Willie is not a lotto today

LOL @ any GM dumb enough to pick that stiff Aldrich ahead of Willie Warren.

Aldrich is just another tall slow goofball who will get abused in the NBA while WW will be slicing and dicing finding his spots all over the floor and getting to the rim often.

Aldrich is the number 1 ranked true center in college this year I wouldn't call him a stiff.

Yeah well you said WW is not a lotto too so we'll take that with a grain of salt.

Aldrich is a stiff. He has no upside. There goes Cole Aldrich doing what he does best ... being tall.

How about apg?

No it's not, and I think thebigabd was speaking whimsically.
Originally Posted by thebigabd View Post
The title of the thread claimed he was not a lotto TODAY. Clearly he is on 12/6/2009 though....

Good way to put it.

Yes, it really was. Warren has not been playing well. He has been often non-existent on defense, and he has made some rather juvenile turnovers. He hasn't been hitting his shot, whether short jumpers or behind the arc. About the only thing he had been doing was to collect fouls late in the game and go to the free throw line, making his totals look good.

I don't know why he was benched for a game. But, I would have benched him just to get his attention if nothing else.

Yesterday, for the first time this year, he played like the All-American that he is supposed to be. Until yesterday, any thoughts of his being valuable were based on reputation and wishful thinking. We had lived and died with Crocker and the freshman, not WW.

Just don't see the fuss...what is Willie going to play at the next level? Won't be shooting guard. Like I said earlier in this thread, until he changes his form, he will be inconsistent from behind the arc and any pull-up jumper which isn't a floater.

He played really well yesterday, showing us the WW that we expect at OU. That doesn't prove he is going to be a "star" at the next level, the measurables for collegiate success and NBA success are not congruent.

the measurables for collegiate success and NBA success are not congruent.

I should make that my signature. I get SO sick and tired and of people trying to act like the NBA takes the best available college players every season. They don't. They take the best available college players that FIT into the NBA game. That is why people like Hollis and Ace, who were both top 10 college players their senior seasons, IMO, neither are on an NBA roster.

Willie is almost impossible to play man to man, he'll be a star in the NBA because of his ability to drive and get points, and he can also shoot lights out. I think there's a good chance he's a better NBA player than Blake Griffin will be.

Willie is almost impossible to play man to man, he'll be a star in the NBA because of his ability to drive and get points, and he can also shoot lights out. I think there's a good chance he's a better NBA player than Blake Griffin will be.

Define "lights out"...my interpretation is that someone is a great shooter most of the time.

I'm not saying Willie won't get some time in the NBA, he most certainly will. However, at this point in his development (notice I used "development") he is no sure fire NBA lottery pick/contributor.

Define "lights out"...my interpretation is that someone is a great shooter most of the time.

I'm not saying Willie won't get some time in the NBA, he most certainly will. However, at this point in his development (notice I used "development") he is no sure fire NBA lottery pick/contributor.

I said he can shoot lights out, not that he's a pure shooter. There's a difference, his game is perfect for the NBA and probably even better for the NBA then it is in college.

LOL @ any GM dumb enough to pick that stiff Aldrich ahead of Willie Warren.

Aldrich is just another tall slow goofball who will get abused in the NBA while WW will be slicing and dicing finding his spots all over the floor and getting to the rim often.
Good post, Boca, I tend to agree. It's not that I think Aldrich isn't a really good college player, but he's going to have trouble in the league keeping up with the footspeed of the game. There just aren't very many true posts left for him to guard. I guess he could try to go out and guard Chris Bosh, lol.

With the cluster that is the lane in the college game, he gets to just stand there and rack up blocked shots and putbacks. With the spacing of the NBA game, I think he will have trouble finding a niche.

The one plus he does have for the next level is his ability to hit the 15 footer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah well you said WW is not a lotto too so we'll take that with a grain of salt.

Yup I said this on 12/03. If Lotto was today
No way Willie is a lotto right now, very good college player at times this year and average at other times this year.

He looked super against AZ hopefully this trend continues

Yup I said this on 12/03. If Lotto was today
No way Willie is a lotto right now, very good college player at times this year and average at other times this year.

He looked super against AZ hopefully this trend continues
Buttermaker you need to take a look at other lottery picks and how they played in your eyes in college. Then you could also look at guys that weren't lotto's who probably in your eyes should have been based on college performance. Then, go look and see how those players in those categories are performing in the NBA. You can start with Russell Westbrook and JJ Redick.

I should make that my signature. I get SO sick and tired and of people trying to act like the NBA takes the best available college players every season. They don't. They take the best available college players that FIT into the NBA game. That is why people like Hollis and Ace, who were both top 10 college players their senior seasons, IMO, neither are on an NBA roster.
But that works the other way as well.

I'm at a loss to understand why folks don't see that WW is a point guard in the NBA. Point in the NBA and point in college are not the same. WW would seem to be the perfect NBA point guard with his one on one ability

dang butter, thanks for clueing me in. I thought NBA execs picked people based on their skill sets and potential. I didn't realize they changed their picks daily based on how a player does in 10 below temps in Alaska playing with 4 true freshman in a glorified exhibition at a middle school gymnasium.

Last edited by a moderator:
dang butter, thanks for clueing me in. I thought NBA execs picked people based on their skill sets and potential. I didn't realize they changed their picks daily based on how a player does in 10 below temps in Alaska playing with 4 true freshman in a glorified exhibition at a middle school gymnasium.

After Alaska he was not playing ike a lotto. You would think a lotto with a little talent around him a potential lotto pick could find a way to play with teams like San Diego but hey we did beat Nichol's State. Oh wait he was benched for that game.

Furthermore someone playing to the caliber of a Lotto pick would find his way in the Alaska shootout all conference 1st or 2nd? Maybe he just isn't a cold weather player like you said or we were playing top 10 teams.

Wonder if any of these guys would be a lotto pick today?

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER
Klay Thompson – WSU

ALL TOURNAMENT TEAM – 2009 Shootout
Malcolm Campbell – UAA
DeAngelo Castro – WSU
Aubrey Coleman – UH
Brandon Johnson – USD
Chris Lewis – USD
Kelvin Lewis – UH
De’Jon Jackson – USD
Reggie Moore – WSU
Brandon Walker – WSU
Tiny Gallon – OU

butter, there has never been and will never be an NBA lottery pick determined by their performance at the great alaska shootout.

But, let's say there is, which of Willies 2 performances doomed his lottery chances? His 30 point game vs San Diego or his 25 point effort vs Houston?

butter, there has never been and will never be an NBA lottery pick determined by their performance at the great alaska shootout.

But, let's say there is, which of Willies 2 performances doomed his lottery chances? His 30 point game vs San Diego or his 25 point effort vs Houston?

I think people are interchanging Willie's play with the teams play. The team has played bad, not just Willie.

I don't even think the team has played bad per se Nick. The team has played young and the coach has shuffled the rotation giving people a chance to prove they can contribute. He threw guys a bone to prove themselves.

Now the smoke is starting to clear and the 2 most productive upperclassmen and the 3 McDonalds All Americans underclassmen will get the lions share of the minutes with Steven Pledger and Ryan Wright earning reserve minutes.

Back