Would we be better off if WW was dismissed from the team?

seniorsooner

Reaction score
I'm sure this will turn into a flame war, but at this point I think it's a question that needs to be asked. If this were an NBA team he would have long since been sent home and they would immediately look to find a trade partner for him. They would never allow a guy's effort/attitude to be so destructive to the team as a whole.

At this point the rest of this season needs to be about getting our young players as much playing team as possible so they can improve. We are going to be very, very young/green again next year so it is critical that the youngsters we have this year get as much seasoning as possible. We don't need poor attitudes and poor work ethic bleeding into next season as well. I'm not in the locker room so I don't know what's really going on, but if WW is truly affecting the rest of the team in a negative manner then significant actions need to be taken.

I honestly don't know. It seems to be largely held by quite a few people that post on this board that he is. Some of the things I have seen from him on the court have disturbed me, but as I said I don't know what goes on behind closed doors. Perhaps someone with actual knowledge of the situation can enlighten us further.

He shouldn't be dismissed from the team.
Capel decided to play a 4 guard line-up because he said he wanted his best 5 players on the floor.
It's time to put the best 5 ATTITUDES on the floor. If that includes Willie, fine. If it doesn't, maybe he'll get the picture.

Would we be better in the short term? No way.

In the long term? Maybe. I'd wait until about half way through Big 12 play before making that decision though, and honestly, I'm not sure I've seen enough from WW to get him kicked off the team. If "not playing hard" is the best we have against him, that simply isn't enough. Let him play, then push him to the NBA after the season.

Would we be better in the short term? No way.

In the long term? Maybe. I'd wait until about half way through Big 12 play before making that decision though, and honestly, I'm not sure I've seen enough from WW to get him kicked off the team. If "not playing hard" is the best we have against him, that simply isn't enough. Let him play, then push him to the NBA after the season.

At this point I think that's all we should be concerned about because when it comes to this season there is no short term anymore.

Please keep posts to the topic at hand. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think we would be better off if Willie Warren was dismissed from the team.

please refrain from bashing other posters!

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of what happens with Willie this year, I fully believe he is in for a culture shock when he goes through the draft process and moves onto the NBA.

I'm sure this will turn into a flame war, but at this point I think it's a question that needs to be asked. If this were an NBA team he would have long since been sent home and they would immediately look to find a trade partner for him. They would never allow a guy's effort/attitude to be so destructive to the team as a whole.

At this point the rest of this season needs to be about getting our young players as much playing team as possible so they can improve. We are going to be very, very young/green again next year so it is critical that the youngsters we have this year get as much seasoning as possible. We don't need poor attitudes and poor work ethic bleeding into next season as well. I'm not in the locker room so I don't know what's really going on, but if WW is truly affecting the rest of the team in a negative manner then significant actions need to be taken.

IF: based on his effort in games, he should be benched.

IF: it is discovered that his attitude is having a negative effect on the younger players and/or provides them with the idea that they can get away with such an attitude, he should be dismissed.

We do not have the information on which to base this decision. We are dealing with IFs. I will be interested to see whether Capel will tolerate a negative influence on the team. The fact that this is even a question is a concern. How often do you see an OU athlete that gives such an effort that you would consider that dismissing him from the team would be necessary? How many athletes can you say that about? Looney, Dupree?

I certainly don't think it would make OU better off if WW was dismissed from the team.

What I would like to see is for him to come off the bench and have his minutes cut down until he tries on defense. Note: by tries I mean that he actually attempts to fight through screens, puts his hands up, hustles back after a missed or made shot, runs out on wing players that are about to shoot a three, and rotates correctly in the zone instead of playing the smallest space of anyone on the team.

Until he does these things then please play Ray Willis and Steven Pledger and hold Willie accountable. It is obvious that talking with Willie and challenging him through the media have not worked.

The answer is no. None of the WW bashers would be better off if he was dismissed from the team. They would still have no life and just find somebody else to live vicariously through to make up for their inadequacies.
:ez-roll:

What has WW done that would suggest he should be dismissed from the team? If the only answer is he does not play defense well (or try hard enough) then my answer is absolutely no. If he skips practices, causes distractions, and/or is insubordinate to the coaching staff, then perhaps but has anything like that ever been rumored let alone reported?

At this point releasing WW from the team would be a dramatic overreaction. He hasn't even been benched yet for his pouting or lack of effort. If his effort continues to lack, he needs to be benched.

Dude, you have some serious issues. This is a board for discussion. Stop trying to bully people that bring up topics that you don't want to be discussed. Feel free to just not respond if you can't add anything more than personal insults.

I thought you were talking about one of your buddies. ;)

Last edited:
The answer is no. None of the WW bashers would be better off if he was dismissed from the team. They would still have no life and just find somebody else to live vicariously through to make up for their inadequacies.

replace WW with Cade and that is you.

you have lost all credibility.

I thought you were talking about one of your buddies. ;)

I have buddies? Who knew.

Let me ask you this: if Beau Gerber exhibited the lack of effort on the defensive end in practice that Willie exhibits in games, do you think he would be disciplined in some manner? I'm wagering the answer to that is yes. Whenever teammates see or feel that a certain player is getting by without having to put out as much effort as others, that can be extremely destructive to team morale. But maybe I and numerous others on this board have it all wrong and everything is roses with Willie, the coaches, and his teammates.

Team dismissal? This is what we're contemplating now for WW?

We've reached a new low.

Back