WW is OU's Allen Iverson

buttermaker1

Reaction score
Scores at will when he wants to, doesn't try to play D, bad attitude and lack of D rubs off on his teammates, perfect fit for the NBA.

Allen Iverson pours his guts out there on the court, Willie doesnt.

If this level of effort continues WW may be back for a third year. He is killing his draft status and costing himself a lot of money.

Allen I is one of my favorite players of all time. Nobody leaves more on the court than Iverson. I've never heard a coach or teammate question his hardwork in games, love or passion for the game. Sorry, bad comparison.

This is starting to get clownlike. The dude is just a basketball player, he can't carry a team to a win. Every mistake is not his fault. He's not the force that Blake Griffin was. We can't blame this guy for every loss. Yeah he hasn't done everything right this year, but he hasn't done everything wrong. He actually had a decent game yesterday on both ends of the court.

I agree with DM. The expecations placed on WW during the offseason were simply too great. Everyone was expecting him to carry the team, be a phenom and dominate anyone and everyone he faced. Obviously, that has not happened but he has not had a bad year so far. It's been a huge adjustment being the face of the program and being expected to carry the same load as BG. He definitely needs to show a more consistent effort and improve his attitude, there is no doubt about that. But WW is not the sole reason that the team is having some troubles. The lack of experience, lack of defensive intensity and individual approach is what is troubling this team.

If you ever watched AI in his prime he may be the hardest worker in NBA history. Yes you get the off the stuff court like "Practice" and other stuff but on the court he played hard as he can both ways. There's not many 6-0 guys in NBA history as good as he was.

This is starting to get clownlike. The dude is just a basketball player, he can't carry a team to a win. Every mistake is not his fault. He's not the force that Blake Griffin was. We can't blame this guy for every loss. Yeah he hasn't done everything right this year, but he hasn't done everything wrong. He actually had a decent game yesterday on both ends of the court.

Every game I watched, WW always had stupid turnovers which killed momentum. Early in the second half we were working hard to trim the lead only to see WW laidascially commited turnovers killing any momentum we had. The guy doesn't put much effort on the defensive end either. If I am a GM of a NBA team, I don't want to spend any money on such a guy.

I'm sorry DM, but WW did not have a decent game defensively yesterday. Other than two small stretches (one was after the delay) of decent defense, he was dreadful. He is the worst overall defender on our team. He is even worse than TMG, Ryan Wright, and Pledger.

I agree with you that you can't blame him for everything that is wrong with this squad, and that he is certainly not the force that Blake is/was, but my goodness, the guy has so much to lose and supposedly this huge gamer and competitor and he is killing this team. Don't you see? The other guys follow his lead. They would all work harder if he worked harder. They would whine less if he whined less. They would care more if he cared more. etc...

I don't think it is too much to ask as a fan for a guy to get out there and bust his butt on defense. He even had ten days to think about it, and he stil didn't get it done. Sad.

Last edited:
Willie is playing well on offense. He is not playing well on defense but he isn't the only one by a long shot. There is plenty of blame to go around.

Willie is playing well on offense. He is not playing well on defense but he isn't the only one by a long shot. There is plenty of blame to go around.

The biggest difference is that Willie has the ability to be a really good defender on the perimeter and in transition. He is strong, laterally quick, and can elevate. His lack of defense is based soley on effort. You can't say the same regarding other players that are struggling (Ryan Wright, Steven Pledger, and TMG).

The biggest difference is that Willie has the ability to be a really good defender on the perimeter and in transition. He is strong, laterally quick, and can elevate. His lack of defense is based soley on effort. You can't say the same regarding other players that are struggling (Ryan Wright, Steven Pledger, and TMG).
If Wright, Pledger, and TMG don't have the physical talent to play solid defense at this level, they shouldn't be on the floor. Personally, I think they have the athletic talent to play good defense.

It would be nice to see if some of the players or perhaps the home crowd could call him out publically to see if it could perhaps light a fire in his pilot light.

All of our players have the ablity. They just have no clue how to be a college basketball team. That's what defense is about. You can't have one player play defense then have the rest of the team play better defense.

It is one thing not to know how to play defense or to play as a team.

It is quite another not to care.

At this point the way the Oklahoma media and fans have taken a crap on WW he should just bide his time this season and move on to greener pastures.

And of course advise other top recruits to stay away.

At this point the way the Oklahoma media and fans have taken a crap on WW he should just bide his time this season and move on to greener pastures.

If he is unwilling to lead a team, why would he be able to lead recruits?

And what suggests that this hasn't already occured?

Back