2012 recruiting possibilities

Sam

Reaction score
Right now it looks like OU will have 3 open ships to use for the class of 2012.

This is OU's roster right now for 2012.

Point Guards
Senior Sam Grooms
Senior Carl Blair

Shooting Guards
Senior Steven Pledger
Junior Cal Newell

Small Forwards
Junior Cam Clark
Junior Tyler Neal

Bigs
Senior Roe Osby
Senior Andrew Fitzgerald
Senior Casey Arent
Junior Amath M'Baye

I find it doubtful that OU will be bring in a top impact player this class as freshman considering the expected returning experience and M'baye becoming eligible.

Now a lot can happen between now and then but I expect the 2012 class to bring in freshmen who will provide depth and get used to the program and be ready to contribute as sophomores or possibly even redshirt freshmen.

One thing about 2012 is that point guards are weak nation wide, I routinely see the national recruiting guys comment on the lack of quality point guards.

So I think that will make OU go after Bigs and Guards. I would expect at least one big and most likely two guards. At least that is how I look at it, if OU can get multiple big guys to come they'll take them but I'm not sure if they will be able to.

So for any recruiting geeks like me, here are some of the best available kids in Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas who you could hear a lot more about this summer.

Oklahoma
Combo Guard, 6'1 Nino Jackson, Ardmore
Most talented player in the state with his quickness and hops but has his baggage. Starting to hear rumors that he will be headed to Findley Prep in Las Vegas for his Senior year.

Shooting Guard, 6'3 Quinton Paras, Lawton MacArthur
A week ago at this time I wouldn't think he would be OU's radar but the more I watch of him, the more I like. He's a strong guard who can finish with both hands in the paint, and can be a good defender when he wants to be.

Shooting Guard, 6'3 James Woodard, Edmond Memorial
Athletic guard that is crafty at finishing in the lane and a streaky shooter from deep. Needs to get stronger and I'm not sure if he is High Major level right now. Older brother of 2013 PG Jordan Woodard.

Power Forward, 6'8 Matt Christansen, Bishop McGuiness
Strong, fundamental big man. Works hard in the paint and is starting to show off good foot work down low. I think he might fit in better at a mid major but he will get the chance to improve a lot this summer as the primary big on Athletes First.

Center, 6'9 Dre Wright, Lawton Eisenhower
Skilled face up big still recovering form a broken patella bone. SMU and Tulsa are starting to get heavily involved in his recruitment but if he keeps recovering and adds strength he could end up higher than a Tulsa type based on his potential.

Texas
Shooting Guard, 6'3 Marcus Smart, Flower Mound Marcus
The ultimate competitor and tough guy at the two/three spot. He may not be as naturally gifted as other top guards but there are few in the nation who will outwork him.

Center, 6'10 Prince Ibeh, Garland Naman Forest
I saw him play once way back in 2009 and wasn't too impressed but he's grown and become more active from what I read last summer and is a top 150 kid according to rivals.

Center, 6'9 Shaq Cleare, The Village in Houston
Never seen him play but he is a big (280 as well) kid that is a top 50 nation wide out of Houston.

Shooting Guard, 6'2 Jordan Mason, Ennis
Visited last September, supposed to be a good scorer and one of the top 10 kids or so in Texas.

Shooting Guard, 6'2 Jelon Hornbeak, Arlington Grace Prep
Everytime I've saw him play with Grace Prep this past winter he never impressed me more than being a really good athlete but he's a top 75 kid nation wide.

Combo Guard, 6'1 J-Mychal Reese, Bryan

Great scorer who the previous staff had shown a lot of interest. Supposedly favors Kansas though.

Kansas
Power Forward, 6'8 Perry Ellis, Wichita Heights
5 star kid, still listing OU and OU is still recruiting him. Would be a great get as even as people have caught up with him in height he has kept working hard to make his game more versatile.

Combo Forward, 6'7 Gavin Thurman, Wichita Heights
Supposedly just moved to Heights after playing at Wichita Southeast and will be Ellis' teammate. Very good scorer who visited OU last September, and that UNLV recruited as well.

Center, 6'11 Willie Cauley, Olathe Northwest
Long and active defensively center who is gaining a lot of pub this summer for his defensive abilities. Still has a ways to go on offense from what I've read.

The out of state legacy option
Small Forward, 6'7 Jerami Grant, Dematha Catholic in Washington
The son of Harvey Grant who visited back in September. Based on what I've read he's more athletic then skilled at this point but his jumper is getting better based on reports. I hope to watch him next week in Dallas.

Center, 6'11 Willie Cauley, Olathe Northwest
Long and active defensively center who is gaining a lot of pub this summer for his defensive abilities. Still has a ways to go on offense from

Willie is from my hometown and my folks went and watched him play against my old high school, and according to my dad, Cauley was impressive on Offense at times, but lacked hustle and energy on defense. Now this is my just one man's opinion and then again he is playing against Kansas High School talent and not the AAU level

I am excited to see how Perry and Gavin play together Heights should be a great team again this next year.

I hope they don't go after Matt Christiansen, he is a stiff and not very skilled. He has very little upside IMHO.

Apparently Reese has a connection on our staff... he's tops on my wish list along with Jerami Grant.

Apparently Reese has a connection on our staff... he's tops on my wish list along with Jerami Grant.

Grant, Reese, and Smart would all be wonderful 2012 additions in my book.

bb,

How has the new OU staff done with recruiting Perry thus far? I really hope he doesn't go to KU because (like Zach Peters) I just don't feel like he will see much floor time.

1.) Nino Jackson
2.) Shabazz Muhammed - Has offers from OU and UNLV, from Las Vegas. #1 shooting guard recruit in the nation. Offers from everyone.
3.) Some 7'0'' shot blocker who can come in and redshirt and get better. OU will be loaded in the post the next two years with Osby, Fitz, Arent, Amath. Go get a Jerome Jordan, Jordan Henriquez, etc.

Grant, Reese, and Smart would all be wonderful 2012 additions in my book.

bb,

How has the new OU staff done with recruiting Perry thus far? I really hope he doesn't go to KU because (like Zach Peters) I just don't feel like he will see much floor time.

Not really impressed with Smart's game. What do you like about him?

My dream signing list for 2012:

Willie Cauley = tall athletic 4/5
Jerami Grant = athletic wing
J. Reese = point

If we have any more schollies than this, then I would like to see lon get a 2/3 that can shoot the 3.

Why wouldn't we sign impact freshmen?

OU will be returning everyone but C.J. Washington, so there will not be many minutest to go around with so many upper class men on the roster.

OU will be returning everyone but C.J. Washington, so there will not be many minutest to go around with so many upper class men on the roster.

Top recruits don't think like this, only marginal recruits do. Top recruits are attracted to places with talented rosters where they can win.

Top recruits don't think like this, only marginal recruits do. Top recruits are attracted to places with talented rosters where they can win.

Top recruits also want to play now, its a mixture of being on a good team and getting quick PT.

Also I feel like we have a different definition of impact freshman, I think OU is on some good ones and they will get some quality players in 2012 but I just don't see many having that big of minutes.

Experience is a big thing in college basketball and with some many experienced players returning I dont see many freshmen geting a ton of minuts in 2012.

Look at this roster, at point there will be two seniors in Grooms and Blair. Then at shooting guard there will be a senior in Pledger and a junior in Newell. At the three spot Clark should be an entrenched junior with the possibility of Neal and Osby playing there as well. In the post there are seniors in Fitz, Osby, Arent and a junior in Neal.

I just don't believe unless OU signs an elite true one and done type that any freshman will have a huge impact in 2012.

Top recruits also want to play now, its a mixture of being on a good team and getting quick PT.

Also I feel like we have a different definition of impact freshman, I think OU is on some good ones and they will get some quality players in 2012 but I just don't see many having that big of minutes.

Experience is a big thing in college basketball and with some many experienced players returning I dont see many freshmen geting a ton of minuts in 2012.

Look at this roster, at point there will be two seniors in Grooms and Blair. Then at shooting guard there will be a senior in Pledger and a junior in Newell. At the three spot Clark should be an entrenched junior with the possibility of Neal and Osby playing there as well. In the post there are seniors in Fitz, Osby, Arent and a junior in Neal.

I just don't believe unless OU signs an elite true one and done type that any freshman will have a huge impact in 2012.
I think that is a very very good summation. "IF" one assumes that every player on the current roster finishes their college careers at Oklahoma. I think that is likely that won't be the case. All the players are on one year 'ships. I wouldn't feel any obligation to carry on with a Capel recruit if I found a better one. Would you?

Not really impressed with Smart's game. What do you like about him?

The dude is relentless. Never takes plays off at either end of the floor. Add to that his basketball abilities as a slasher, finisher and play-maker, and you will see why I like him so much.

He is just a guy that you want to have on your team.

The new staff is after a lot of players in 2012. Willie Cauley, 6'10 center, out of Kansas City may be their top target. Perry Ellis is also a player that they will continue to recruit hard by the staff. The fact that all three assistants have Kansas ties may put them in better shape with Ellis.

J-Mycal Reese, the highly rated pg from the Houston area, will be their top point guard target in my opinion. I also wouldn't be surprised if assistant coach Lew Hill targeted a pg from New York like Kareem Canty. George Niang a 6'6 power forward from the Boston area is a crafty post player that will be monitored for an offer by the coaching staff.

Regionally they will recruit the best in Texas. The developing 6'11 center,Prince Ibeh out of Dallas will be high on the radar. Also Flower Mound product Marcus Smart and Phil Forte will be high on the Sooner radar.

Look for OU to get in on Archie Goodwin, a 6'4 wing out of Arkansas. One under the radar name that stock will rise over the next few months is Jordan Mason, a 6'3 scorer out of Enis Texas. OUHoops covered him earlier in 2010.

In Oklahoma Nino Jackson is still on the radar and if OU continues to pursue him, their chances may improve as he is not as solid on KU as he was. One of Nino's AAU coaches told me yesterday that "OU shouldn't give up on Nino."

Probably the biggest name to watch instate is James Woodard. The 6'3 athletic wing from Edmond is still developing, but his high ceiling and high character will be a huge plus for him as he is evaluated over the next few months.

Last edited:
Probably the biggest name to watch instate is James Woodard. The 6'3 athletic wing from Edmond is still developing, but his high ceiling and high character will be a huge plus for him as he is evaluated over the next few months.

Rewatching the stuff I shot this weekend as I edit up a best of the EYBL for tonight and James is standing out. Doing a lot of the little things and while his brother Jordan had the headlining weekend, he was sneaky good.

Back