2025 Recruiting Thread

How does Fears rank in your metric you used to value players?
I, unfortunately, have not built anything out to really evaluate HS talent. If I used the same one I do for the portal stuff, there is no way I would trust the output.

Something I would need to look into to for sure. I have a buddy who does something similar with HS football stuff, so maybe I can borrow some ideas/collab.

Lusk says the kid is going to take a few visits after peach jam then decide. Armon Gates is close with his dad, and Porter also recruited him to Illinois State back in the day. Says OU will be tough to beat but Providence could.

Lusk says the kid is going to take a few visits after peach jam then decide. Armon Gates is close with his dad, and Porter also recruited him to Illinois State back in the day. Says OU will be tough to beat but Providence could.
Now says Providence isn’t going to get involved, and doubles down that OU is going to be hard to beat.

I don’t like that. Was hoping for a smash and grab kind of recruitment.

Haven't looked at the board lately so wonder how many scholarships are available for the '25 class?

I thought we were full? Will be interesting to see what happens with that.
With NIL, pretty easy to get a "walk-on" $20-30K that would be equal to a scholarship. I would think as long as they are under the 15 players, even with already having 13 scholarships committed (if Wague does show up), they could still take another player using NIL instead of scholarship money.

And if it is someone as highly ranked/recruited as Fears and his potential, you find a way to make it work.

Jeremiah Fears shocked Illinois fans last week after announcing he would be decommitting from the program. The 6-foot-2 four-star point guard and Joliet, Illinois native had been committed to the Illini since January.

The rising senior out of AZ Compass Prep originally chose Illinois over a final group of Providence, Kansas, Ole Miss, and Michigan.

So, what’s the latest recruiting intel on Jeremiah Fears since his decommitment? Which programs are interested and where do things stand with everything? Let’s dive in.

The latest on Jeremiah Fears​

Currently a member of the 2025 class, sources have said that Fears plans to reclass and join the 2024 class and enroll in college following the EYBL Peach Jam (barring any last minute changes).

So, which programs are interested in the No. 34 overall player in the nation?

Oklahoma was the first program tied to Fears following his decision to reopen his recruitment. Sources said the Sooners came out of the gates with strong interest in the elite point guard and have the playing time and role that Fears would want as an incoming freshman. OU is also joining the SEC, a league that fits his style of play. In speaking with sources, Oklahoma is a team to monitor in this recruitment.

Fears has also garned interest from several other college programs. Just hours after announcing his decommitment, Fears tweeted he’d received a call from the University of Kentucky. In speaking with sources, I do not believe the Wildcats will make a strong push at this time.

Fears also recently announced an offer from USC. The Trojans initially made a significant push for the talented guard, however, are now likely moving on, according to a source.

Providence was another program tied to him prior to his commitment to Illinois, however, the Friars aren’t currently expected to make a move here, sources say.

Arizona State is yet another school with interest in Fears. The Sun Devils campus is just right down the road from his AZ Compass High School and ASU has momentum on the recruiting trail after making huge splashes with Five-Star Jayden Quaintance and top-25 recruit Joson Sanon.

On3 will continue to monitor this recruitment. I currently do not expect a decision to come until after EYBL Peach Jam.

Fears Scouting Report​

“Jeremiah Fears is a compact and confident guard. He plays with a lot of burst, on both ends of the floor. Fears has a confident handle and uses his burst to get to his spots in the half court. He plays balanced with an ability to rise up and knock down shots at each level. When playing on the ball, he needs to work on his overall floor vision. He is more of a score first guard than a point guard, and as a result a lot of his shot attempts are contested mid-range shots. Fears is a good on ball defender at the point of attack. Some could question the size. He needs to continue working on his efficiency. There is an undeniable competitive fire in there. Fears is the younger brother of Michigan State guard Jeremy Fears.” – On3’s Jamie Shaw

Technically that still belongs in here (2025). All I can say is there is a spot for him. Can't tell you how yet but they can make it work.
Would sure be nice to finally close on a target who is also getting interest from plenty of big name schools. Recent history makes me worry that the longer he takes to decide, the worse our chances get.

Jeremiah Fears shocked Illinois fans last week after announcing he would be decommitting from the program. The 6-foot-2 four-star point guard and Joliet, Illinois native had been committed to the Illini since January.

The rising senior out of AZ Compass Prep originally chose Illinois over a final group of Providence, Kansas, Ole Miss, and Michigan.

So, what’s the latest recruiting intel on Jeremiah Fears since his decommitment? Which programs are interested and where do things stand with everything? Let’s dive in.

The latest on Jeremiah Fears​

Currently a member of the 2025 class, sources have said that Fears plans to reclass and join the 2024 class and enroll in college following the EYBL Peach Jam (barring any last minute changes).

So, which programs are interested in the No. 34 overall player in the nation?

Oklahoma was the first program tied to Fears following his decision to reopen his recruitment. Sources said the Sooners came out of the gates with strong interest in the elite point guard and have the playing time and role that Fears would want as an incoming freshman. OU is also joining the SEC, a league that fits his style of play. In speaking with sources, Oklahoma is a team to monitor in this recruitment.

Fears has also garned interest from several other college programs. Just hours after announcing his decommitment, Fears tweeted he’d received a call from the University of Kentucky. In speaking with sources, I do not believe the Wildcats will make a strong push at this time.

Fears also recently announced an offer from USC. The Trojans initially made a significant push for the talented guard, however, are now likely moving on, according to a source.

Providence was another program tied to him prior to his commitment to Illinois, however, the Friars aren’t currently expected to make a move here, sources say.

Arizona State is yet another school with interest in Fears. The Sun Devils campus is just right down the road from his AZ Compass High School and ASU has momentum on the recruiting trail after making huge splashes with Five-Star Jayden Quaintance and top-25 recruit Joson Sanon.

On3 will continue to monitor this recruitment. I currently do not expect a decision to come until after EYBL Peach Jam.

Fears Scouting Report​

“Jeremiah Fears is a compact and confident guard. He plays with a lot of burst, on both ends of the floor. Fears has a confident handle and uses his burst to get to his spots in the half court. He plays balanced with an ability to rise up and knock down shots at each level. When playing on the ball, he needs to work on his overall floor vision. He is more of a score first guard than a point guard, and as a result a lot of his shot attempts are contested mid-range shots. Fears is a good on ball defender at the point of attack. Some could question the size. He needs to continue working on his efficiency. There is an undeniable competitive fire in there. Fears is the younger brother of Michigan State guard Jeremy Fears.” – On3’s Jamie Shaw
simply put:

Kentucky - moved on
Providence - Moved on
USC - moved on

ASU vs. OU

You're move Porter

Back