1st Preseason game OU vs Rogers St 7pm CST

That was everything I could have hoped for in an opening exhibition, given our circumstances--a new coaching staff, a slew of new players. The passing was sharp, very little sloppiness, the shooting was off the charts, the defense was good (with a few lapses). The freshmen contributed and didn't really look like freshmen; the level of play didn't really fall off when they were in the game (though, of course, the opposition has to be considered). Even Big Rick looked like he belonged.

Very entertaining game, and I'm looking foward to next Tuesday.

Cj noland is as thick as you think plus another Alston mason.

Big Rick looks like a physically gifted player that could help in the post. Unfortunately, it hasn’t materialized and I’m not sure it ever will.

Lot more people there than I thought there would be.

Hope it keeps building!

Encouraging student presence for sure. Getting down to 9 seems very hard unless his plans are to swap 8,9 with 10,11 game to game for the 1st half of November or even longer.

Encouraging student presence for sure. Getting down to 9 seems very hard unless his plans are to swap 8,9 with 10,11 game to game for the 1st half of November or even longer.

I think every season for the past decade, the board overreacts to how deep we are based on the first couple games against bad opponents. I don’t deny that we had a lot of bench guys play very well last night, but I don’t think it’ll be tough to get down to nine guys once we start playing legitimate competition.

I think every season for the past decade, the board overreacts to how deep we are based on the first couple games against bad opponents. I don’t deny that we had a lot of bench guys play very well last night, but I don’t think it’ll be tough to get down to nine guys once we start playing legitimate competition.

i do think that Cortes played some really good min and he may give Mason Alston a run for the 10th stop min ..

the top 9 guys is pretty set i think

Do you know of any reason why? I might’ve missed it, but haven’t seen anything about where he was at.

Someone tweeted that he also missed the tipoff banquet due to a family matter. I initially assumed maybe it was discipline for the offseason incident but think he would have been on the bench if that was the case. And he certainly wouldn’t be banished from the banquet for a disciplinary matter.

I think umoja gibson is going to benefit the most from Moser's structured offense.. i think he will get a lot more shots from 3. Would not be surprised if he leads us in scoring but i imagine he'll be atleast top 3

so...comparing to last yrs team...

better inside rotation

the younger groves - manek...better? same? worse? (ya just after one game I know)

guards - deeper than last yr - do we have or NEED that one guy (AR) that can take over if needed?

In some ways the way this went made it hard to evaluate... Going 18-27 from 3 is such a statistical outlier that it hides so much from evaluation.

That being said... I watched the highlights and I really liked Gibson and Groves, obviously. Outside of the shooting, a few notes:

Only 4 offensive rebounds, but when you don't miss that number is going to be low.

25 assists to 9 turnovers. Take that all day.

Only 2 blocked shots... but this team doesn't have any shot blockers so I don't think that will be a strength.

Chargois is going to be a really good support player this year... 6 points, 6 rebounds (led team), and 5 assists (led team), 1 block (led team) in 12 minutes. I still think he should start but perhaps he makes more sense as a 6th man to come in for Groves and Hill... because if you bring Hill off the bench you will lose all your size/production in the 2nd unit. Either way, he needs 25 minutes a game.

I think umoja gibson is going to benefit the most from Moser's structured offense.. i think he will get a lot more shots from 3. Would not be surprised if he leads us in scoring but i imagine he'll be atleast top 3

The key word for Moser’s offense is it’s “structured.” I was very impressed with the team’s spacing and the fact that our top ten or so players knew almost instinctively where the open shots were going to be. Our passing was crisp and on target most of the time.

I realize we’re not going to see 66% shooting from deep in every game, especially against better competition. But, this team is definitely not void of good shooters, and that includes two of our three freshmen. CJ and Mason are going to play their first season. Bijan might, too. They all proved they belong, at least to me.

Chargois is going to be a really good support player this year... 6 points, 6 rebounds (led team), and 5 assists (led team), 1 block (led team) in 12 minutes. I still think he should start but perhaps he makes more sense as a 6th man to come in for Groves and Hill... because if you bring Hill off the bench you will lose all your size/production in the 2nd unit. Either way, he needs 25 minutes a game.

Chargois played all of his min at the 5 last night

That is true, whats different is upperclassmen versus a couple of high talent 1st year players. That usually works out as to who is 6,7 and 8,9, not this time.

I felt he was better than Jordan, by a little ways actually.

I think you'll see the difference when they have to guard good point guards. That's where Goldwire will show he's better imo.

5/4... whatever. He and Groves can be on the floor at the same time because Chargois can shoot, pass, and move.

not with how OU was switching 4 spots last night ..

you can play only what you can guard ..

and again they were on the floor 0 min together last night ..

not with how OU was switching 4 spots last night ..

you can play only what you can guard ..

and again they were on the floor 0 min together last night ..

Yes most teams switch 1-4. Moser's teams fight harder to get through, but you can't get through everything.

Back