Willie is not a lotto today

Than WW isn't the player he thinks he is. Great players elevate THEIR play when they have less talented teams. This team has plenty of role-playing talent this year. I say role-playing b/c of their age. Guys like Tiny, TMG, and Pledger has star-abilities as they mature.

This was suppose to be WW's team. He hasn't taken that role yet.

I agree with this...I personally think we have the same or more talent at every position but blakes position....blake just did so many things aside from scoring that helped the team....he really did it all...

but I think we have plenty of talent around warren for him to succeed...Offense isnt the issue its defense

I surmise from my own observation and perspective. That's my I chose the screen name: myopinion, so the context would be clear. I'm not claiming absolute correctness. It's just what I think and yes, a Great Player wouldn't do that, but he is 2 years out of high school and in the process of becoming a "great player"

I surmise from my own observation and perspective. That's my I chose the screen name: myopinion, so the context would be clear. I'm not claiming absolute correctness. It's just what I think and yes, a Great Player wouldn't do that, but he is 2 years out of high school and in the process of becoming a "great player"

ok, forgive my reaction--of course I value everyone's opinion and yours as well, I am just honestly wondering what it was in your observation and perspective that made you believe that WW is upset because he is not happy with the talent level around him.

Look, I REALLY disliked his body language during parts of the game and I was troubled by it as well--do I think he'll snap out of it and have a better presence on the court in due time--you betcha--and I think all of us think he'll get the hang of it too. I was just wondering where you made the connection between the body language and the thought that he was unhappy with his teammates' talent.

That's a serious claim--just wondering why you have that conclusion.

It was just body language, something I saw early the other night at the LNC that made me wonder. I think it was either a turnover or missed open shot by someone else. A look of frustration, if you will.

I probably shouldn't have brought it up. It's not unusual for a maturing superstar to have that attitude. To the extent, that a player sees something he needs to manage and does manage it, I even think it can be a good thing. It's not like that possible conclusion isn't true. Willie is better than anyone else on that team. He won't be surrounded by comparable talent until the next level.

I didn't mean the comment as an absolute negative, more like an anticipated part of the journey to become a more complete player.

Ouch on the Willie bashing, I just said if the lotto was today he wouldn't be picked. Unless something changes he will be playing college ball next year which is a great idea if you ask me.

Sorry to disagree, but Willie is every bit the kind of player that sticks in the NBA. The college game and the pro game seem very different, but make no mistake, the NBA is a much higher level and Willie is ready to play that game now. It seems more than obvious to me after watching Westbrooke's transition that Willie will play point in the NBA. Long term, I think he will be a star. I couldn't be higher on WW at that level of the game.

It was just body language, something I saw early the other night at the LNC that made me wonder. I think it was either a turnover or missed open shot by someone else. A look of frustration, if you will.

I probably shouldn't have brought it up. It's not unusual for a maturing superstar to have that attitude. To the extent, that a player sees something he needs to manage and does manage it, I even think it can be a good thing. It's not like that possible conclusion isn't true. Willie is better than anyone else on that team. He won't be surrounded by comparable talent until the next level.

I didn't mean the comment as an absolute negative, more like an anticipated part of the journey to become a more complete player.

hmm..fair enough, fair enough. I was just wanting to get a peek in your thought process on that, I see where you're coming from now. I sincerely hope you didn't think I was just attacking you out of the blue (sorry about the tone of my first post)--I was just honestly interested where the viewpoint came from.

thanks for responding, man.

Willie will benefit greatly on offense from the spacing in the NBA like Chris Paul did.

I'm not a psychologist, but I would suggest a psychiatrist for any GM that drafts WW right now as a lottery pick.

Since he is not shooting well at all, is there a position called "driving to the basket in order to get fouled in the last few minutes of the game" guard? He throws the ball away too much to be a point.

There is a lot of room for improvement, none of which I suspect that a pro GM would want to be done on the NBA level.

WW is a decent 3 point shooter he is struggling right now but I think it's because he's forcing too much. He's shooting 3s when he shouldn't be shooting them.

I'm not a psychologist, but I would suggest a psychiatrist for any GM that drafts WW right now as a lottery pick.

Since he is not shooting well at all, is there a position called "driving to the basket in order to get fouled in the last few minutes of the game" guard? He throws the ball away too much to be a point.

There is a lot of room for improvement, none of which I suspect that a pro GM would want to be done on the NBA level.
At least your argument was based on current ability, and not some babble about his attitude or what he thinks about his teammates or who is on his Christmas list.

Sorry to disagree, but Willie is every bit the kind of player that sticks in the NBA. The college game and the pro game seem very different, but make no mistake, the NBA is a much higher level and Willie is ready to play that game now. It seems more than obvious to me after watching Westbrooke's transition that Willie will play point in the NBA. Long term, I think he will be a star. I couldn't be higher on WW at that level of the game.

Yes but if the draft was today he would not be a lotto, late first rounder maybe. There are clearly 15+ guys that would go ahead of him.

I agree with the Chris Paul analogy. Nobody is saying WW is going to the NBA on his shooting ability. He goes to the NBA on his ability to create plays as he moves to the basket. He can take it all the way, probably against anyone and he will learn to mix in the notion of assist.

I'd be happy to bet anyone that WW makes an NBA team and so far, as well as I can see, he is the only current OU player that is NBA quality.

Who would those 15 be?

I don't know that I could list 15 because I don't know enough about all the different conferences but I can think of some guys in the Big XII that may go before Willie. Brackins, Aldrich, Collins (maybe), Anderson (maybe), Dunn (maybe), maybe a guy or two from Texas. As good as Willie is, I don't think it is a stretch to suggest 3-7ish guys from the Big XII could get drafted before him. I don't think I could take Willie in front of Brackins or Aldrich. Aldrich is darn good and he is a big guy. As he gets older and fills out more he is going to be a freaking force. I think that guys is going to have a really long NBA career unless he gets injured.

With that said, I will also freely admit I tend to be wrong about the guys that will make it in the NBA. I thought LaFrentz would be a star based on some of the things he did in college. I thought Ryan Minor and Doug Smith would both have long careers. I don't think Minor made a roster and Smith is one of the biggest busts of all time. I would have never picked Hoiberg to have a long career but he did.

Willie is so good he's not playing well right now and still averaging 19 a game. Imagine how much he'll be scoring once he gets out of this funk.

I don't know that I could list 15 because I don't know enough about all the different conferences but I can think of some guys in the Big XII that may go before Willie. Brackins, Aldrich, Collins (maybe), Anderson (maybe), Dunn (maybe), maybe a guy or two from Texas. As good as Willie is, I don't think it is a stretch to suggest 3-7ish guys from the Big XII could get drafted before him. I don't think I could take Willie in front of Brackins or Aldrich. Aldrich is darn good and he is a big guy. As he gets older and fills out more he is going to be a freaking force. I think that guys is going to have a really long NBA career unless he gets injured.

With that said, I will also freely admit I tend to be wrong about the guys that will make it in the NBA. I thought LaFrentz would be a star based on some of the things he did in college. I thought Ryan Minor and Doug Smith would both have long careers. I don't think Minor made a roster and Smith is one of the biggest busts of all time. I would have never picked Hoiberg to have a long career but he did.

of the guys you listed 1 (aldrich) might go ahead of willie ...

that is all

Willie sure looks like a lotto pick to me. He's unstoppable!!!!!!!

Willie sure looks like a lotto pick to me. He's unstoppable!!!!!!!

This is the best I have seen Willie look this year. Outstanding first half and quite frankly the refs owe him a call or two.

Back