Why doesn't location matter to coaches or players?

thebigabd

Reaction score
Why are the basketball hot spots in Kansas, Kentucky, and North Carolina? I mean, these coaches have to live there and so do the players, but it doesn't seem to matter at all.

We've had the convo on this forum in years past about how Hawaii can't convince 2-3 of top 125 players every year to come live in paradise for free for 4-5 years... Why isn't Pepperdine, located on the ocean in Malibu, the mid-major destination of choice? Why aren't these places attracting the best coaches?

The answer to me is obvious... I would absolutely consider location when making a choice... but you see player after player picking schools in Indiana, Iowa, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, etc over offers from schools in California, Florida, Hawaii, etc.

Hawaii I almost understand... it is far away in a much different time zone and you spend a lot of time on airplanes. But, the season isn't all year long and you spend the rest of that time in a place everyone else tries to get to a few times in their lives, if ever.

Why are the basketball hot spots in Kansas, Kentucky, and North Carolina? I mean, these coaches have to live there and so do the players, but it doesn't seem to matter at all.

We've had the convo on this forum in years past about how Hawaii can't convince 2-3 of top 125 players every year to come live in paradise for free for 4-5 years... Why isn't Pepperdine, located on the ocean in Malibu, the mid-major destination of choice? Why aren't these places attracting the best coaches?

The answer to me is obvious... I would absolutely consider location when making a choice... but you see player after player picking schools in Indiana, Iowa, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, etc over offers from schools in California, Florida, Hawaii, etc.

Hawaii I almost understand... it is far away in a much different time zone and you spend a lot of time on airplanes. But, the season isn't all year long and you spend the rest of that time in a place everyone else tries to get to a few times in their lives, if ever.

what is your answer?

You answered at least part of your question in the first sentence: UNC, UK and KU. It’s more about the schools than the states they’re in. Duke is another school on that list. Even if kids choose other schools, they want to be able to tell their friends and brag about it on social media they received an offer from a “blue blood” school.

Back in day when Wooden was winning national titles nearly every season, UCLA was on that prestigious list. Knight had IU at or near the top for several years. It hasn’t been the same since he left. Scholarship offers from those schools still carry some weight, but nothing like it used to be.

I think it’s mainly the schools when factors like distance from home and/or playing time may not play a major role in a recruit’s decision. Most of the top players who pick those schools aren’t too worried about playing time.

if Coach K was coaching uc Santa Barbara and the school invested millions and millions in their hoops program to be the best then the kids would be lining up to go there too.

The coach, facilities, program history, fan support are much more important to players that are serious about their craft than being able to go surfing.

OU fans want money to go to football, rather than basketball, for the most part.

1. Trae Young stayed home rather than going to Kansas or Kentucky.
2. Kids want to be on tv and they want to win and they want to play in the tournament.

family?

be a little obvious to hire a truck driver to be a coach to get the son in Hawaii...lol

Why do students go to Yale, in the epic dump of New Haven, CT?

Back