Wow!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will never support ANYTHING that that racist participates in.

I lump him, Chaney, and John Thompson together, and I hope all three lose every game they coach.

Odd that you make that statement and then lump 3 black coaches together.

Those dudes are legends. Nolan in my opinion is one of the most underrated coaches of all time. He's a better Xs and Os guy in my opinion than Thompson, Chaney, Boheim, Calhoun, and Sutton.

I think TU has turned this into a truly WOW post. I don't personally know Nolan, but I have relatives that consider Nolan a close friend. Nolan and Wayman were close friends. Nolan may have made statements, but he always had diversity on his teams and on his staff.

Last edited:
Odd that you make that statement and then lump 3 black coaches together.

Those dudes are legends. Nolan in my opinion is one of the most underrated coaches of all time. He's a better Xs and Os guy in my opinion than Thompson, Chaney, Boheim, Calhoun, and Sutton.

I think TU has turned this into a truly WOW post. I don't personally know Nolan, but I have relatives that consider Nolan a close friend. Nolan and Wayman were close friends. Nolan may have made statements, but he always had diversity on his teams and on his staff.

This partially summarizes my thoughts on Nolan: great coach who made a couple of mistakes at Arkansas. After all these years, he deserves to get on with his life.

I always liked John Chaney. What did he do wrong?

Chaney completely lost it and threatened to kill Calipari during a press conference after a Temple Umass game. He has also made some statements that are pretty questionable if I recall correctly. I personally am not a fan of Chaney.

In the 70s John Thompson had some white players on his team but the following article describes what most remember him for:

"It was during the 1980s that JT apparently stopped using white basketball players. He did recruit a few though (including Danny Ferry and Rex Chapman) but they went elsewhere. That was when the perception was created that JT was allegedly a racist who refused to utilize white players. He didn't have a single Caucasian player on scholarship from 1984 until the end of the 80s. During the early 1990s, JT had several Caucasian players on the roster, but most were benchwarmers and only Brian Kelly had a significant role. Afterwards, JT again stopped using Caucasian players and through most of the 1990s, there was not a single Caucasian player on Georgetown's basketball team (not even as a walk-on or benchwarmer)."

I remember him for winning a national championship...

The question isn't "was John Thompson a good coach". The question is, "was John Thompson a good coach who was also racist?". Many will say yes based upon what he did.

Darrell Royal has been called a racist because he didn't have black players at UT until after Barry started winning with them. Darrell's situation was different because he wanted to recruit black players but he was under pressure not to from the powers that be. He won three national championships but some still remember him for being a racist.

If a white coach is remembered as a racist for not having enough black players, it makes sense that a black coach that has no white players is also subject to the same criticism.

The question isn't "was John Thompson a good coach". The question is, "was John Thompson a good coach who was also racist?". Many will say yes based upon what he did.

Darrell Royal has been called a racist because he didn't have black players at UT until after Barry started winning with them. Darrell's situation was different because he wanted to recruit black players but he was under pressure not to from the powers that be. He won three national championships but some still remember him for being a racist.

If a white coach is remembered as a racist for not having enough black players, it makes sense that a black coach that has no white players is also subject to the same criticism.

Thompson hand picked a successor, Craid Eschrich who was caucasian.

Mike Stokes.
Bill Thomas.
Craig Esherick.
Mike MacDermott.
Jeff Bullis.
David Blue.
Terry Fenlon.
Emmet Fitzgerald.
David Dunn(transferred to Alabama).
Brian Kelly.
Vladimir Bosanac.
Mike Sabol(transferred to American).
Brendan Gaughan.

All white. All received basketball scholarships to Georgetown.

The controversial time in question, 1984 to 1990, The Hoyas were 161-38.
Both Danny Ferry and Rex Chapman received scholarship offers to Georgetown, and turned them down.

http://www.hoyabasketball.com/rosters/bb-recruits.htm

I don't know what's in Darrell Royal's heart to call him a racist and neither do I know what's in Thompson's heart.

I do know that One of the most celebrated coaches of All time openly told a black player that he didn't deserve to be in the SEC and once vowed that a negro player would never where a UK jersey is reknown aas a legend and Awards and Arenas are named after him. The winningest coach in basketball once called his star player (Isaiah Thomas) the N word, but he has never considered a racist. But we consider Thompson, Chaney, and Nolan racist?

I am in no way defending what Nolan did. He made some very insensitive racist references, but I do realize the upbringing that he had in a racist El Paso Texas and the racism that he had to endure being one of the Only major D1 black coaches in the south. Bruce Pearl made statements that I think were in the range of racially insensitive. Now do I think he is a racist or reverse racist? No. He just used a bad choice of words.

Alot of my "reasons" for feeling like I do are posted above. There are other "instances" as well. One of the biggest reasons though, was when those three coaches publically stated that the NCAA was racially biased, and that college entrance exams were racially biased. Those three coaches were behind ALOT of public comments about that, and I believe at one time they had talked about banding together and either suing the NCAA, or starting some kind of petition to lower standards for black athletes.

Then like I said, there are the other things posted in this thread. There is some evidence that at times, they all "preferred" to recruit black athletes over white ones. Would love to know the white/black player ratio at Temple as well.

No. These are not analogous at all. One is apparently accused by some of actively fighting integration of his football team in the midst of the civil rights era, the other of not having any white basketball players during the 1980s, even though he did offer scholarships to some. The circumstances are simply different.

I am not saying Darrell Royal is has a racist bone in his body. Defend him on that matter all you would like. I wasn't around and do not know the details. But if you think those accusations are unfair, it is flat-out bizarre that you are jumping in here to insinuate John Thompson is a racist for the exact same reason.

No. These are not analogous at all. One is apparently accused by some of actively fighting integration of his football team in the midst of the civil rights era, the other of not having any white basketball players during the 1980s, even though he did offer scholarships to some. The circumstances are simply different.

I am not saying Darrell Royal is has a racist bone in his body. Defend him on that matter all you would like. I wasn't around and do not know the details. But if you think those accusations are unfair, it is flat-out bizarre that you are jumping in here to insinuate John Thompson is a racist for the exact same reason.

I don't know that Thompson is/was a racist. I am just passing along information that many believe his actions suggest that he was. Many think that actions speak louder than words. If a coach acts like a racist (i.e. goes for years without having black players (just like Royal and Thompson), some will conclude they probably are racists. Obviously, that is not always true but that is what many will believe just the same.

I am completely dumbfounded that people think a white football coach (with a what? 100 member roster) fighting integration during the civil rights era is the same thing as a black basketball coach not having a white player on his (what? 15 man roster) during the 1980s. Even though he did try to get at least two white players on his team. Yeah, that's the exact same.

I am completely dumbfounded that people think a white football coach (with a what? 100 member roster) fighting integration during the civil rights era is the same thing as a black basketball coach not having a white player on his (what? 15 man roster) during the 1980s. Even though he did try to get at least two white players on his team. Yeah, that's the exact same.
If you don't think that either was a racist and I haven't said that I think either is a racist, what difference does it make where you accept the analogy or not?

Because the equivalence you have weirdly introduced to this discussion is absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back