Willie is not a lotto today

Don't worry about being a short 2 guard, he will play PG. With his ability to go to the basket, I think he will be a very good PG in the NBA He will be drafted early

Experience? But I really don't see OU playing him at point all that much this year and would think it would be even less next year because TMG will be an improved player.
That's what I mean. If you don't play PG but every now and then, coming back to become a better PG when the current PG is a freshmen is null.

Did Willie remind anyone of Nolan Johnson? Some younger people may not remember Nolan all that well but late in a game with a lead OU could just give him the ball run 25-30 seconds and Nolan would go into the lane and get fouled or make a shot. Willie may be even better at that than Nolan was.
Willie makes a lot more plays, handles the ball better, and shoots the ball better. (going off of last year, not a few games into this year) Nolan was tougher than him, but Willie goes in there pretty hard as well. Certainly Nolan was "stronger" although one of Willie's strengths as a combo guard is his ability to get into the lane and use his strength. Willie is at least twice as talented with a much more rounded game.

I was just referencing his liklihood of getting into the lottery, do also think he would be best served going pro after this year because if he comes back, his stock may not climb a whole bunch (pg reference). There are just too many players who I feel would be drafted ahead of him right now for him to be in the top half.

I love the WW bashing. It comes from the same people who are all doom and gloom over this team due to a young team finding it's way in the pre season.

Please stop calling this the "pre-season."
If we lose any more games in this "pre-season" we will not make the tournament.

Please stop calling this the "pre-season."
If we lose any more games in this "pre-season" we will not make the tournament.

I find his use of NBA lingo while discussing college basketball humerous.

In college basketball, they look at your "body of work" to select teams and determine seeding. Losses to VCU, Houston, and San Diego are not like losing pre-season games or even early regular season games in the NBA. The NBA season is 82 games and you can make the playoffs with a .500 record. Its just a bad comparison.

This team has some tough games remaining in the non-conference, and a very tough Big 12 schedule. They will be fighting and clawing for the NCAA Tournament, IMO.

We still have not seen enough to say this is an NCAA Tournament team. The win over Arkansas means pretty much nothing, since they are horrific and it was at home. A win is a win, but that Arkansas team wont win any more than 10 or 11 games this year.

I don't know if he is lottery, but it sure was relaxing to see him put the game in the ice bucket at the end and Arkansas could do nothing about it.

I think some of the problems Willie has right now is that he and TMG are a lot alike as players. Willie is taller and bigger and a much better scorer. But they both have similar roles on the team and that really hurts each other. It seems like both are playing better when the other isn't on the court.

Until Willie changes his shot, he will always be a streaky shooter from deep and continue to have trouble getting his shot up off the bounce...unless he is planning on shooting floaters the rest of his life.

I think your right, a lot of his shots get stuffed when he drives to the hoop, that's why he's allways falling down, imo.

Brandon Jennings is a point guard, and always has been.

That wasn't my point. My point was people were saying he wasn't that good because he avg 6 a game in Europe, people said he was a bust, etc, etc but bottom line he had potential so the NBA drafted him in the lottery. I think WW will be as well.

Hopefully, WW gets it going soon. but right now, he's no NBA point guard! He's not even a good division 1 PG. Everytime he is running point, I am nervous. I am tired of watching him dribble around , only to have the ball stolen away. And then, instead of turning and chasing down the ball, he pouts like a little kid who just had his cookie taken from him. His attitude is embarrassing and childish. He could become a liability if his behavior becomes contagious.

WW to me is playing lost right now. However, I don't think this will last very long. For those who are posting some of the negative comments. Just remember those things you're saying when WW starts heating it up like last years saxet and kansas games. There's a reason this kid was big 12 freshman of the the year. I really think Willie's biggest problem right now is that he is hurt that he hasn't lived up to the expectations of being the leader of this team. He's too down on himself. He's putting too much pressure on himself. I think that the play of Cade and Tony will calm WW down. Now he can realize that he has two other guys that he can share the leadership role with. By the way Nolan Johnson was a good player for OU, but Nolan Johnson didn't have the ability to take over a complete basketball game like Willie has done. It would be nice to see WW play harder. He showed last year that he could do this. He needs to get back to being the real WW. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:williew

I almost hate to say this, but Willie looks like a player that is frustrated that he isn't playing with better players. I don't think he is down on his own play as much as the talent around him.

Of course that isn't good leadership, but he's still young and that light will probably go on for him sometime this year.

I spent most of last year thinking Willie was not that good, but I was focusing on his outside shooting. It was after watching his absolute ability to get to the basket anytime against anyone when I realized how talented he really is.

Last edited:
Look at it this way...

Willie is the shortest projected first round draft pick for any position, and thats with his listing at 6'4''. I think he is more like 6'3''.

He will probably be the shortest shooting guard taken in the entire draft.

I would not take Willie in the lottery right now if I were a GM and the draft was tomorrow. If I needed a shooting guard I would take Wesley Johnson, Xavier Henry, Evan Turner, and Paul George in front of him. All of these guys are 6'6'' or 6'7'', shoot better, and are more versatile (can play 2/3) than Willie. I don't think Willie is a point guard so he is really just a 2.

willie is a point guard .. he plays the point about half the time for OU and he leads our team in ast per game ... pretty much every nba scout see's him as a future nba 1 .... he will be a lotto pick ...

There are too many wannabe psychologists on this board.

For those who are posting some of the negative comments. Just remember those things you're saying when WW starts heating it up like last years saxet and kansas games.

Right, b/c criticizing him now means we NEVER think he'll turn it around.

So the perceived "attitude" that is frequently discussed on this board comes from nowhere and is unimportant. Is that right? Or, is it not appropriate to discuss? If that is true, then what's the purpose of a discussion board. The preceding are the type comments that inevitably lead these forums to less meaningful discussion and ultimately lower traffic. Have you looked back at Rivals lately?

Just for clarification, am I at all worried about anything WW related, NO. I think WW is a terrific player. Willie is a competitor. I don't expect him to have a smile on his face with the way we have played early

Last edited:
Willie looks like a player that is frustrated that he isn't playing with better players. I don't think he is down on his own play as much as the talent around him.

And you surmise this from WHAT exactly????

This board provides more surprises for me every day...I mean, just WOW.

I almost hate to say this, but Willie looks like a player that is frustrated that he isn't playing with better players. I don't think he is down on his own play as much as the talent around him.

Than WW isn't the player he thinks he is. Great players elevate THEIR play when they have less talented teams. This team has plenty of role-playing talent this year. I say role-playing b/c of their age. Guys like Tiny, TMG, and Pledger has star-abilities as they mature.

This was suppose to be WW's team. He hasn't taken that role yet.

Back