Who will be better, Honore or Hardrick

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
I really think these two guys will be competing for a scholarship next year. I think Capel will see who develops the best on and off the court and send the other guy packing.

I really hope Capel doesn't take that approach as I would rather not Capel follow Calapari's or what is soon to be Travis Ford's path into kicking off kids.

I understand College Basketball is a business but I'm just not a fan of it.

I really hope Capel doesn't take that approach as I would rather not Capel follow Calapari's or what is soon to be Travis Ford's path into kicking off kids.

I agree. I hope it doesn't shake out like that.

I wouldn't like to see it either, but if Honore shows dedication on and off the court and Hardrick dogs it, it would be totally fair. There's a reason Beau Gerber is getting a scholarship this year and Patillo is at WKU. And it's not because Patillo sucked. In fairness, I will give Hardrick every chance to succeed and will root for him to do so. The reports that I have gotten by people who followed him all last year have me discouraged though.

In the case of Hardrick, I don't see anything wrong with this. Hardrick was offered by Sampson. Capel honored that offer, even when it became apparent that Hardrick was not someone that Capel would probably go after. If Hardrick is not useful to the team, then he shouldn't be with the team, and he should have no hard feelings because he will have been given a shot to prove that he belongs with OU.

That's a tough question. Guys are given scholarships because it is believed at the time that they deserve it. If it turns out they do NOT deserve to be on ship, is it wrong to send him packing??? I probably would if I were the coach, unless his Dad was donating hundreds of thousands to the program. :)

That's a tough question. Guys are given scholarships because it is believed at the time that they deserve it. If it turns out they do NOT deserve to be on ship, is it wrong to send him packing??? I probably would if I were the coach, unless his Dad was donating hundreds of thousands to the program. :)

It depends. Now should OSU have sent Malcoln Kirkland packing? Yes. Horrible teammate, horrible player, horrible student. Now should they send Akol packing? A little different senario. Akol is a good teammate and good student, but will struggle on the court. Should Akol be shown the road? Now the reason why I started this post is because I heard through too many sources, negative stuff about Hardrick. Now that being said, Hardrick is a Sooner and I'll give him the benefit. However, Jeff Capel has dropped some hints in past comments about Hardick and basically gave him some backhanded compliments. Also, as I watched the conditioning drills, Honore, a guy who's about 40lbs overweight has smoked Hardrick on every drill. Hardrick got ran down by big O down the stretch. Now if Now if Honore shows he's a better player than Hardrick, is it fair that Honore doesn't get a scholly and Hardrick does?

DM, I believe you and I are very close in our thinking. Before a coach can come to the decision that "this kid is not deserving of a scholarship at our program", he must first take various factors into consideration. I agree with you that each situation is different and must be evaluated on it's own merits.

I'll go with Honore. He is big enough to play PF. Hardrick may not be. Plus I think they have similar games/skills but Honore has the size advantage.

Plus Honore has already shown that he can play D-1 ball. Hardrick may not get that chance, especially his first two years at OU.

I personally think if a kid is given a scholarship and then both tries on and off the court and stays out of trouble, the scholarship should be honored. I really don't want to see the University of Oklahoma become a school that pulls scholarships when an athlete does not turn out to be as good as expected. I think that sets a terrible example for the athletes, student body and other fans. One of our biggest problems is society today is we don't honor our word.

I personally think if a kid is given a scholarship and then both tries on and off the court and stays out of trouble, the scholarship should be honored. I really don't want to see the University of Oklahoma become a school that pulls scholarships when an athlete does not turn out to be as good as expected. I think that sets a terrible example for the athletes, student body and other fans. One of our biggest problems is society today is we don't honor our word.

This. Most of the points presented in this thread suggesting that if a kid can't cut it he should go aren't taking the recruiting process into account. You go into a kid's home and tell him how you want him to make the biggest decision of his life for you, then you tell him in a year or two that you are done with him? I know I am in the minority, but I think most of these kids are used and manipulated as it is...the idea of "trimming the fat" is repulsive.

I'll tell you right now, Capel isn't that type of coach. If a guy isn't doing his part in some benign way, then Capel is going to find every way he can to try to motivate him. And if he is malignant, then Capel will kick him off the team (I don't think that point is debatable). But Beau Gerber doesn't get a scholarship for most coaches.

While the title of the thread is "Who will be better, Honore or Hardrick", I think there has been maybe one comment about who will be better. Personally, I don't know how we have any idea who will be better, but discussing whether or not they will be "fighting for a scholarship" seems a little bit "dirty" to me...

Not only is Honore better now, he will be better in the long run as well. Kudos to Capel for honoring OU's commitment to Hardrick from a prior coaching staff, but Hardrick has a long way to go. Hope Hardrick's switch gets turned on.

If a kid cannot perform on the court then they should not retain their scholarship it's a simple as that. If a student on academic scholarship does not perform in the classroom, they do not keep their scholarship do they? What is the difference guys? Do we hold our athletes to a different standard as our students? I can see where some of you all are coming from but come on now!

Back