With OU softball playing LMU, it reminded me (OU-LMU hoops)

NMSooner'80

Reaction score
I only got to see the third of the three games in person, and it was the year after Bo Kimble and that epic senior class graduated. Of course, the star of that team, Hank Gathers passed away on the court at the conference tournament in 1990.

My brother got to see the one game played out at LMU, and it was the one where each team had a 40-point scorer. Kimble scored 46, but Skeeter Henry almost matched him with 41 in a 136-121 OU win. It was also the game right after Gathers collapsed on the court the first time.

I was in Albuquerque at a game the same night that OU hosted LMU when Kimble, Gathers and Jeff Fryer were all juniors. I know OU won by 33, but it was a fairly tight game at the half. As I recall, OU was up 64-63 at the half.

The third game was the year in which both teams were rebuilding. Brent Price set the LNC record with 56 points, one better than Wayman Tisdale's 55-point effort in the fall of '84. OU won that one, 172-112. BTW, Tisdale's school record of 61 points happened in OKC.

The OU team that won at LMU basically beat their team that made the "magical run" in the NCAA tournament after Gathers' death. My brother said that was one of the best basketball games he'd ever seen.

I was able to see both of the games here at LNC and of course watch the one at Loyola on tv. Funny but one of my memories of the game there was a non descript bench player for them that came into the game and played like his hair was on fire and made a huge impact for them in terms of hustle and rebounding and hounding on defense. Both coaches philosophy made it so that if you held the ball longer than 10 to 15 seconds you were considered trying to "slow down the tempo"! Haha, let that sink in! Great fun watchin those games.

I was pretty young, but I remember a guy named Per Stumer from like Sweden or something. He couldn't miss...

The game in Los Angeles (right around Christmas) was tied at 107 when ESPN returned from the under-8 media timeout.

I was at both games in the LNC and on the floor covering the game for the Shawnee News Star in 1990. Wow. What a collection of athletes. So much fun to watch and the LNC was jammed packed, loud and a real home-court advantage for OU.

Back