Who is Oklahoma's MVP through the first 10 games?

Who has been OU's MVP so far this season?

• Tony Crocker

Votes: 111 85.4%
  • Cade Davis

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Tiny Gallon

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Tommy Mason-Griffin

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Willie Warren

Votes: 7 5.4%

• Total voters

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it Willie Warren, who leads the team in scoring (19.6) and is second in steals and assists.

How about freshmen Tiny Gallon and Tommy Mason-Griffin? Gallon is averaging 11.9 points and 9.4 rebounds in just 24.3 minutes of action per game, while Mason-Griffin is averaging 10.3 points and five assists (2-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio).

What about junior Cade Davis, who leads the team in steals and has helped OU to a 5-1 record since he was inserted into the starting lineup.

And then there's Tony Crocker? He's switched positions and is averaging 18.5 points and 11 rebounds in OU's last four games.

For the season, he is averaging 13.5 points and 7.3 rebounds per game, which is up from his 9.6 and 3.2 average a year ago. For comparisons sake, isn't Crocker now essentially playing the position vacated by Taylor Griffin? Last year, Griffin averaged 9.6 points and 5.8 rebounds per game. Small sample size, yes. But still interesting if you look at that way.

Crocker is second on the team in scoring, second in rebounds, second in blocked shots, second in made 3-point field goals and third in steals.

So who do you think is has been OU's most valuable player through 10 games?

It is Crocker for a lot of the reasons you listed above. Also our lack of post depth has forced to him play the 4 and he is playing his role perfectly. He is rebounding and defending, while adding scoring and not turning the ball over. I think Tony is the key for this team to be successful the rest of the year. I think he is the difference in an 8 win conference season and a 10 or 11 win conference season.

They are all very valuable. But for my money, Crocker's rebounding is what has made him so valuable because we lack rebounding by our bigs.

Cade did turn the season around with his shutdown of Rotnei Clarke, but Crocker's production and leadership make him my MVP.

I voted for Tony, for the very same reasons you guys have listed.

I voted for Tony. It's not a knock on anyone else. He's a Senior and he's playing as a Senior should.

Crocker beating Willie 38-2 right now tells you a lot. The players (pre-season) didnt vote Willie for anything and now the fans arent. None of the players said that Willie was the most respected (Willie didnt even get a vote), the hardest worker, most competitive, smartest on the court, etc.

Last edited:
I voted for Crocker. He has done an amazing job playing out of position, and it was he and Cade that inspired the rest of the team to step it up on defense and play with toughness. Following their lead, I have seen a big change in TMG, Tiny, and Willie on the defense end.

Keep it up TCrock! :clap

Crocker beating Willie 38-2 right now tells you a lot. The players (pre-season) didnt vote Willie for anything and now the fans arent. None of the players said that Willie was the most respected (Willie didnt even get a vote), the hardest worker, most competitive, smartest on the court, etc.

It tell you a lot about Tony and the respect the voters have for him. Not much more you can read into it.

Tony Crocker...

That dude put this team on his shoulders with his energy and leadership, accepting the new role and flourishing in it...

It tell you a lot about Tony and the respect the voters have for him. Not much more you can read into it.

When the fans and players don't vote for the best player, it tells you something.

You think Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Dirk Nowtizki, etc would be getting beat 50-2 by the fans and get no votes on things from the players?

Yeah it tells you a lot about Tony Crocker. Why does Croc getting recognition mean anything about WW? I voted for Croc by the way and don't consider my vote as some kind of anti-Willie vote.

Yeah it tells you a lot about Tony Crocker. Why does Croc getting recognition mean anything about WW? I voted for Croc by the way and don't consider my vote as some kind of anti-Willie vote.

I don't consider it an anti-Willie vote either, but GENERALLY the best player would be considered the MVP, leader, etc and nobody (not even teammates) think that person is Willie.

You think Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Dirk Nowtizki, etc would be getting beat 50-2 by the fans and get no votes on things from the players?

Those guys are NBA MVPs that is a silly comparison.

For that matter, there will be times over a ten game stretch where Gasol is the MVP on the Laker, or Mo is the MVP for the cavs, or Jason Terry is the MVP for the Mavs. It is not insulting to LeBron or Dirk or Kobe when a teammate steps up and plays well then get recognition.

Sometimes, the MVP is the most talented player. Sometimes, it's the most mature player - the player with the most experience.

There might as well be one choice in this poll.

Yeah before I voted I thought "this one isn't even close" and then I saw the results and was glad to see everyone agrees.

Back