Baylor @ Oklahoma

So you are saying we need lotto pics and a staff of of future head coaches to have a winning conference record? ......I think you are the one cherry picking .

If we had finished in the top 2 or 3 of the big 12 ( three deep tourney runs ) the last three seasons but I brought up a bad season from 4 years ago .... how stupid would I sound ?

Again Buddy and company are gone .Henson is gone .

Start naming the big 12 staffs worse than ours . Baylor , Texas , that’s about it . Heck OSU has some great assistants.

Honest question. How can anyone claim to know with any certainly the quality of assistant coaches on our staff, let alone all the other Big 12 teams? Do you hit the road recruiting with them? Regularly attend practices to see how they teach and develop players? Or do you just look at records and then work backwards to support your conclusion? Fans constantly vacillate depending on how their team has done over the past couple weeks. KSU fans have spent most of the last five years wanting dancing Bruce and his staff fired, then fell in love with him last March, and have gone back and forth ever since. And I never see our fans mention our staff when things are going well, but when we lose, it's suddenly on everyone's mind.

I also love how quickly some of you are to mention Lon's loose system...when we lose. Was his system different three years ago? The first half of last season? Hell, the first two months of this season? And what about Nova, who plays a completely free, NBA style and is universally loved for how they play.

Look, tonight was garbage. I'm perfectly willing to acknowledge that, and am still upset about how last season ended. I'm not even close to being a sunshine pumper. I'm perfectly willing to call it as I see it, good or bad. But guys like you don't do that ... you act as if nothing good ever happens, and just wait to pile on when things are bad. You say you love Sooner basketball, but I honestly think you go into games hoping for a performance like this so you can get on here and complain.

The staff clearly bears some responsibility for the past few weeks. But if veteran players like James and Manek and Muni aren't able to consistently show up and compete, they deserve a lot of blame. Playing hard two out of every three games isn't going to cut it.

Honest question. How can anyone claim to know with any certainly the quality of assistant coaches on our staff, let alone all the other Big 12 teams? Do you hit the road recruiting with them? Regularly attend practices to see how they teach and develop players? Or do you just look at records and then work backwards to support your conclusion? Fans constantly vacillate depending on how their team has done over the past couple weeks. KSU fans have spent most of the last five years wanting dancing Bruce and his staff fired, then fell in love with him last March, and have gone back and forth ever since. And I never see our fans mention our staff when things are going well, but when we lose, it's suddenly on everyone's mind.

I also love how quickly some of you are to mention Lon's loose system...when we lose. Was his system different three years ago? The first half of last season? Hell, the first two months of this season? And what about Nova, who plays a completely free, NBA style and is universally loved for how they play.

Look, tonight was garbage. I'm perfectly willing to acknowledge that, and am still upset about how last season ended. I'm not even close to being a sunshine pumper. I'm perfectly willing to call it as I see it, good or bad. But guys like you don't do that ... you act as if nothing good ever happens, and just wait to pile on when things are bad. You say you love Sooner basketball, but I honestly think you go into games hoping for a performance like this so you can get on here and complain.

The staff clearly bears some responsibility for the past few weeks. But if veteran players like James and Manek and Muni aren't able to consistently show up and compete, they deserve a lot of blame. Playing hard two out of every three games isn't going to cut it.

The assistant coach crap means nothing to me (although hiring your son is pretty lame). My gripe is with the big guy.

Lons system of being hands off only works with guys that are smart bball iq already or are crazy skilled bc the crazy amount of work they've put in.. our guys largely aren't either.

The way i see it. We over achieved in the beginning of the season (nothing compared to last year tho) and now we're playing about where this soft ass team belongs. Our graduate guys are slumping a little bit and they were the only hopes of any mental toughness we could have had untainted by this staff.. now it appears maybe our only freshman might be the headiest of the whole team.

The team needs to decide if they wanna go out as softies our win some dang games, including a few they aren't supposed to win

I wouldnt bet on them.. but they can do it, no doubt

Honest question.

I also love how quickly some of you are to mention Lon's loose system...when we lose. Was his system different three years ago? The first half of last season? Hell, the first two months of this season? And what about Nova, who plays a completely free, NBA style and is universally loved for how .

Any LARGELY free lance system will eventually have major isses...kids get egos, kids realize they can get away from team, get away from good SMART DEF and OFF, its a natural progression.

Ex...at osu under 2 min, we were up by 4 I believe. We had just come down after a stop...again, I believe twice, and did not score. Then kruger called a TO...settled them down.

Hell a cousin coaches occ girls bball and they had to do that against kansas newman the other night...

At the end of the day, although it feels much worse, this is just 1 loss.

Hopefully the team doesn't let this loss become 2, 3, or 4 losses and get demoralized.

So you are saying we need lotto pics and a staff of of future head coaches to have a winning conference record? ......I think you are the one cherry picking .

If we had finished in the top 2 or 3 of the big 12 ( three deep tourney runs ) the last three seasons but I brought up a bad season from 4 years ago .... how stupid would I sound ?

Again Buddy and company are gone .Henson is gone .

Start naming the big 12 staffs worse than ours . Baylor , Texas , that’s about it . Heck OSU has some great assistants.

I said that? Show me where.

All you do is complain, period. You're only happy when this team is struggling, despite your phony claims of how much you love this team. That's why you chose the sample you did. You chose the terrible season after all the seniors graduated, last year, and this one. Had you included the one before that which, by the way, Kruger was as responsible for as any other, your numbers would've looked a whole lot different. That's why you did it, though -- to purposefully include the terrible season and exclude the great one -- just so you'd be able to amplify your whining.

Honest question. How can anyone claim to know with any certainly the quality of assistant coaches on our staff, let alone all the other Big 12 teams?

They can't. I was trying to figure out why they do this and I think it's because it's so difficult to be refuted. They'll be called out for criticizing Kruger and called out for criticizing players but it's so difficult for someone to say, "You're wrong. Crutchfield does a great job!" for exactly the reason you mention. It's a coward's way out.

I'm glad you called them out to prove or support their criticism of the assistant coaches. They should have to rank the league's assistant coaches from best to worst and defend their rankings.

Sooner 1234 with the KO imo

Really? You're delusional (but we already knew that from all your posts). He made up an argument I never even approached making just to distract from his bogus argument. If you think that's a KO, you're nuttier than he is. :facepalm

When Bienenemy and Calixte had 3 turnovers in a span of something like 7 possessions, you could tell the team wasn't locked in IMO.

To be honest, I didn't want the last 15 minutes of the game. Could tell the team didn't have an ounce of fight and there was no way they were coming back.

On to the next one.

FWIW, OU curbstomps Vandy and the game thread is 4 pages. OU takes a whipping from Baylor and this game thread is 11 pages. People love to gripe more than praise. And that attitude has only increased in society because of the internet and its anonymity.

Really? You're delusional (but we already knew that from all your posts). He made up an argument I never even approached making just to distract from his bogus argument. If you think that's a KO, you're nuttier than he is. :facepalm

:ez-roll:

I said that? Show me where.

All you do is complain, period. You're only happy when this team is struggling, despite your phony claims of how much you love this team. That's why you chose the sample you did. You chose the terrible season after all the seniors graduated, last year, and this one. Had you included the one before that which, by the way, Kruger was as responsible for as any other, your numbers would've looked a whole lot different. That's why you did it, though -- to purposefully include the terrible season and exclude the great one -- just so you'd be able to amplify your whining.

No you are just a homer and ANY negativity directed towards the program you make excuses .
I’ve chosen the last three years because that’s what this program is now .
Buddy is a once in a decade at best type player , quit hanging on to him like it’s the first time OU ever had success or made a final four run .
I’ll put it this way where would you rank Kruger’s COMPLETE tenure?
Compare it to the other OU coaches the last 40 years .

Obviously Tubbs trumps him , so does Kelvin .

Heck even against Capel ,Lon has had a better TEAM / season overall but year in year out ( especially in conference ) their runs are pretty similar.

Again I wouldn’t go back to Lons first two seasons ( that’s not fair ) but I’m also not going to keep going back to players and a STAFF are gone and have nothing to do with this current team .

How long do we ride Buddy’s coat tails ? You act like that’s the first and only FF we have or will play for .

I’ve praised this team plenty but frankly In big 12 play the last few years .....there isn’t much to be proud of .

You call me out as fan , what are you if accept/defend MULTIPLE years mediocrity for a storied OU program.

I guess I hold OU to higher standard than you do , I can’t defend finishing in the bottom of your conference year in year out .... on a consistent basis .

I love Lon and respect him , but he will be WAY WAY down the list on The Who’s who of OU coaches 50 years from now .

Quit acting like he invented OU basketball or something , act like you have been here before ..... which we have .

Last edited:
Manek struggles against physical players on offense and they wear him out at the post on defense.

No you are just a homer and ANY negativity directed towards the program you make excuses .
Buddy is a once in a decade at best type player , quit hanging on to him like it’s the first time OU ever had success or made a final four run .

Heck even against Capel ,Lon has had a better TEAM / season overall but year in year out ( especially in conference ) their runs are pretty similar.

Again I wouldn’t go back to Lons first two seasons ( that’s not fair ) but I’m also not going to keep going back to players and a STAFF are gone and have nothing to do with this current team .

How long do we ride Buddy’s coat tails ? You act like that’s the first and only FF we have or will play for .

I’ve praised this team plenty but frankly In big 12 play the last few years .....there isn’t much to be proud of .

You call me out as fan , what are you if accept/defend MULTIPLE years mediocrity for a storied OU program.

I guess I hold OU to higher standard than you do , I can’t defend finishing in the bottom of your conference year in year out .... on a consistent basis .

I love Lon and respect him , but he will be WAY WAY down the list on The Who’s who of OU coaches 50 years from now .

Quit acting like he invented OU basketball or something , act like you have been here before ..... which we have .

Since the beginning of this calendar year, you have posted in 3 threads.

OU vs. KSU game thread
OU vs. Texas game thread
OU vs. Baylor game thread

What do those three games have in common?

Manek struggles against physical players on offense and they wear him out at the post on defense.

We tried to go small with shooters against Baylor. Problem was our shooters weren't hitting, and the small lineup was getting bullied on offense. Bad combo.

Recap from John Shinn...

NORMAN — If Oklahoma’s goal had been to play the worst 40 minutes of basketball possible, it would’ve at least accomplished something Monday night.

The Sooners’ 77-47 loss to Baylor at Lloyd Noble Center was a two-hour pummeling that exposed every OU flaw. A team prone to offensive lapses cannot afford defensive blunders.

OU was terrible on both ends for large durations of both halves.

“There wasn’t much positive in that one,” OU coach Lon Kruger said. “Baylor was sharp and had their way on both ends of the floor. We didn’t do what we had to (to) fight that off.”

Riding Buddy's coattails? How is he, or anyone else, doing that? I love Buddy -- probably my favorite Sooner ever. But his first two years, he was a nice, complimentary player -- not a star, and definitely not a guy who was solely responsible for taking the team to the tournament. It was nothing short of a miracle for Kruger to get the team to the tourney in his second and third years as coach, given the mess he inherited. He accomplished as much in just those two seasons as Capel did his entire career.

What makes no sense to me is how so many posters seem incapable of any measured, rational take. Less than a month ago, regular posters were arguing that we were better than KU, or that we had a better chance to make a March run. That was crazy talk. We have several nice players and, until the last two weeks, played hard every night, but our talent was not even close to KU's. Now, three or four weeks later, there are people saying we might lose our last 11 games and suggesting an overhaul is needed. And when March comes around, if we make the tourney but lose early, people will say the season was a failure, even though many of those people said before the season that we would be doing well to finish above .500. and that they would be thrilled to make the tourney

But as Gar points out, the really annoying this is when people like you stay away from the board entirely when things are going well, but can't wait to take shots as soon as the team struggles. You claim to love the program, but I honestly think you are happy when something like last night happens, so you can get on here and complain.

And without Googling, I doubt you could name 10 assistant coaches in the conference.

Riding Buddy's coattails? How is he, or anyone else, doing that? I love Buddy -- probably my favorite Sooner ever. But his first two years, he was a nice, complimentary player -- not a star, and definitely not a guy who was solely responsible for taking the team to the tournament. It was nothing short of a miracle for Kruger to get the team to the tourney in his second and third years as coach, given the mess he inherited. He accomplished as much in just those two seasons as Capel did his entire career.

What makes no sense to me is how so many posters seem incapable of any measured, rational take. Less than a month ago, regular posters were arguing that we were better than KU, or that we had a better chance to make a March run. That was crazy talk. We have several nice players and, until the last two weeks, played hard every night, but our talent was not even close to KU's. Now, three or four weeks later, there are people saying we might lose our last 11 games and suggesting an overhaul is needed. And when March comes around, if we make the tourney but lose early, people will say the season was a failure, even though many of those people said before the season that we would be doing well to finish above .500. and that they would be thrilled to make the tourney

But as Gar points out, the really annoying this is when people like you stay away from the board entirely when things are going well, but can't wait to take shots as soon as the team struggles. You claim to love the program, but I honestly think you are happy when something like last night happens, so you can get on here and complain.

And without Googling, I doubt you could name 10 assistant coaches in the conference.

If OU makes the tourney, even if they are blown out in the first round, this season would be a success IMO. They need 5-6 wins to make the tourney. It isn't a guarantee, but I think they can do it.

If OU makes the tourney, even if they are blown out in the first round, this season would be a success IMO. They need 5-6 wins to make the tourney. It isn't a guarantee, but I think they can do it.

Bingo. If you look at the season as whole I think everyone in October would have taken a tourney birth and been OK with a loss. We all knew this was a bridge year til next and the recruiting class we have coming in. If you thought other wise thats on you. I think Lon knew that too by bringing in all the grad transfers. So, take a step back and realize that making it to the tourney WAS the ceiling. Still doesn't make last night acceptable but everyone needs to know this isn't a world beater team. Hold tight, the reinforcements are coming.

I love the small school and Bird narrative but the fact is Manek has been a disappoinment this year all the way around. He's had a few good games but he is largely becoming another Christian James. Good in the games that don't matter and not good in the games that do matter. However, James at least appears to try and play defense, Manek just spectates on defense.

Back