size of his butt,” Sampson once said.

But when you look back at the stats, Abercrombie’s were pretty good. He started in 46 of the 60 games he played as a Sooner, and averaged 12 points and 8.2 rebounds over his two-year career from 1994-1996.

Along with being known for his heart, Abercrombie was also known for his big 3-point shot that helped Oklahoma knock-off No. 1 Kansas in Norman on Feb. 20, 1995. It’s hard to believe it’s been just over 14 years since that day, and 13 years since he’s worn an Oklahoma uniform, so OUHoops.com recently talked with the former Sooner about his clutch 3-pointer, playing for Kelvin Sampson and life after basketball...

Abercrombie Interview

Last edited:
Outstanding job, BigTime! Abercrombie hitting that shot from the baseline is one of those unforgettable Sooner moments. Fewer moments got a bigger roar in LNC than that! It was fun reliving those moments and hearing the inside scoop on those guys. Really appreciate this feature! I'm hoping there will be many more!

Here is an article from Soonersports.com that recaps the game:

Source Link

Men's Basketball: Back in Time #3

No. 1 Kansas at No. 25 OU in 1995

June 26, 2007

NORMAN, Okla. - Each Monday in June, July and August, SoonerSports.com will take you back in time with the OU men's basketball program as we highlight some of the biggest games and biggest names from the 1970s, '80s, '90s and 2000s.

The third installment features the No. 1 Kansas Jayhawks at the No. 25 Sooners late in the 1994-95 season, Kelvin Sampson's first campaign in Norman.

Did Kansas, which was rewarded with the top spot in the polls earlier in the day, prove worthy of its ranking? Or were Ryan Minor and OU able to notch the Sooners' 20th win of the season?

Feb. 20, 1995 No. 1 Kansas at No. 25 Oklahoma
Box Score

The tasks kept growing taller and taller for Kelvin Sampson as his first season as Oklahoma men's basketball coach unfolded in 1994-95. Fortunately for him, the team that was picked to finish sixth in the Big Eight Conference kept responding.

Already the surprise owner of a 19-6 record, a 13-0 home mark and a No. 25 national ranking, the Sooners now faced the tough assignment of hosting the No. 1 team in the country. Two days after knocking off ninth-ranked Missouri, OU welcomed 20-3 Kansas to Lloyd Noble Center for a Monday night bout on ESPN.

Trailing 14-13 early, Oklahoma got six points from Dion Barnes during an 11-0 run to take a 24-14 lead. The Sooners, behind Ryan Minor's 17 first-half points, extended their margin to 13 on three different occasions before going to halftime ahead by 10, 45-35.

1995 OU vs. Kansas Highlights
Back In Time #1, #2

After a Minor 3-pointer to start the second stanza put the Sooners up by 13 again, the frenzied sellout crowd of 11,385 was quickly quieted. A 16-3 Jayhawks run promptly tied the score at 51-51 and showed everyone in attendance why KU was the nation's top-ranked team.

OU fell behind by as many as six (63-57) as Kansas' Raef LaFrentz, Jerod Haase, Scot Pollard, Jacque Vaughn and crew heated up. Sampson's team battled back to trail by just two, 73-71, as John Ontjes hit a jumper in the lane with 1:10 left to set the stage for the game's unlikely hero.

With 45 seconds remaining and OU down a pair, junior college transfer Ernie Abercrombie received a pass from Ontjes and launched a 3-pointer from the baseline in front of the Sooners' bench. The fact it was his first 3-point attempt in 12 games didn't faze the forward as he never hesitated in letting it go. The biggest shot of Abercrombie's career found the bottom of the net.

As Kansas tried to answer, a Minor steal gave the ball back to OU. A Jayhawks foul on the ensuing possession put the would-be Big Eight Player of the Year at the line for a one-and-one opportunity. With 12 seconds remaining, Minor went make, make, and gave Oklahoma a 76-73 lead.

Kansas' last-ditch effort -- a 3-point attempt by Haase -- caromed off the rim. Ontjes secured the rebound and dodged Jayhawks while dribbling out the clock, giving the Sooners the 3-point upset victory. Sooners and Jayhawks then had to dodge the fans swarming the floor.

Just five hours after it was anointed the No. 1 team in the country, Kansas had its crown removed in Norman.

"It's the greatest feeling in the world," said Minor, who played the entire game and finished with 28 points and four rebounds. "Kansas is a very fundamentally sound team and they play great defense. It took a great effort from our guys tonight to pull this out."

Abercrombie, whose late 3-pointer was just his fourth make of the year from beyond the arc, said, "I was open, we were down by two, and I hit it. That couldn't have been me out there."

It was indeed Abercombie out there, as Sampson's first OU recruit finished with a double-double of 11 points and 10 boards. Ontjes also recorded a double-double with 12 points and 11 assists. Barnes was 3-of-4 from 3-point range and added 14 points.

"Kelvin has just done a tremendous job with this group of players," said Kansas head coach Roy Williams after his team's loss. "In the first half, we were outplayed in every phase of the game. I also think I was outcoached by him in every phase of the game."

Sampson summed up his team by saying, "We're not very big and we're not particularly fast, but we have a big heart and that's what you can never measure."

The Sooners went on to beat visiting Oklahoma State in overtime in the next game and posted their first undefeated home season (15-0) in five years.

Notes: OU outscored Kansas 7-0 over the game's last 1:10 ... The Jayhawks were led by Scot Pollard's 16 points while Jerod Haase added 14 and Raef LaFrentz 11 ... Kansas shot just .353 from the field in the first half but came back to post a .586 figure in the second half ... The Sooners went on to finish 23-9 overall and 9-5 (third place) in the Big Eight ... OU was also a No. 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament and Kelvin Sampson was named AP National Coach of the Year.

one of two times i have rushed the floor. thanks EA. forever in our hearts with a simple flick of the wrist.

too bad some had to run off 04 because i love his rehash of that game.

I enjoyed the interview with Ernie Abercrombie and the recap of that KU game. I can't believe how long ago it was. Great work!

Cudos to OUHOOPS and Bigtime for this new feature, "Where are they now". Very nice interview. Ernie still comes across as humble as ever. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

Back