Will TJ and Beau be on scholarship?

coacht

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but we currently have 11 guys on scholarship with 2 available would the two walk-ons get the scholarships for 1 year? Also is either on an academic scholarship? That would answer my question, but I haven't heard that about either.

I'm rather certain Beau is on academic scholarship. He had good grades coming out of high school, and was looking at the upper echelon schools that offered him full rides.

I'm rather certain Beau is on academic scholarship. He had good grades coming out of high school, and was looking at the upper echelon schools that offered him full rides.

Franklin was being recruited by Brown, so he probably has an academic scholarship as well.

Although it's unlikely to get such a transfer, it would be nice to have at least one spot open in case of a possible mid-year transfer.

Correct me if I am wrong but we currently have 11 guys on scholarship with 2 available would the two walk-ons get the scholarships for 1 year? Also is either on an academic scholarship? That would answer my question, but I haven't heard that about either.

Can a school put a walkon on academic scholarship. Obviously in these two cases, it would be legitimate or not an abuse of the rules but that seems to open the door to abuse. For example, Sam Bradford is a great student, so put him on an academic scholarship and free up a spot for someone else (obviously that would be abusive and probably against the rules).

P.S. If the scholarships are not being used, I hope Capel gives those guys the money.

It doesn't matter who you are. If you are on the team, you cannot take any scholarship except the athletic scholarship and it counts towards the limit. I know walk-ons who have had to forego partial academic scholarships to be on the football team. Otherwise, that opens the potential for all kinds of abuse. Think about why you haven't heard of a single case like that anywhere.

I would always keep a scholarship open for the potential coach change, team scandal, mass recruit exodus, etc. that could reopen the door to a major recruit. Also, you never know who might become eligible mid-year.

Add Ryan Randolph to the Walk On list. He's been practicing with the team this week and going through morning workouts.

It doesn't matter who you are. If you are on the team, you cannot take any scholarship except the athletic scholarship and it counts towards the limit. I know walk-ons who have had to forego partial academic scholarships to be on the football team. Otherwise, that opens the potential for all kinds of abuse. Think about why you haven't heard of a single case like that anywhere.

I would always keep a scholarship open for the potential coach change, team scandal, mass recruit exodus, etc. that could reopen the door to a major recruit. Also, you never know who might become eligible mid-year.

This is an over-generalization and not entirely accurate. I'm sure I'll get this a little wrong but...

Walk-ons can utilize scholarships offered to any student as long as it is not "institutional aid," meaning that the University cannot administer the scholarship without counting. So a student can be awarded a scholarship from the American Medical Association and play. Where institutional aid is concerned, it really depends on whether the students was a "recruited" walk-on. Chances are, both could be on academic scholarship. I would need some additional clarificatio nfrom someone who knows.

To add. I am fairly certain that a student that qualifies for a scholarship with set criteria, i.e. National Merit or State Regents, can still receive that scholarship and not count against the total.

To add. I am fairly certain that a student that qualifies for a scholarship with set criteria, i.e. National Merit or State Regents, can still receive that scholarship and not count against the total.

Well, that opens up a whole new can of worms, because OU offers all sorts of benefits to National Merit Scholars that other universities don't offer. Basically, it's free housing, very reduced tuition (or free in some cases), plus a cash stipend. I can't help but think that would pose some kind of rules problem.

Well, that opens up a whole new can of worms, because OU offers all sorts of benefits to National Merit Scholars that other universities don't offer. Basically, it's free housing, very reduced tuition (or free in some cases), plus a cash stipend. I can't help but think that would pose some kind of rules problem.
I don't think it would be much of an issue. How many star athletes are National Merit Scholars? I'm guessing we have a total of 0 in the football and basketball program. Bradford is smart, but he's not a National Merit Scholar.
Basically, it's free housing, very reduced tuition (or free in some cases), plus a cash stipend. I can't help but think that would pose some kind of rules problem.
Athletes get a lot more than the National Merit Scholars. The National Merit Scholars don't get free housing and food. There is a tuition waiver, but fees are just as much as tuition at OU. Money from the State Regents goes toward paying the fees but it doesn't cover all of it if you are taking more than 12 hours. The cash stipend comes from the National Merit Scholarship Corporation but that likely just goes toward books and other expenses the scholarship doesn't cover.

To get a National Merit or Regents scholarship you have to score in the 99.5 percentile so I don't think it affects many star athletes. The DOK had the all state scholar athletes (I forget what it was called) in the paper last week and none of them had high enough test scores to qualify for either scholarship.

Last edited:
I don't think it would be much of an issue. How many star athletes are National Merit Scholars? I'm guessing we have a total of 0 in the football and basketball program. Bradford is smart, but he's not a National Merit Scholar.

Athletes get a lot more than the National Merit Scholars. The National Merit Scholars don't get free housing and food. There is a tuition waiver, but fees are just as much as tuition at OU. Money from the State Regents goes toward paying the fees but it doesn't cover all of it if you are taking more than 12 hours. The cash stipend comes from the National Merit Scholarship Corporation but that likely just goes toward books and other expenses the scholarship doesn't cover.

To get a National Merit or Regents scholarship you have to score in the 99.5 percentile so I don't think it affects many star athletes

Are you sure about that? I know a couple of National Merit Scholars that say they don't pay a dime on anything and actually make money going to college.

Are you sure about that? I know a couple of National Merit Scholars that say they don't pay a dime on anything and actually make money going to college.
I was mainly disagreeing with the assertion that they get free housing, and I think calling it a cash stipend makes it seem like they are making money. The only difference between it and the rest of the scholarship money is that you get a check instead of it being deposited to the bursar. Freshman year you have to live in the dorms and get a meal plan. This is not free and I had to take out a loan to pay for it.

The National Merit Scholars are only making money going to college if they live at home, or if their parents are paying for their rent and food (I bet this is the case for the people you know). The stipend is $625, but almost all of mine next semester will go towards a parking permit ($195), football tickets ($160), and an OU/TX ticket ($100).

You also get some money from the part of the Regent's scholarship you don't use. If you only take 12 hours I think you could get like $1000 but I usually get like $400. This covers my books and sometime some of my rent. Out of state students probably won't get any from this (I'm not sure) because they don't get a full tuition waiver so they have to use the money on tuition.

I have to work during the summer and ~30 hours during the school year to pay for housing and food, so it doesn't really feel like I'm making money going to college. Like I said earlier, the kids that are money are probably only able to because their parents are paying for their housing.

The point I was trying to make was that because the athletic scholarship is better you aren't going to get athletes to come here for the academic scholarships. It doesn't even really matter though since it applies to so few people.

You used to be able to make money off of State Regents or National Merit scholarships, but the tuition waivers didn't increase as rapidly as tuition. When I was a freshman in 2000, I could take 18 hours for free. By the time I was a senior, I could barely take 12. My freshman year, I had money left over after tuition, books, fees, room/board and football/basketball tix. By my junior year, I was taking out loans and working a part time job to subsidize.

If it is open to all students at the university, then there is no violation. If an athlete earns a National Merit scholarship, he/she is entitled to all the rewards that are offered to regular students.

Fair enough. I just wasn't sure. For the record, I'm a current National Merit Scholar, and I get enough money from the university that I'm able to pay for my tuition and housing. I just have to buy my own food/gas/entertainment. So yeah, it's not a full scholarship, but I just wasn't sure on the rules. Thanks for clearing that up.

That thing has changed so much since my scholarship (1999-2003). Is it even 5 yrs anymore? I think I heard it might have been reduced to 4 some yrs ago..

Back