2017 recruiting

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
I will confess that I have not been near the recruitnik that I once was for probably two reasons:

1) OU has been pretty down nationally and recruiting just hasn't been as much fun since the Tiny, Willie, TMG days.

2) Kruger and company are great at identifying the types of kids that fit the system and I have a high level of trust in them to get the guys that want to be Sooners.

That being said,

Who are the main OU targets that we know of for 2017? What are the main needs? PG seems like a definite need.

Thanks and I am going to try and keep up better with it again.

So far we have:

Brady Manek 6-7 SF committed

Trae Young is recruiting target 1, 2, and 3.

Possibly 4, 5, and 6...
G
R.J. Nembhard
Jay Jay 'J.J.' Chandler
Chris Giles
Mitchell Ballock

4/5's
Isiah Jasey
Jarred Vanderbilt

Mentioned in other threads but I think we take 2 guards and manek.

Theo John PF/C still not in play??

He is, but i don't know specifics but maybe just a change in recruiting. Maybe staff excited about where the current bigs which are fairly young still are developing. Know they will be back for 2 years, so it gives you time to get the guards you want in this class.

Im just guessing on this one. He was dang close to pulling the trigger 2 months ago, now other officials have been setup. Makes me think something changed.

He is, but i don't know specifics but maybe just a change in recruiting. Maybe staff excited about where the current bigs which are fairly young still are developing. Know they will be back for 2 years, so it gives you time to get the guards you want in this class.

Im just guessing on this one. He was dang close to pulling the trigger 2 months ago, now other officials have been setup. Makes me think something changed.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Officials with Marquette, Cal and Purdue in the next couple of months, seems to suggest that the attraction to OU (or it could be and likely is the other way around) has changed since he visited in April. I'm sure the Gophers are still in play as well.

I think BCSooners may be right about a shift in OU's focus with players like Doolittle, Manek and perhaps a couple of others showing so much potential. We may be at a point in our recruiting where it's Trae Young or the next best option and calling it quits on the 2017 class. That's pure conjecture on my part.

I think that we can only sign 2.
Trae and an athletic big ... at least 6' 8"

I think that we can only sign 2.
Trae and an athletic big ... at least 6' 8"

Someone will probably transfer after this year, it happens every year. Not sure who that would be at this time, but this time last year we didn't see us losing Manyang, and then Gaining and Losing Grandstaff

Last night on a Sooner Scoop chat, the question was asked who would be the next hoops commit. The scoop mod who has written several great hoops articles recently gave his guess. His answer? Theo John.

Back