Willie is not a lotto today

No NBA GM is going to draft WW as a role player. Calling him a role player is simply trying to talk up his weaknesses right now.

Too soon to tell what WW "should" do. I'll let the season play out.

so you think every player that gets drafted in the top 10 spots are going to be the primary scorer? I would have to strongly disagree with you....WW will not be the primary scorer no matter what team he is on....which in return i believe that makes him a role player and he is a damn good one at that

WW will be a top 10 pick there is no doubt...

so you think every player that gets drafted in the top 10 spots are going to be the primary scorer? I would have to strongly disagree with you....WW will not be the primary scorer no matter what team he is on....which in return i believe that makes him a role player and he is a damn good one at that

WW will be a top 10 pick there is no doubt...

I don't get this comment. What does WW do at an outstanding level other than score? His passing is good at times but I don't see his ability to pass making him a lottery pick. I see his ability to get to the rim, take contact and finish as his strongest attribute. That is what makes him special (in my opinion).

With that said, I want to know who he defends in the NBA right now? I am not saying he cannot become a good defender but I don't see it now. I wouldn't take WW with a lottery pick if I were making the decision but I would have taken Doug Smith in 1990 (or whenever) so what the heck do I know.

I see his ability to get to the rim, take contact and finish as his strongest attribute. That is what makes him special (in my opinion).

He needs to shoot better to be a good NBA player. At 6'2'' or 6'3'' he won't make a living at the rim in the NBA.

He needs to shoot better to be a good NBA player. At 6'2'' or 6'3'' he won't make a living at the rim in the NBA.

But what makes him special today? My point is his strength right now is getting to the rim. Would you spend a lottery pick on an average shooter that gets to the rim in college and plays below average defense?

If Willie wants $$$$$ he should become the best defensive player he can be. Combining that with his offense would make him a lottery pick. Guys that do one thing great are all over the NBA. I think the special guys do multiple things great.

Look at it this way...

Willie is the shortest projected first round draft pick for any position, and thats with his listing at 6'4''. I think he is more like 6'3''.

He will probably be the shortest shooting guard taken in the entire draft.

But what makes him special today? My point is his strength right now is getting to the rim. Would you spend a lottery pick on an average shooter that gets to the rim in college and plays below average defense?

I would not take Willie in the lottery right now if I were a GM and the draft was tomorrow. If I needed a shooting guard I would take Wesley Johnson, Xavier Henry, Evan Turner, and Paul George in front of him. All of these guys are 6'6'' or 6'7'', shoot better, and are more versatile (can play 2/3) than Willie. I don't think Willie is a point guard so he is really just a 2.

Brandon Jennings stunk in Europe, was dumb for going and wasn't going to be a lottery pick either. At least that's what was send numerous times and by a lot of people.
He was a lotto pick and is doing okay in the NBA as a rookie.
The NBA drafts on potential if you haven't figured that out...and Willie Warren has a ton of it. I'd take him in the lotto.

I would not take Willie in the lottery right now if I were a GM and the draft was tomorrow. If I needed a shooting guard I would take Wesley Johnson, Xavier Henry, Evan Turner, and Paul George in front of him. All of these guys are 6'6'' or 6'7'', shoot better, and are more versatile (can play 2/3) than Willie. I don't think Willie is a point guard so he is really just a 2.

This is all that really needs to said at this point, when it comes to the draft and lottery, it is all about how many quality players are at your position and who needs what. Scoring guards are dime a dozen in the league, Willie right now doesn't have any certain characteristic which separates himself from other possible entries who play the SG position.

Side note.....Evan Turner is REAL nice.

Edit: This isn't a "bash WW" thread at all, it's just a critique of his game transferring to the NBA level.

Brandon Jennings stunk in Europe, was dumb for going and wasn't going to be a lottery pick either. At least that's what was send numerous times and by a lot of people.
The NBA drafts on potential if you haven't figured that out...and Willie Warren has a ton of it. I'd take him in the lotto.

Brandon Jennings is a point guard, and always has been.

The 2010-11 Sooners:

Clark/Davis
Ratliffe/Gordon/Hardrick
Gallon/Fitz/Allen
TMG/Taylor
Warren/Pledger

I thought it was a great decision, forced him to grow up as a basketball player. In addition, he didn't want to put in the effort to get academically eligible, so why should he stay on this side of the pond?

Don't think he liked Europe much because the lack of playing time and structure, but it was beneficial, I think even he has admitted that now.

And this is the issue for if he is not a point guard then what is he really? Seems like a tweener to me for he is not a pure shooter but it is not that glaring or detrimental for him at the college level because of his ability to drive to the bucket and getting fouled.

There is a lot of truth to that statement but I would counter it with every major bust has been a potential draft. Had the Pistons gone with proven talent over potential they would have Anthony. Personally, I would be conservative and draft on proven talent, particularly if they play on the perimeter and went to college, even for a year. I suppose it could be different with Centers and PF.

I think WW is a great player, I am just not seeing player of the year, MVP of the Big XII or lottery pick from him yet this season. It is early. I hope he maks me look like an idiot.

Look at it this way...

Willie is the shortest projected first round draft pick for any position, and thats with his listing at 6'4''. I think he is more like 6'3''.

He will probably be the shortest shooting guard taken in the entire draft.

Agreed not today anyway

Willie has great vision, which will serve him well as a point guard. He has to be a point, which may be a reason for more seasoning.
How does Willie coming back to OU make him a better PG?

So he has a better chance of improving his shot at OU as opposed to the NBA where he will have a personal assistant to shoot with every day of the year?

Last edited:
Experience? But I really don't see OU playing him at point all that much this year and would think it would be even less next year because TMG will be an improved player.

Did Willie remind anyone of Nolan Johnson? Some younger people may not remember Nolan all that well but late in a game with a lead OU could just give him the ball run 25-30 seconds and Nolan would go into the lane and get fouled or make a shot. Willie may be even better at that than Nolan was.

The best Nolan Johnson game was when he pretty much beat OSU by himself.

So he has a better chance of improving his shot at OU as opposed to the NBA where he will have a personal assistant to shoot with every day of the year?

I didn't say that... I just said he needs to be a better shooter to be the type of player some people expect him to be at the next level.

He can improve his game much better with NBA coaching and resources.

Did Willie remind anyone of Nolan Johnson? Some younger people may not remember Nolan all that well but late in a game with a lead OU could just give him the ball run 25-30 seconds and Nolan would go into the lane and get fouled or make a shot. Willie may be even better at that than Nolan was.

Nolan Johnson was a warrior, a beast. Willie is not either of those. Willie is a "flashy" player, where Nolan Johnson was a really hard worker and used his toughness and size to finish around the rim. He had a great game off the dribble, which they have in common but they are much different, IMO.

Back