Would you trade Durant for Blake?

bocabull

Banned
Reaction score
And give up a future first rounder?

That is a deal that could probably get done with some throw ins to match the salaries.

Um … does anyone realize he just turned 20 on Sept. 29, making him younger than Mayo? That he's breaking every scoring benchmark by age? That he's been averaging 26 points, eight rebounds, 48% shooting, 85% from the line and 43% on threes since Thanksgiving? Go online and check out his ESPN.com game log. Do it now. I'll wait.

(Twiddling my thumbs.)

Got it? Now look at those point totals: 28, 25, 26, 26, 28, 26, 25 … You know in Jaws when Richard Dreyfuss calls the shark an "eating machine"? Durant is a scoring machine. He was put on this earth to collect points. We have never seen anyone quite like him before: a 6'9" forward with Plastic Man arms, 30-foot range and the ability to thrive in big moments. He has more career buzzer-beaters than LeBron. Trust me, it's true.

Know also that NBA players peak between ages 25 and 29. So what's Durant's realistic peak? Will he average 33 a game on percentages of 55-90-50? Will he average 36 ppg? Thirty-eight? Seriously, where does this go? Nobody's discussing that. Nobody's even acknowledging it. And that makes Kevin Durant totally, completely, unequivocally underrated. I can't think of five current players who are more fun to watch. I'm jealous of the Highjacker's fans. I am.

-bill simmons

Absolutely not. Not in a million years.

Durant is a proven player/guaranteed all star

Not to mention, basketball at any level is still a guards' game. If you have an All-Star guard, you don't trade him, even if it were known that Blake would be an All-Star big man.

Don't you guys agree that is what it would take to get him? a #1 for a #1.

But like you guys say I wouldn't do it because a bird in the hand ... you know.

Any team would have to make a ridiculously one sided trade to get the #1 pick from LA. They need a guy like Blake to be the face of the franchise. The coach/GM and president love him.

It probably would take Durant and two first round picks to get him away.

I think the Clippers would trade Blake for Durant close to straight up or at worst with a future #1.

So the Thunder would get Blake AND have the #3 pick this year by giving up Durant and a future #1.

We've beaten this scenario to death over the past couple of months, but here goes.

What about KD for the number one pick from LA without giving the #3 also? That means you trade KD for basically the chance to pick say, BG AND Thabeet or Rubio or Harden.

Before you say the Clips wouldn't go for it, remember...they ARE the Clips...:ez-roll:

EDIT: Oops, didn't see boca's post (I pretty much ignore them since the Wayman post)...

I'm not the biggest Bill Simmons fan in the world (way too much Boston), but I think it's hilarious he refers to the Thunder as the Bennett City Hijackers.

I wouldn't trade KD for Blake.

The Clips won't trade the #1...period.

If OKC was dumb enough to trade Durant for Blake, the Clippers would be wise to do so.

Durant is an unbelievable player, and in 2-3 years when OKC is in the playoffs the world will know it. He is in the "elite" class of players in the world.

Durant is an unbelievable OFFENSIVE player, and in 2-3 years when OKC is in the playoffs the world will know it. He is in the "elite" class of OFFENSIVE players in the world.

There, I fixed it for ya...:eek:

If OKC was dumb enough to trade Durant for Blake, the Clippers would be wise to do so.

Durant is an unbelievable player, and in 2-3 years when OKC is in the playoffs the world will know it. He is in the "elite" class of players in the world.

I think most of the world knows it already.

I agree with this. Unfortunately, I think Blake Griffin is in the same category; however, I don't think a team can take that risk. You have to keep the known commodity of Durant rather than speculate (and probably correctly) that Blake will be just as good (or even better). It is a shame that OKC did not get lucky. If they had gotten Blake Griffin with Durant, I think they are pretty close to a contender in a year or two.

I agree with this. Unfortunately, I think Blake Griffin is in the same category; however, I don't think a team can take that risk. You have to keep the known commodity of Durant rather than speculate (and probably correctly) that Blake will be just as good (or even better). It is a shame that OKC did not get lucky. If they had gotten Blake Griffin with Durant, I think they are pretty close to a contender in a year or two.

This is pretty much how I feel. The only difference between the "keep KD at all costs camp" and me is, I feel like KD will NEVER be a good defender and believe he will NEVER be the player most make him out to be BECAUSE of that. I could, of course, end up being wrong, but I heard a national radio guy say the same thing the other night (can't remember who it was)...

What the Thunder have to weigh is 2011. If they did trade Blake for Durant they are guaranteed to have Blake through 2013.

Durant becomes a free agent in 2011, the same year that Kobe's contract expires in LA. Jerry Buss has done this before. That is a huge risk.

I think Griffin at his peak is a top 3 power forward averaging 22/13 or so. But, I think Durant could average 30 points a game, and be the best offensive player in the NBA. And Durant's a lot closer to his peak than Griffin is at the moment.

Back