Who improves more? Texas Tech, OSU, or OU?

I have heard both the OSU coaches and Marcus head coach talk about him playing a lot of PG next year. I assume they will do this just to get him on the floor more often. That could all change if someone else steps up at PG.

Why take Forte if he is not a point?

When I watched Marcus play (the high school not Marcus Smart), Forte was playing pg.

Denver, if you saw Marcus play, then you know Smart is a primary ballhandler. He plays like Wade, he may not be the PG but he directs the floor for all.

My 2 cents is OSU is the most likely to improve the most. Nobody mentioned Cobbins who will be a nice piece next year. However I think this is based on Smart being a high minute player. I think Smart will improve Nash's play too.

I think OU is right behind them with M'Baye and the guards. As long as hornbeak and heild can earn minutes OU will be solid next year. I do agree we should find another spot up shooter who can hit 3's.

Denver, if you saw Marcus play, then you know Smart is a primary ballhandler. He plays like Wade, he may not be the PG but he directs the floor for all.

My 2 cents is OSU is the most likely to improve the most. Nobody mentioned Cobbins who will be a nice piece next year. However I think this is based on Smart being a high minute player. I think Smart will improve Nash's play too.

I think OU is right behind them with M'Baye and the guards. As long as hornbeak and heild can earn minutes OU will be solid next year. I do agree we should find another spot up shooter who can hit 3's.

Not when I saw him play. I only saw the last 6 minutes of the state championship game but Forte was the ball handler and really took over the game. When he didn't have the ball he set a great screen that allowed Smart to ge an easy bucket.

He shot .386 from 3 point range and .415 on all shots. How is that a volume shooter. Those are pretty good percentages. I would love for OU to add 38.6% shooter from 3 point range, especially a guy that takes 267 3 points shots. Page took the majority of hard shots for OSU and that lowers his percentage.

Nothing against Page but I don't think they'll miss him that much.

Would you be surprised to know that Pledger shot 45 percent from 3-point range? Or does Page's multitude of shots make is seem that he is a better shooter.

This years state championship game is not a normal game for Smart. It was like he was over emotional and didn't play his game. The semis were one of his better games. Marcus was only up 10 at half and everybody knew the game was over because he had such control over it.

Forte is a very good shooter no doubt and a solid ballhandler but he doesn't run the team like Smart.

I disagree about losing Page. I haven't looked at his percentages, but it seems like he shot at a pretty nice percentage. And he opened things up for other players. Remember how "great" Nash was suppose to be before you pimp Smart too much next season. Very few kids can come in as true frosh and be anything more than a little above average. And that still doesn't fix their problem of not having a true point, and not having much inside.

There's a near direct correlation between Page's shot attempts per game vs. wins per season.

He's a guy who's box score makes him look like a much better player than he really is IMO.

Weren't you the one pumped up all those JUCO guys that Gillespie signed last year too? That worked out real well...Tech is going to suck horribly again next year. And OSU still has Ford as head coach.

Are you telling me that if OU was bringing in:

PF: Rodrigo Silva (6'11'' 235)
-Originally from Brazil, averaged 13.2 points, 9.6 rebounds, and 4.8 blocks per game in junior college. His blocks per game average ranked second in the NJCAA. He was named to the All-Region IX Team last year. Provides much needed size to a very small Texas Tech team.

C: Dejan Kravic (6'11' 230)
-Transfer from a college in Canada. Averaged 15.6 points, 9.6 rebounds and 2.3 blocks as a sophomore at York ... ranked first in the conference in blocks and second in rebounding ... nationally in Canada, ranked second in blocks and fifth in rebounding. Has put on 20 pounds since he got to Lubbock last year.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTdpnpndK0E[/ame]

G: Daylen Robinson
-Robinson led the Greyhounds in scoring and assists last season averaging 16.5 ppg and 5 assists per contest. Daylen was a first team All-Region XVI performer during his freshman year. In 2010, he won the Direnna Award, which is given annually to the top high school basketball player in the Kansas City area. Daylen averaged 32 ppg and was a 1st team All City and 1st team All State selection.

F: Wanaah Bail (6'8'' 210)
-Combo forward. Super athletic, can shoot with range. Four star prospect out of Houston. Bail is an off the charts athlete that excels in transition. He runs the floor like a gazelle and can make plays on the break in mid air. He plays with great energy and urgency on both ends of the floor. (ESPN)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TpmB-Lp4xE[/ame]

PF: Aaron Ross (6'8'' 235)
-Originally committed to Arkansas out of high school. 4-star recruit by ESPN. Averaged 23 points and 11 rebounds per game in prep school this year. Didnt go to Arkansas because he didnt qualify out of high school.

"The 6-foot-8, 235-pound forward has a great basketball IQ and feel for the game. Ross is a bull inside who has a nice touch on the perimeter and is a glue guy who is a huge matchup problem. Ross posts up and shoots over smaller defenders or beats less-mobile defenders off the bounce."
(ESPN)

I mean, by most non-KU recruiting standards this is a very good class in the Big 12. They got two four star players (Ross and Wanaah), a couple of 6'11'' centers (Kravic and Silva) that are transferring in, and then the #1 player in KC and All Region juco guard (Robinson).

These are athletes, highly rated guys. High level players. Don't know why you guys think they brought in some scabs this go-around.

Last edited:
Nash was the Big XII Freshman of the Year and he was disappointed with himself. As he matures I could see him being a # 1 scoring option, big time player.

My understanding is that Smart and Brown will be at the 1 & 2 and both will handle the ball a lot.

Nash will be at the 3 with Cobbins and Williams at the 4/5. I could also see Brian Williams starting over Smart and playing the 2.

Bench:

Smart/Williams one of these guys will be first off the bench

Olukemi is better when he comes off the bench. He needs to be the guy he was in 2010 when he was able to get to the foul line consistently. But it will depend on how his knee reacts.

Jurick was a big loss as he was finally somewhat of a presence down low. I could see him redshirting next year as he might not be back until conference play.

Guerrero finally started to play a little smarter. Very quick, could be a timely shooter.

Soucek limited minutes and I was pleasantly surprised on offense. As he learns the game he could really provide some match up problems on offense. Defense needs a lot of work.

Phil Forte good shooter, a better defender than Page...Redshirt?

Kamari Murphy I don't know much about him. Videos that I can find is that he's a long bodied shot blocker with a good mid range game. Likes to run...Redshirt?

Darrell Williams is the million dollar question...

What happened to Jurick? I think he is an important part of OSU's team. He is not a great player but he can rebound, defend and block shots. It is nice to have a guy like that on the bench.

I think OSU has a chance to be a solid team next year. They need more production in the paint but the rest of the team looks pretty set to compete in the Big XII. OSU had a terrible start but they weren't that bad in conference play. They lost close games to ISU and KSU. If they win those they are .500 in conference play.

Someone has to step up and take the tough shots that Page took but that is just part of college basketball. Teams are always losing top scorers.

Since this thread is likely going to attract quite a few oSu posters, what would you say that Ford's "system" is? I know that is a pretty vague question, but what was just curious.

I could see them improving dramatically if this is finally his blue-print type of team, which it starts to look like with guys like Nash, Smart and Brown being your wings as is suggested above.

Since this thread is likely going to attract quite a few oSu posters, what would you say that Ford's "system" is? I know that is a pretty vague question, but what was just curious.

I could see them improving dramatically if this is finally his blue-print type of team, which it starts to look like with guys like Nash, Smart and Brown being your wings as is suggested above.

I dont think we know the "system" either.

I dont think we know the "system" either.

When he came in, I was under the impression that he would be very uptempo and run four guards out there with one big as that is what he had done at his prior job. I'm asking out of ignorance, not looking to take a jab at the guy or oSu, but "if" that is what he is trying to do, he has three pretty high-end athletes to start with, although I'm not sure who can stretch a defense out of that group consistently.

When he came in, I was under the impression that he would be very up tempo and run four guards out there with one big as that is what he had done at his prior job. I'm asking out of ignorance, not looking to take a jab at the guy or oSu, but "if" that is what he is trying to do, he has three pretty high-end athletes to start with, although I'm not sure who can stretch a defense out of that group consistently.

He has said all along that he wants to play the way Missouri played this year. OSU did a little his first year with Eaton, Harris, Obi and Anderson, but they didn't have the rebounding that year to really get the fast break started. Thanks to his own doing OSU hasn't had a great PG since Eaton. It is almost impossible to get up and down the floor successfully without good PG play.

As to the original posters question I think OU improves their win total the most, but I think OSU will still have a better conference record.

He has said all along that he wants to play the way Missouri played this year. OSU did a little his first year with Eaton, Harris, Obi and Anderson, but they didn't have the rebounding that year to really get the fast break started. Thanks to his own doing OSU hasn't had a great PG since Eaton. It is almost impossible to get up and down the floor successfully without good PG play.

As to the original posters question I think OU improves their win total the most, but I think OSU will still have a better conference record.

For all of the transfers and other issues over the previous few years, it seems like he is accumulating a very solid team for next season although I will say that I think the teams will be close overall "IF" M'Baye is what people around the program are saying what he is holds true.

I know he gets grief on this board [although I think it is from a very vocal minority of one] but OU has a guy that has proven that he can hit shots, Pledger, and I'm not sure who that guy is for oSu.

For all of the transfers and other issues over the previous few years, it seems like he is accumulating a very solid team for next season although I will say that I think the teams will be close overall "IF" M'Baye is what people around the program are saying what he is holds true.

I know he gets grief on this board [although I think it is from a very vocal minority of one] but OU has a guy that has proven that he can hit shots, Pledger, and I'm not sure who that guy is for oSu.

I agree with this, I still don't see OSU playing up tempo next year because they still don't have a really good PG. That being said there isn't a lot of teams that have wing players as good and Brown, B. Williams, Nash, JP, and Smart. I really wish OSU could package a couple of these players and trade for a really good PG.

Realistically I see OSU improving their conference record by about 3 games. I think OU will improve by about 4 games.

I agree with this, I still don't see OSU playing up tempo next year because they still don't have a really good PG. That being said there isn't a lot of teams that have wing players as good and Brown, B. Williams, Nash, JP, and Smart. I really wish OSU could package a couple of these players and trade for a really good PG.

Realistically I see OSU improving their conference record by about 3 games. I think OU will improve by about 4 games.

Does the kid from California have a chance to develop into a better point guard? One of the more interesting match-ups that could be brewing as far as "bedlam" goes is M'Baye vs. Nash...probably not Eduardo vs. Mason given that it will only be for a year, but has the potential to be interesting. I think OU is missing one thing and that is another shooter to take pressure off of Pledger. Of the few games I saw oSu play last season, Page needed the same thing.

I'm one sooner fan who thinks Ford is a good coach and will get it done in Stillwater. He inherited a program that was down, not as down as what Kruger inherited, but they were quite a bit down. He's getting some good players and if they hadn't had such a rough OOC record, they are probably in the NCAA and giving some teams a tough time.

Back