And we complain about our recruiting mistakes . . .

Sam

Reaction score
. . . at least we are not Umass fans dealing with the mess Travis Ford left them.

Highlights
Example A.

Former UMass coach and current Oklahoma State head man Travis Ford’s recruiting haul in 2007.

He had nine players committed by my count and none of them have exactly panned out. I’m not sure I’ve seen a worse recruiting class in terms of production in the last decade.

Actually, I’m sure. This is the worst I’ve ever seen. Period.

Tyrell Lynch – Ford compared him to his former Kentucky teammate, Jamal Mashburn. Lynch ended up transferring after a freshman season that saw him average 3.7 points and 3.6 rebounds.

Whole article

It happens just about everywhere at one time or another, we are just more focused on it because of who we root for.

. . . at least we are not Umass fans dealing with the mess Travis Ford left them.

Highlights

Whole article

I don't think he's bringing in a difference maker this year. Maybe Cobbins can develop into one, but he's got to add about 40lbs to effectively play his position. Penn by far is his best recruit and I don't think he's the type of guy that can put a team on his back.

I don't think he's bringing in a difference maker this year. Maybe Cobbins can develop into one, but he's got to add about 40lbs to effectively play his position.

Olukemi has a chance to come in and be a difference maker. He just needs to work on his jumper.

I don't think Cobbins will be a big factor next year. That is just my opinion.

I don't either. I think he'll just be an athletic, energy guy off the bench for his first 2 years. I think his peak is a guy like Julian Wright. Just a jack of all trades type player.

I think Olukemi will start and Markel Brown will start by default (no other shooting guard).

However, I'll be shocked if Ford doesn't sign a JUCO shooting guard in the late signing period. I'm betting it's Kahlil McDonald.

I don't either. I think he'll just be an athletic, energy guy off the bench for his first 2 years. I think his peak is a guy like Julian Wright. Just a jack of all trades type player.

I think Olukemi will start and Markel Brown will start by default (no other shooting guard).

However, I'll be shocked if Ford doesn't sign a JUCO shooting guard in the late signing period. I'm betting it's Kahlil McDonald.

If he signs Khalil Mcdonald its a fantastic recruiting class....

Khalil Mcdonald, JP Olukemi, and Darrell Williams are all difference makers. Brian Williams, Markel Brown, and Michael Cobbins are all good recruits as well, but they wont be relied on so much with the juco guys coming in.

PG: Ray Penn/Fred Gulley
SG: Khalil Mcdonald/Markel Brown
SF: JP Olukemi/Brian Williams
PF: Marshall Moses/Darrell Williams
C: Matt Pilgrim/Torin Walker

I like it...I think it has the makings of a really good team, especially if they sign Mcdonald. He can shoot the lights out at 6'4''.

3 Things that amaze me regarding the article and this thread:

1. Ford had NINE (9) guys committed in one recruiting class. The dude has a serious problem. Compulsive recruiting much!

2. There he goes again making outrageous and unfair comparisons of his players. Tyrell Lynch reminds him of Mashburn? C'mon man!

3. According Hohum, he will take another guy in this class. I feel bad for the current OSU players that he is going boot from the team. Pretty soon, he is going to have some aau coaches and high school programs very upset at him for dropping recruits that HE recruited to OSU.

If he keeps signing big classes, but then 3 or 4 guys leave every year, he's going to catch alot of heat. He's already ran off Kirkland, Akol, and Proby. Probably about 3 more guys this year will be gone.

Still no difference makers he has signed yet.

If he keeps signing big classes, but then 3 or 4 guys leave every year, he's going to catch alot of heat. He's already ran off Kirkland, Akol, and Proby. Probably about 3 more guys this year will be gone.

Lol, so you are assuming Olukemi, Williams, Cobbins, and Brown aren't difference makers? They all seem like good players to me. I think he has a great class.

What don't you like about it?

I feel loads better about this class than I did last years.

I think last year had some obvious filler. Dowell and Walker. If Karron Johnson could have qualified it would have given them a huge boost.

I don't think Ford's going to continue to over recruit like this. I think next year they'll only take 3. Which is as of right now, how many spots they'll have left. And I don't think it will have any filler in it.

I could be wrong though, maybe he will over sign again and again.

I feel loads better about this class than I did last years.

I think last year had some obvious filler. Dowell and Walker. If Karron Johnson could have qualified it would have given them a huge boost.

I don't think Ford's going to continue to over recruit like this. I think next year they'll only take 3. Which is as of right now, how many spots they'll have left. And I don't think it will have any filler in it.

I could be wrong though, maybe he will over sign again and again.

Karron would have been a difference maker. I'm glad he never made it to OSU, but you should be glad as well since he's already been in alot of trouble at his JUCO. It's funny that you think Walker is a filler because he was one of the guys that everyone was making a huge fuss about. I think to some degree, with Walker and Shaw, you just have to put them out there and see if they can improve. He hasn't given them a chance. The one thing about OSU is that this team is carried by James Anderson. I think Anderson has did enough in developing his game to garner a lottery position. Muonelo is also another extemely talented kid. When those two guys are gone, who's going to carry the scoring mantle? OU fans have saw that you can't depend on incoming players to instanly pick up the slack scoring wise. They are just too inconsistent. Their best bet is Olukemi to fill that void. They really need to keep Moses and Pilgrim around.

I'll be interested if Ford recruits Johnson out of JUCO next year. He's having a GREAT season there. Averaging 21.7 and 7.95 a game. However he's shooting a pathetic 47% from the line. He has missed 2 or 3 games from a suspension which from what I read stemmed from "refusing to run sprints after practice" or something like that.

He's coached by Jay Spoonhour, son of Charlie Spoonhour. Just for a friendly FYI.

How come we aren't recruiting McDonald? Wouldn't he be a really good fit?

TMG
McDonald
Clark
Tiny
N'Diaye

Bench of TJ, Pledger, Davis, Willis, Allen, Honore and two others?

How come we aren't recruiting McDonald? Wouldn't he be a really good fit?

TMG
McDonald
Clark
Tiny
N'Diaye

Bench of TJ, Pledger, Davis, Willis, Allen, Honore and two others?

He is a huge grade risk and may not even be able to play until next January. A bunch of schools backed off of him because of grades...

He is a huge grade risk and may not even be able to play until next January. A bunch of schools backed off of him because of grades...

Well, that would be why I guess.

Tell me about that Tony Smith (I think) kid?

Well, that would be why I guess.

Tell me about that Tony Smith (I think) kid?

I think Tony would be a great addition. Might be tough to get away from Kansas State though. He is a kid that loves to play defense and can play the point guard position as well as the wing.

I see several difference makers. I don't know what you aren't seeing here. They got very athletic with this class. Brian Williams and Markel Brown would be OU's best athletes, period. Olukemi would probably come in and start. Now, OU and OSU were waiting on Cameron Clark before offering Olukemi, but I would bet Olukemi has more of an immediate impact but Clark has more long term potential.

1.) JP Olukemi (6'7'' 215) - He averaged 14.9 points and 4.2 rebounds per game while shooting 51.6 percent from the floor as a juco freshman. "He has a big, strong basketball body and is someone who will step in and play right away" - Travis Ford

2.) Brian Williams (6'5'' 190) - Averaged 25.9 points, 13.6 rebounds, 4.1 blocked shots and 3.5 assists per game as a junior last season, pacing Glen Oaks to a No. 1 ranking in Class 4A. He was named Class 4A’s Outstanding Player by the Louisiana Sports Writers Association. “Brian’s game is a lot like Obi's,” Ford said. “He's 6-4 to 6-5 and much more athletic. He can jump over the rim. He averaged 30 points a game last year in high school. He can step out and shoot it, he's very athletic and has a great in-between game.”- Travis Ford

3.) Markel Brown (6'3'' 185) - Ranked as the No. 24 shooting guard in the country by Scout.com. He averaged 28.5 points, eight rebounds, three assists, three steals and three blocked shots per game as a junior last season. “Markel is a kid I went and saw play and the first five minutes I watched him play I said, 'that's our guy',” Ford said. “He plays for a big-time high school program. He can play the point, the two and also the three. He's arguably one of the most athletic guys we’ve recruited." - Travis Ford

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRcv0uE6uLk[/ame]

4.) Darrell Williams (6'8'' 245 - JUCO) - Big juco that is having a great season for what might be the best juco team in the country. "Darrell brings us some great experience," Ford said. "He's one of the top five junior college big men in the country. You can pretty much write down a double-double every night for him. He has extreme versatility. He can really handle the ball and step out. He's very athletic and understands the game."

I don't know what you don't see DM, but I think OSU has a fantastic class coming in.

TJ Taylor > Brown and Williams

Also what are the stats for Darrell?
I have learned not to trust ford hyperbole when it comes to Nick "Best 6th Man ever" Sidorkis ...

Last edited:
"double-double every night"

Ok, Travis. LOL

Abd,

What did Travis say about last year's guys? In particular, Shaw, Walker, and Dowell.

Me thinks Travis pays Dignon to write his evaluations...

Back