Baylor signs big foreign guy Dragan Sekelja

It doesn't matter how good this guy is, with drew at the helm he will never see any touches. Like kevin rodgers, the only way he'll see the ball is from rebounding it.

Kevin Rogers took 358 shots this year...

Willie Warren took 364
Cole Aldrich took 333
Dexter Pittman took 211
Leo Lyons took 357

I'm willing to bet more than half came from put backs and fast breaks. Plus he played in a few more games than those guys considering the big 12 tourney and NIT.

Carl aren't you an OSU fan? Wouldn't that be the pot calling the kettle black?

you're right osu and baylor play similar styles, yet when Moses showed he could score Ford would make sure to isolate him on the block and give him the ball 4 to 6 times a game. I can't remember more than maybe 2 times a game drew gave rodgers the ball on the block even on his good nights.

I'm willing to bet more than half came from put backs and fast breaks. Plus he played in a few more games than those guys considering the big 12 tourney and NIT.

Carl- I probably watched more Baylor games than anyone on this board. Rogers got plenty of touches in the blocks. Jerrells and Rogers pick and roll was a significant part of the gameplan. Rogers set mediocre picks and gave half-effort post ups.

Speaking of that... it is a major pet peeve of mine. Only a few do an outstanding job of getting wide and giving a big target for an entry pass. Griffin was pretty good but can improve. Gary Johnson at UT and Moses at OSU are good. Bryan Davis is another one that does a decent job. These post players need to pull out old Wayman Tisdale tapes to see how you can be pretty dang effective if you give a wide target and then go to work.

Carl- I probably watched more Baylor games than anyone on this board. Rogers got plenty of touches in the blocks. Jerrells and Rogers pick and roll was a significant part of the gameplan. Rogers set mediocre picks and gave half-effort post ups.
Speaking of that... it is a major pet peeve of mine. Only a few do an outstanding job of getting wide and giving a big target for an entry pass. Griffin was pretty good but can improve. Gary Johnson at UT and Moses at OSU are good. Bryan Davis is another one that does a decent job. These post players need to pull out old Wayman Tisdale tapes to see how you can be pretty dang effective if you give a wide target and then go to work.

It doesn't surprise me that you would defend Drew's coaching and throw a player under the bus. I agree that KR wasn't exactly a beast from a physical standpoint, but he was the most consistent player on your team last year, and that offense should have been run through him. The fact that Lace Dunn was allowed to put up one of the worst A/T ratios (during a stretch of conference play) for a guard in the history of basketball shows that some of the blame needed to be on coaching. Drew should have forced the ball to start with KR and to have more of an inside-out game imo.

It doesn't surprise me that you would defend Drew's coaching and throw a player under the bus. I agree that KR wasn't exactly a beast from a physical standpoint, but he was the most consistent player on your team last year, and that offense should have been run through him. The fact that Lace Dunn was allowed to put up one of the worst A/T ratios (during a stretch of conference play) for a guard in the history of basketball shows that some of the blame needed to be on coaching. Drew should have forced the ball to start with KR and to have more of an inside-out game imo.

I like Rogers fine. I wasn't throwing him under the bus. He rebounded well. Shoots well. Athletic around the rim. But the guy disappeared defensively a lot and would have received more touches on the blocks had he given a strong post up. Too many passes were stolen. Part guards fault for throwing poor passes and part KR's fault for giving a weak post.

BigTime- you look for arguments in my posts. Do we need to settle this on the court? I am in my 40s but I bet I could teach you the meaning of the word respect...

you're right osu and baylor play similar styles, yet when Moses showed he could score Ford would make sure to isolate him on the block and give him the ball 4 to 6 times a game. I can't remember more than maybe 2 times a game drew gave rodgers the ball on the block even on his good nights.

You're right. Infact they let Moses use his quickness against some of the slower post and he whipped their tales from 15ft in.

I like Rogers fine. I wasn't throwing him under the bus. He rebounded well. Shoots well. Athletic around the rim. But the guy disappeared defensively a lot and would have received more touches on the blocks had he given a strong post up. Too many passes were stolen. Part guards fault for throwing poor passes and part KR's fault for giving a weak post.

I'll give you that. Rarely did he demand the ball in the post and that is probably the problem itself.

Congrats, hoopster. You have TU on your side! :)

You do make a good point about Rogers not demanding the ball enough. It doesn't totally dismiss my point though.

As for looking for arguments, it is gross how much you defend Drew as a coach. I am just trying to get you to be a little objective here. This isn't sicemsports.com. The jury is still out on his coaching. Some would argue (myself included) that he did the worse coaching job of anyone in the Big 12 last year during Big 12 play. It obviously got a little better during the tourney and into the NIT.

But the guy disappeared defensively a lot and would have received more touches on the blocks had he given a strong post up. Too many passes were stolen. Part guards fault for throwing poor passes and part KR's fault for giving a weak post.

You're blaming Rogers for something you should blame coach Drew for. It falls on the coach to get the ball inside. He didn't make the effort with Rogers and he didn't make it with Acy. You can stop guards from taking bad shots by sitting them on the bench. Curtis Jerrells was the posterboy for bad shots and overdribbling and he got rewarded with more bad shot opportunities and overdribbling chances.

You guys probably don't care but you might if he is qualified:

Jerry Meyer at Rivals had this comment about Dragan:

"He's a top big man in Europe which equates to a 5-star elite prospect in the US. If you saw the Nike Hoops Summit, you don't need to be convinced of this."

But it sounds like he will not be qualified since most of these big men in Europe put school on the back burner at about 16 years old to concentrate on being a professional player.

"He's a top big man in Europe which equates to a 5-star elite prospect in the US. If you saw the Nike Hoops Summit, you don't need to be convinced of this."

But it sounds like he will not be qualified since most of these big men in Europe put school on the back burner at about 16 years old to concentrate on being a professional player.

he will likely lose a year while sitting out, correct? Will he begin his Baylor career in 2010-2011 as a sophomore?

he will likely lose a year while sitting out, correct? Will he begin his Baylor career in 2010-2011 as a sophomore?

The word I hear is that he is a smart kid and as long as they can get him through the clearinghouse, he will play in 2009-2010. They think he's got better than a 50/50 shot of getting through. But Drew and crew are always optimistic about stuff like this.

Nonetheless, the kid looks good. I saw some video. He reminds me of Pau Gasol- he can move well. And he is a legit 7'0" and 250 lbs. One guy who writes for a basketball magazine in Europe told a friend of mine that he probably grows to 7'2" and that his basketball IQ is very high. Baylor needs that :)

The word I hear is that he is a smart kid and as long as they can get him through the clearinghouse, he will play in 2009-2010. They think he's got better than a 50/50 shot of getting through. But Drew and crew are always optimistic about stuff like this.

Nonetheless, the kid looks good. I saw some video. He reminds me of Pau Gasol- he can move well. And he is a legit 7'0" and 250 lbs. One guy who writes for a basketball magazine in Europe told a friend of mine that he probably grows to 7'2" and that his basketball IQ is very high. Baylor needs that :)

Yea, this is a great signing for Baylor. I wish OU would recruit internationally and try to get guys like this when available.

Baylor's recruiting has improved, but Drew still hasn't signed anyone that is good enough to counter his lack of coaching ability. When he signs a John Wall or Lebryan nash, I'll take notice more.

Back