3-4 year players

p230

Reaction score
Given our current state of upper classmen how important do you guys/gals think recruiting players that will stay 3-4 years? By this I mean some one who can average say 10 minutes of productive work per game. We love the guys like Blake I am begining to think that experience may be more important than super stars. I honestly believe Willie would greatly benefit from another year but will certainly understand if he goes.

I think the key to winning NCAA championships is getting the 5 star players that stay around 3 years....i.e. damion james type players (4-5 stars)

But I really think that if we sign terrance jones that completely changes the dynamic of our team...then we will be a huge force because we can play the lineup capel wants while loosing no rebounding or defense....

Given our current state of upper classmen how important do you guys/gals think recruiting players that will stay 3-4 years? By this I mean some one who can average say 10 minutes of productive work per game. We love the guys like Blake I am begining to think that experience may be more important than super stars. I honestly believe Willie would greatly benefit from another year but will certainly understand if he goes.

It is absolutely important. Look at all the good teams out there. Yes they have their superstars, and in alot of cases, those stars are young. But they typically have some very good roll players that are upperclassmen. Guys that know how to work hard. Guys that do the little things. I don't think we have enough of those guys, and outside of Pledger and Fitz (and the jury is still out on them), every secondary player Capel has recruited has been a failure in some way.

Guys that are 3-4 year players are the core of your program and define its success. You can mix in some one and dones or early entries, but ultimately your guys like Pledger, TMG, etc. will be the catalysts to get you where you need to go.

Without a doubt we need some good talented and hard workers who stay 3-4 years.
If you look at the recent elite teams they traditionally have a good balance between young super stars and the veterans.
Look at Texas and Kansas this year.
North Carolina last year, etc.
Even us last year, something that I believe has been overlooked was that outside of Blake and Willie (2 top tier talents) everybody else in the starting lineup had been in the program at least 3 years (Taylor, Austin and Tony).

Guys that are 3-4 year players are the core of your program and define its success. You can mix in some one and dones or early entries, but ultimately your guys like Pledger, TMG, etc. will be the catalysts to get you where you need to go.

Very well put.

We aren't UK, KU, Duke, or NC. We aren't recruiting on that level.

As such, what we need are the core kids, that will be around, to be very good. Those kids need to be good enough, alone, to make the Dance. Then you start mixing in the "great" recruits. Those are the kids that are either going to push you to the Elite 8 level, or if good enough, to the championship caliber level.

Without the base of core kids, it doesn't really matter what kind of stars you bring in, most of the time.

Thanks for the input. Those observations pretty much match mine.

You also need experienced guys who are hard workers to set the tone for the younger guys coming in.

Almost all programs need upperclassmen that contribute. More than 2 freshmen in your top 7 players is rolling the dice. Freshmen should learn to fit into the existing system and earn pt. Here is a grand idea, Redshirt one player a year. Guys like Tony, Cade, Longar and Taylor did nothing as frosh compared to getting them back for a 5th year when they really get it.

Back