And this is why we lost...

Fans didn’t even go see Griffin or Hield, so not sure why it would start now

I did. I used my season tickets for over 30 years. Almost never missed a home game. Almost never missed a trip to the conference tournament. Made many trips to NCAA tournament games. I was an OU BASKETBALL "fan in the stands." A rare animal.

It was a difficult decision to drop my season tickets two years ago. In hindsight, it was the correct decision .. for me. This crap is hard enough to watch on TV.

The game turned in the 2nd half when Lon put in Calixte and Freeman. From that point forward we trailed the entire time, if I'm not mistaken.

100 on this - LK's substitution patterns have baffled me all year. Manek and Doo should not have left the floor in the 2nd half. If they are tired, use TO's to give them rest. Kelvin was a master at this and Billy just had his guys in incredible shape.

I think LK plays too many people at times.

I don't know if you can find + / - for college games, but I would love to see what OU was without Doo and Manek.

I just don't see what you see with respect to Doo. I'll throw this out to the entre board because I think it is a good debate as long as we can avoid getting nasty or personal -- who on our current team, other than JB, do you consider to be a better ball handler than Doo? I cringe every time one of our other guards leads the break or tries to penetrate because they are turnover machines. RO is probably the one exception to that but he handles it mainly when he is driving. Doo gets stripped some in traffic but that is inevitable when you get guards doubling down on you frequently. But in the open floor, I would MUCH rather him handling the ball than anyone other than Bieniemy.

I also think his shooting range will extend to the three point line next year. The staff is encouraging that.

Doo is one step (backwards beyond the 3-point line) from being un-guardable. If he would shoot the 3, which he apparently routinely makes in practice, he would be tremendously hard to match up for anyone in the Big 12

I just don't see what you see with respect to Doo. I'll throw this out to the entre board because I think it is a good debate as long as we can avoid getting nasty or personal -- who on our current team, other than JB, do you consider to be a better ball handler than Doo? I cringe every time one of our other guards leads the break or tries to penetrate because they are turnover machines. RO is probably the one exception to that but he handles it mainly when he is driving. Doo gets stripped some in traffic but that is inevitable when you get guards doubling down on you frequently. But in the open floor, I would MUCH rather him handling the ball than anyone other than Bieniemy.

I also think his shooting range will extend to the three point line next year. The staff is encouraging that.

I think its a good debate... I think he needs to play in the mold of Mario Boggan or Aaron McGhee... Undersized 4's who can stretch with jumpers, but also are tough and mix it up around the rim.

He needs to get tougher and stronger and play going toward the rim, in my opinion. I don't think he needs to try and be a guard or a wing. I know thats probably what he thinks and wants, but I don't think thats his game or talent.

Gain 10+ pounds this offseason and turn into a skilled warrior in the paint, while being a threat to shoot. That is what I would rather see than watch him try to be guard.

I did. I used my season tickets for over 30 years. Almost never missed a home game. Almost never missed a trip to the conference tournament. Made many trips to NCAA tournament games. I was an OU BASKETBALL "fan in the stands." A rare animal.

It was a difficult decision to drop my season tickets two years ago. In hindsight, it was the correct decision .. for me. This crap is hard enough to watch on TV.

Wow, I didn't know you stopped going - know how much of a diehard you are, so it's telling about the state of this basketball program.

Doolittle's statements were flat-out embarrassing. On what planet does a "7 seed in a conference tournament" take an opponent lightly?

Didn’t Doolittle just say a couple days ago that they learned their lesson from last year’s loss to OSU in the tournament? Then he says this garbage? Baffling

100 on this - LK's substitution patterns have baffled me all year. Manek and Doo should not have left the floor in the 2nd half. If they are tired, use TO's to give them rest. Kelvin was a master at this and Billy just had his guys in incredible shape.

I think LK plays too many people at times.

I don't know if you can find + / - for college games, but I would love to see what OU was without Doo and Manek.

i think this is very valid critisim

i think this is very valid critisim

I thought it was odd how long he sat Brady in the second half. I don't have any issues with taking a guy out for a minute or two right before a timeout, but when a key player is hot, keep him in till he cools off, and then bring him back in as soon as possible. I didn't think he sat Doo too long -- he played 36 minutes, so only a couple minutes each half on the bench. Brady was the one that confused me.

I'd always prefer more RO and less Reynolds. They both defend, but Reynolds has been so bad on offense that I would never play him for more than a few minutes per half, if that. As I said last week, his shots look like someone just throwing the ball in the general direction of the backboard at this point.

Wow, I didn't know you stopped going - know how much of a diehard you are, so it's telling about the state of this basketball program.

Doolittle's statements were flat-out embarrassing. On what planet does a "7 seed in a conference tournament" take an opponent lightly?

Shocking, isn’t it? If this board gave an annual “Positive Fan” award, Traveler would have received my vote every season. I met him at a game several years ago. He’s my idea of what an OU basketball fan should be!

Some here obviously believe things will be better. I’m fine with that. I wish I could be my usually optimistic self. I’m definitely hoping that three solid returning players (four counting Reaves) will combine with our newcomers to right the ship again. I plan to be here cheering them on. But if what some say is our best group of players in the Kruger era can’t get the job done, it may be time to stop blaming the players.

@kruger

This team is soft. Most of Lon's team's are. Kelvin will get in that a## and let you know. That's what I loved about him. If the players you have don't have it in them, it's your job as a coach to bring it out. Perfect example is James playing like trash in the first half and coming to the time out with the camera on him. Crutch was pissed and said something to him and James just had a look on his face like what did I do? Come on man. I knew this team was pretty much what we are and we are fortunate to be a bubble team with our hot start. I tried to tell you guys last year that this team wouldn't win 20 games. Hell, we should have been .500 or worse. We won some games early that I didn't think we would win.

Doo is one step (backwards beyond the 3-point line) from being un-guardable. If he would shoot the 3, which he apparently routinely makes in practice, he would be tremendously hard to match up for anyone in the Big 12

I totally agree. And if you remember...he would shoot the 3 his freshman year and seemed like he hit a decent amount of them! Don't forget that Texas game his freshman year...had like 29 points!

Yeah, this team has very small margin for error...so not sure why they would take any game for granted...doesn't make sense. WV has some talent still left and has had a couple of dudes really step up their hame. They are physical and can really rebound! Not the type of team to take for granted.

Now their little shirt PG didn't do crap the whole 1st half...then hits like 4 3's in the 2nd half alone! Wtf? We lost the game on the boards...and missed a couple of lay ups and easy baskets...to me that was the game.

It shouldn't have come down to that last shot! But Christ, can't we ever catch a break in those situations??!! Remember buddy's 3 that wasn't? Spanglera missed layup that was WIDE OPEN against Iowa st?! Latin missing the effin FT at the end of KU game is Lawrence...then the ref not calling the foul on Mason for rap in our player who was inbounding the effin ball??!!

It's like a frickin curse!

Posted this in the wrong thread..... Belongs in this thread.

WVU outrebounded us by 34 rebounds in 3 games... average of 11.3 boards per game. This is without their best player (Konate) and a total rebounding machine they have coming in next year.. OU has the same front-court next year.

We gave up 49 offensive rebounds in 3 games against them. 16.3 offensive rebounds per game given up.

Again, without their best player and a total rebounding freak of nature they have coming in next year.

In other words... they man-handled us this year. They are tougher... More physical... more relentless... The last place team in the league came in better coached, better prepared, and their guys were fighting to win and our guys weren't... Doolittle said it himself.

IMO why we lost this game and a lot of others..poorly conditioned, coaching, talent..all three of those could use a dose of improvement

I'm hopeful that our mental shortcomings, low basketball IQ, and lack of toughness is eradicated when this senior class graduates.

this is why i dont want a coaching change right now, i want a culture, attitude, passion change. cj didn't go foul wvu after jb missed that 3 point attempt with 10 seconds left. he just like slapped his hands and began to mope as if the game is over when we were still only down three. that is the **** i am tired of. we need heart and toughness. more guys that care. damn.

this is why i dont want a coaching change right now, i want a culture, attitude, passion change. cj didn't go foul wvu after jb missed that 3 point attempt with 10 seconds left. he just like slapped his hands and began to mope as if the game is over when we were still only down three. that is the **** i am tired of. we need heart and toughness. more guys that care. damn.
I'm surprised he didn't snap his head to an official for a foul to be called with a look of complete shock on his face.

That infuriated me too. We need a coaching change asap tho imo

“We didn’t bring the emotion that we needed for this game,” junior forward Kristian Doolittle said. “We just kind of expected to win this game going in, expecting West Virginia not to put up as much of a fight as they did. Credit them. They played hard the entire game, and we were trying to match them.”

This team with grad transfers, seniors, and juniors should know better than that

NewsOK source

Sounds more like an excuse than the actual reason for the loss

Kids sometimes talk out of the side of their neck

Wouldn’t put much stock in it. Doo played hard

I totally agree. And if you remember...he would shoot the 3 his freshman year and seemed like he hit a decent amount of them! Don't forget that Texas game his freshman year...had like 29 points!

Yeah, this team has very small margin for error...so not sure why they would take any game for granted...doesn't make sense. WV has some talent still left and has had a couple of dudes really step up their hame. They are physical and can really rebound! Not the type of team to take for granted.

Now their little shirt PG didn't do crap the whole 1st half...then hits like 4 3's in the 2nd half alone! Wtf? We lost the game on the boards...and missed a couple of lay ups and easy baskets...to me that was the game.

It shouldn't have come down to that last shot! But Christ, can't we ever catch a break in those situations??!! Remember buddy's 3 that wasn't? Spanglera missed layup that was WIDE OPEN against Iowa st?! Latin missing the effin FT at the end of KU game is Lawrence...then the ref not calling the foul on Mason for rap in our player who was inbounding the effin ball??!!

It's like a frickin curse!

To be fair, Spangler and Lattin had nothing to do with bad luck. They had chances to win games and choked. Spangler also had a chance to seal the West Virginia game a couple possessions before Buddy's halfcourt shot, but missed two free throws, one of which was an airball.

Back