Would we be better off if WW was dismissed from the team?

I'm not saying it has an impact on pro scouts, just negotiable contract value. Let's say it just amounts to $100,000, it's still economic damage.

When is that video going to show up?

Last edited:
Why do you heap all the failures of the team on WW. This team is bad mostly because it is missing a few upperclassmen and using too many freshman. WW was not ready for the load that was placed on him and the supporting cast made the load heavier. WW is not Superman, he went in last years draft #1. He never proved that he was a POY type guy yet that is what we expected but you can't just wish it and then expect it to be true.

I'm certainly not heaping all of the failures of this team on Willie. My concern is if his teammates see that he is not giving max effort at times and that is rubbing off on them as a result, then that's a problem.

I really thought a long time about whether or not to even post this but I feel like the time to act as a "pep club" on this board has come to an end because we should expect more out of Oklahoma basketball than we're seeing this year. Still I feel bad if it comes across that I'm bashing WW, even though I realize it is hard not to. I just think the future is much bigger than any one player.

How can anyone fault WW before the coaches? If he is not trying it is the coaches fault. Bench him, break his will, coach him or simply kick his spoiled $$. The problem is not WW, he is a symptom.

Everyone is trying to take this season out on WW and it is not fully warranted at all. Yea he hasn't met everyone's expectations this year so far but he is by far the best player on this team. He has had his rough spots so far this year no doubt. But if anyone really thinks getting rid of WW would make this team be better off, they are absolutely basketball ignorant. There have been so many threads on this board about how the play of this team has been WW's fault. If you don't think he is doing his best, you are out of your mind. He wants to win just as much as he wants to get his. No one was complaining about him last year when we were winning. Granted I know we had Blake. But he was a team player all last year. This year he really has been what everyone wanted from him last year. He is being a little more selfish. Most people wanted him to shoot more. Everyone last year was wanting him to take more shots and now he is and they aren't falling at a high rate right now. It's not like they aren't going to fall. The team this year is real young and most people had to high of expectations for all of the freshman causing a big dissapointment in the season right now. This is causing everyone to take their frustration out on WW because he is our most talented player. But he is doing everything he can. If you think he likes losing and just getting his points, you are out of your mind. Bottom line, there is no way taking a lottery pick off OU makes us a better team. WW is a great player and sooner and I think it is shameful that so many want to criticize and belittle everything he does for the university.

Should WW be dismissed from team? Absolutely not. Should WW give more effort and less attitude on both ends of the floor? Absolutely.

What do you want me to do, make you a highlight video from the last two games of Warren dogging it on defense? I will if that is what you want. I don't profess to be an expert on the game, but it is clear as a bell that he is putting out the least amount of effort on defense.

I also highly doubt that Coach Capel is telling him to force it through three guys when he has the two best shooters on the team this year (TMG and Crock) sitting wide open ready for the kick-out. He did that three times against Gonzaga, and it resulted in two TOs and a badly missed lay-up. It wouldn't hurt to see him hit a wide open teammate.

Is Warren the only reason that this team is 8-5? Far from it. But what he is doing is flat out poor, and seems ridiculous for a guy that wants to be a lotto pick.

At some point, the blame is going to shift from Willie to the coaching staff because they need to bench him if he doesn't play with effort on defense. It baffles me that nothing changed between the UTEP game and the Gonzaga game.

I will be the first to recognize it if/when he starts playing hard on both ends. I have seen flashes of it this year from him (the Utah second half/OT comes to mind).

:clap

Why do you heap all the failures of the team on WW. This team is bad mostly because it is missing a few upperclassmen and using too many freshman. WW was not ready for the load that was placed on him and the supporting cast made the load heavier. WW is not Superman, he went in last years draft #1. He never proved that he was a POY type guy yet that is what we expected but you can't just wish it and then expect it to be true.

First let me say that WW needs to remain on the team. He is the best player on the team. Capel just needs to figure out how to make him play with effort.

Second point is this. It is crystal clear to me that WW should have been mentioned in POY talk although before the year started I chuckled when I heard it. The guy is unstoppable offensively. What I can't understand about WW is this. Most everyone on this board gets it but WW does not seem to grasp this concept. The simple concept is this. If WW would play on both ends of the court with effort then he is POY and filthy rich at the end of the year. The other benefit is that OU would be on their way to the NCAA tourney.

No WW can't improve the skill of players around him but he can improve their effort by leadership.

No WW can't improve the skill of players around him but he can improve their effort by leadership.

I agree with that but I want to add that he clearly is not ready to be that leader even though we all wish it to be. WW is far from the 1st kid that didn't have it early in his career. Some never got it and most needed 3 , 4 or 5 years.

I agree with that but I want to add that he clearly is not ready to be that leader even though we all wish it to be. WW is far from the 1st kid that didn't have it early in his career. Some never got it and most needed 3 , 4 or 5 years.

I have no problems with WW not being the kind of leader that Blake, or Eduardo, or somebody more vocal and team-oriented may be. Fine, that isn't WW. Not everybody can lead that way.

But what WW CAN do, and should do as OU's most skilled player, is to lead by example. That means setting the tone on defense. That means hustling back. That means not pouting. That means playing hard all the time. That means taking over games early, instead of waiting until we're down 15 before he starts being aggressive.

That is my biggest problem with WW right now. He isn't leading by example, and when your best player doesn't do that, and you have a young team, especially, you struggle.

I have no problems with WW not being the kind of leader that Blake, or Eduardo, or somebody more vocal and team-oriented may be. Fine, that isn't WW. Not everybody can lead that way.

But what WW CAN do, and should do as OU's most skilled player, is to lead by example. That means setting the tone on defense. That means hustling back. That means not pouting. That means playing hard all the time. That means taking over games early, instead of waiting until we're down 15 before he starts being aggressive.

That is my biggest problem with WW right now. He isn't leading by example, and when your best player doesn't do that, and you have a young team, especially, you struggle.

Wonderful post, TU. I couldn't agree more.

WW isn't bringing effort on Defense. Neither is Gallon, TMG, or Pledger.

WW hasn't had a positive attitude. Neither has Gallon, TMG, or Willis.

If you entertain dismissing him, you entertain dismissinga alot of folk.

That is a great post TU. I have been one of the first to defend WW all year but I can't keep doing it when he gives no effort.

DM its unfair to throw Willis in there because he hasn't had the opportunity to play for whatever reason that we aren't sure of. I know he practices hard and he and Fitz played hard at BOTH ends against Gonzaga. TMG attempts to play defense it just doesn't look like he knows how and is getting abused by upper classmen. Tiny is coming off his best effort against UTEP, especially in the 2nd half.

Most everyone here does not feel WW should be dismissed at all, but I and several others think a change up should happen whether that be to not start him and bring him off the bench or something to that effect. I will point out again that when Capel set him out the whole game in Alaska he came out the next game and played like a leader and carried the team on his back. I think he needs that motivation again.

Great News for Willie Warren

Being criticized by people on this message board is a godsend. First Frank Martin was the worst coach in the history of college basketball, then Pat Knight, then Scott Drew and of course they are all having very successful careers.

Enjoy it Willie. You have been dissed by the worst prognosticators in all of basketball!!!!!

Re: Great News for Willie Warren

Boca I really hope you're right and I'm wrong. I really do.

There is no way WW should be dismissed....Without him we would be alot worse off....
Plus he will be going to the NBA next year and having more guys in the NBA will always help out with future recruits

Another player in the NBA might help with future recruits, but there might be even more impact if WW had positive memories from playing here. I'm not sure the discussion on this thread will do much to help build those memories even if things do get better competively.

"Hey, we're losing, you're a lazy bum; hey, we're winning, you've always been a great player" Yea, thanks for the support, I love you too.

Last edited:
Myopinion, you mentioned influence on recruits while in the NBA. What aout recruits now. I'm sure top recruits would want to talk the the "face of the team" they are planning to join. If his advice to recruits is no more positive than his play and actions, our 2010 and 11 classes could be harmed. As a big WW fan, I have a hard time believing I said this, but it keeps popping up in my mind.

I really doubt that WW is that bent out of shape right now. That is one reason I would like to see a little more tolerance. These type discussions would bother me if I were a player.

Back