Would you trade Durant for Blake?

What the Thunder have to weigh is 2011. If they did trade Blake for Durant they are guaranteed to have Blake through 2013.

Durant becomes a free agent in 2011, the same year that Kobe's contract expires in LA. Jerry Buss has done this before. That is a huge risk.
Durant would only be a restricted free agent. The Thunder would surely match any offer.

The question is: Can he take less money?
If a player is a restricted free agent, other teams can give him offers. If he agrees to one, he signs an offer sheet. The original team has the right to match that offer and retain the player. You can't get around that unless the original team waives their rights to the player beforehand, in which case the original team can't re-sign him at all.

If a player is a restricted free agent, other teams can give him offers. If he agrees to one, he signs an offer sheet. The original team has the right to match that offer and retain the player. You can't get around that unless the original team waives their rights to the player beforehand, in which case the original team can't re-sign him at all.

Then it would be a hard sell to make the trade.

One question. Would anyone trade KD for Dwight Howard?

If Durant does not sign an extension he will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2010/2011 season.

The Thunder either get him signed to an extension in 2010 or he is a 100% free agent.

If Durant does not sign an extension he will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2010/2011 season.

The Thunder either get him signed to an extension in 2010 or he is a 100% free agent.

sigh...boca, I really was hoping you'd rebound from that awful Wayman thread...

You could not be more wrong about how it works. For KD to become an unrestricted free agent, he would have to accept the qualifying offer and play a fifth year at rookie scale. There is no way a max-deal player like Durant (let alone his agent) would lose $8 to $10 million and the security of a long term deal.

But what do I know...

Durant would be a restricted free agent after the 2010-2011 season. If he accepted a one-year qualifying offer in the summer of 2011, he would become an unrestricted free agent in 2012.

Look at this list of free agents: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-09-10

The players drafted in 2005 (i.e. Marvin Williams, Raymond Felton) are restricted free agents in summer 2009 (after playing four season). Durant, drafted in 2007, would be a restricted free agent in the summer of 2011.

I would trade Durant for Blake in a heartbeat. Throw in a first rounder... whatever. Sure traditionally it's not a smart decision but being that OKC is a new franchise to the City and this may be the only opportunity to get Blake here, I'd do it. Obviously you run a HUGE risk that Blake doesn't become the player Durant is however most can see that risk is not very plausible IMO. Blake will be a star and while Durant already is, he would never be to OKC what Blake is and would be if he were the face of the franchise. $$$

We've beaten this scenario to death over the past couple of months, but here goes.

What about KD for the number one pick from LA without giving the #3 also? That means you trade KD for basically the chance to pick say, BG AND Thabeet or Rubio or Harden.

Before you say the Clips wouldn't go for it, remember...they ARE the Clips...:ez-roll:

EDIT: Oops, didn't see boca's post (I pretty much ignore them since the Wayman post)...
I'm still leery of trading any known quantity for an unknown.

Durant is a known quantity - a superstar. Rubio/Thabeet/Griffin might be a star. Don't trade a known star for a might-be star.

Sure traditionally it's not a smart decision but being that OKC is a new franchise to the City and this may be the only opportunity to get Blake here, I'd do it.
It's still a business, and the risk/reward of that would be very high.

I would trade Durant for Blake in a heartbeat. Throw in a first rounder... whatever. Sure traditionally it's not a smart decision but being that OKC is a new franchise to the City and this may be the only opportunity to get Blake here, I'd do it. Obviously you run a HUGE risk that Blake doesn't become the player Durant is however most can see that risk is not very plausible IMO. Blake will be a star and while Durant already is, he would never be to OKC what Blake is and would be if he were the face of the franchise. $$$

Finally somebody that sees it exactly the way I do.

Get Blake here at any cost. Durant will never win me over like Blake already has as a college player. Plus, honestly, I'd rather have Blake straight up as a player. Yeah Durant will average more points and heck you don't need to sell me on how good he is. However, I think Blake's type of game will lead to more wins than Durant's type of game. I must admit, and maybe it is cause I'm a homer, but I am really, really high on Blake's pro potential. I don't just think he'll be a top 3 power forward or whatever, I think he'll be one of the the baddest m'f'in power forwards to ever play the game, period! I see a player with Dwight Howard body type and athleticism, that will be able to get alot of the same kind buckets Dwight gets, only he can also handle the rock, and make back to the basket moves. I see the whole package. Not to mention he has a warrior's work ethic. I think his rookie impact will be phenomenal.

Also, you guys can talk specifics about Durant's contract all you want, but I don't care what anybody says, I think Durant isn't on the Thunder 5 years from now, one way or another, the kid from D.C is gonna get out of Bricktown. Look, I love Oklahoma and live here, but our state is a joke to most West coast and East Coast kids. I don't care how happy Durant says he is, or any of you say he is, but I don't think we'll be able to keep him. Now, maybe even secretly Blake wants to experience life elsewhere, but I think the big picture is we have alot better chance of keeping an OKC kid around for the long haul to be the face of this franchise.

Furthermore, I was raised in LA and have always been a Laker fan, then moved to OKC and now support the Thunder, now Blake goes to the Clips! I have 3 favorite teams all in the same conference! And which one am I gonna watch. I really wanted Blake on the Thunder to consolidate my game watching. Next year is gonna be a mess.

Get Blake here at any cost. Durant will never win me over like Blake already has as a college player. Plus, honestly, I'd rather have Blake straight up as a player. Yeah Durant will average more points and heck you don't need to sell me on how good he is. However, I think Blake's type of game will lead to more wins than Durant's type of game.

The problem with your argument has already been pointed out. We're all HOPING Blake Griffin will be a franchise player. However, Kevin Durant already is and you never trade someone you already know is great for someone who might be great.

The best example I can give you is the Golden State Warriors trading a great player in Mitch Richmond to the Sacramento Kings for a potentially great rookie in Billy Owens. Well, Owens never became a great player. He was barely a good player and the Warriors took a bath on that trade. Apparently, the Warriors didn't learn from their mistake a dozen or so years earlier when they traded proven great Robert Parrish to the Celtics for the rights to a potentially greater talent in Joe Barry Carroll. JBC was a solid NBA player, but nowhere near what Robert Parrish was. I honestly think teams doing something this stupid are over.

The problem with your argument has already been pointed out. We're all HOPING Blake Griffin will be a franchise player. However, Kevin Durant already is and you never trade someone you already know is great for someone who might be great.

The best example I can give you is the Golden State Warriors trading a great player in Mitch Richmond to the Sacramento Kings for a potentially great rookie in Billy Owens. Well, Owens never became a great player. He was barely a good player and the Warriors took a bath on that trade. Apparently, the Warriors didn't learn from their mistake a dozen or so years earlier when they traded proven great Robert Parrish to the Celtics for the rights to a potentially greater talent in Joe Barry Carroll. JBC was a solid NBA player, but nowhere near what Robert Parrish was. I honestly think teams doing something this stupid are over.

Yeah, but it doesn't matter how great Durant currently is or will be cause he won't be on the Thunder in 5 years. So you take the chance, thats my opinion. I'll repeat, I don't care what anybody tells me including Durant himself, I don't buy that he enjoys playing here.

who says blake would want to be here long term? i've heard that he would like to go play ball in another region.

Last edited:
They might trade up to the no. 1 pick in the draft because theirs rumors that the clippers want Rubio more than Blake!Idk if I would trade Durant for Blake though.

I think the Clippers would trade Blake for Durant close to straight up or at worst with a future #1.

So the Thunder would get Blake AND have the #3 pick this year by giving up Durant and a future #1.

the thunder could get eric gordon and blake and extras for durant ..

you clearly don't understand how good durant is

Back