Another new commit coming today per Lusk (Alec Blair)

I meant MLB: if he makes it to campus. I think he hoops
50. Alec Blair (18.7), RF, De La Salle (California) HS, Uncommitted

Might be hard to get to campus if he ends up being a 2nd round pick and getting a signing bonus in the range of 1.5 million - 2 million range

Maybe he has enough NIL $$$ to put off baseball for a bit when he gets here. Maybe a NIL double dip with hoops/baseball. I may not be millions but it might be enough to want to try the college ranks for a while

Maybe he has enough NIL $$$ to put off baseball for a bit when he gets here. Maybe a NIL double dip with hoops/baseball. I may not be millions but it might be enough to want to try the college ranks for a while
If he were to go in the 3rd round, that is a realistic possibility, even if a little less. Spike just got drafted at pick #90 in the 3rd round and his slot money is around $730K.

If he goes as high as the second round, that may be tougher to battle. The last pick of the second round this year was around $1.3MM- the first pick of the 2nd round was $2.3MM. What could be a saving grace is he really seems to love basketball and he is an OF, which don't go as high as HS pitchers or middle infielders.

And BTW, don't underestimate the willingness of Skip and PM to allow it to happen. It seems Skip is more willing to allow dual sports than a lot of coaches. But this could be one of the times (rare times) we should be glad for NIL in college sports. Otherwise, not even a possibility.

Last edited:
It would be possible to play college basketball and minor league baseball, but it would be difficult…if he is drafted in the first 2 rounds of the MLB draft the slot money would be pretty good and they would want him full time. If drafted later it would just depend on if the MLB team would pay over slot. It looks like he is an OF/1B.

Also the MLB draft the last couple of years has been heavy college players the first few rounds…will be interesting to follow

If he were to go in the 3rd round, that is a realistic possibility, even if a little less. Spike just got drafted at pick #90 in the 3rd round and his slot money is around $730K.

If he goes as high as the second round, that may be tougher to battle. The last pick of the second round this year was around $1.3MM- the first pick of the 2nd round was $2.3MM. What could be a saving grace is he really seems to love basketball and he is an OF, which don't go as high as HS pitchers or middle infielders.

And BTW, don't underestimate the willingness of Skip and PM to allow it to happen. It seems Skip is more willing to allow dual sports than a lot of coaches. But this could be one of the times (rare times) we should be glad for NIL in college sports. Otherwise, not even a possibility.

YOU LET ME HAVE SHINY THINGS MJ!!!! LOL

I’ll get excited if he makes it to campus. If he’s a top 3 rd MLB pick, I don’t think we’ll ever see him.

giphy.webp

Back