Baylor signs big foreign guy Dragan Sekelja

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
A big 7'0 250lb croatian. He played for the 18U Croatian national team. Their sixth player signed this year and seventh if you count Udoh.

A big 7'0 250lb croatian. He played for the 18U Croatian national team. Their sixth player signed this year and seventh if you count Udoh.

I read some good things about his game. He still has a way to go academically to be ready to go for next year though.

I read some good things about his game. He still has a way to go academically to be ready to go for next year though.

Baylor coaches are high on this kid- compare him to Suton at Mich St. Supposedly Duke, Maryland, Georgia Tech and Indiana recruited him. I'm skeptical. Most of these Euros don't pan out. This kid has some agility, size and coordination though. He may be a baller.

Drew must have cheated.

Yes- all good recruits are only obtained by cheating. All good teams only win because refs show favoritism. This is what separates a Lebron from a Jeff Green- Lebron gets calls that Green doesn't get..

Yes- all good recruits are only obtained by cheating. All good teams only win because refs show favoritism. This is what separates a Lebron from a Jeff Green- Lebron gets calls that Green doesn't get..

I refuse to have this conversation again. Let it go people.

Back on topic, the BIG question is will he be better than the aussie center that Colorado is bringing in (that's for you abd!).

I was kidding DFW. Drew does a fine job.

Look guys, I know a guy that works with Drew, and he tells me they do NOT cheat to get these recruits. Period. End of story.

Can a guy play pro ball overseas and still be eligible for a college scholarship?
I seem to remember Seton Hall having an older player who had played in the Australia pro league. This guy was with Seton Hall for one year.

As far as big Europeans performing in college, Alecs Maric, Andrew Bogut and
Dan Gadzuric didn't do bad.

Why does everyone say that Baylor cheats? Is it bruised ego? How dare Baylor beat OU on a player? Or is there actual evidence?

Can a guy play pro ball overseas and still be eligible for a college scholarship?

They will have to sit out a year. Nebraska recruited a German big guy (Chris Niemann) who played for an organization that paid players, even though he was under 18. The NCAA is forcing him to sit out.

They will probably do the same thing with his teammate who is coming to Nebraska this year, because he played for the same organization.

I seem to remember Seton Hall having an older player who had played in the Australia pro league. This guy was with Seton Hall for one year.

As far as big Europeans performing in college, Alecs Maric, Andrew Bogut and
Dan Gadzuric didn't do bad.

Bogut is Australian.

Bogut is Australian.

Bogut (Utah), Maric (Nebraska), Ogilvy (Vandy), and Luke Neville (Utah) are all Austrialian centers. All played at the Australian Insititute of Sport, which is the same national basketball academy that Shane Harris-Tunks (Colorado) plays at. Tunks is the #1 prospect out of Australia this year.

Don't be surprised if Harris-Tunks joins the above list as a very good college Australian center. Maric was always on All-Big 12 teams, Bogut was the #1 pick, Ogilvy is an all-sec player, and Neville was the best player in the Mountain West. There is a very good recent history of Australian centers out of that school being very good college players.

A big part of why I think you will see Colorado improve so much is Harris-Tunks.. He chose Colorado over Vanderbilt, Washington State, Texas A&M, and Gonzaga.

Last edited:
Bogut (Utah), Maric (Nebraska), Ogilvy (Vandy), and Luke Neville (Utah) are all Austrialian centers. All played at the Australian Insititute of Sport, which is the same national basketball academy that Shane Harris-Tunks (Colorado) plays at. Tunks is the #1 prospect out of Australia this year.

Don't be surprised if Harris-Tunks joins the above list as a very good college Australian center. Maric was always on All-Big 12 teams, Bogut was the #1 pick, Ogilvy is an all-sec player, and Neville was the best player in the Mountain West. There is a very good recent history of Australian centers out of that school being very good college players.

A big part of why I think you will see Colorado improve so much is Harris-Tunks.. He chose Colorado over Vanderbilt, Washington State, Texas A&M, and Gonzaga.

Bogut was from Australia but his parents were Croatian. Croatia has turned out a decent amount of big men. Tony Kukoc, Rudy Tomjanovich, Suton at Michigan State and Steve Stipanovich. Kevin McHale's mother was from Croatia also.

There have been plenty of flops from these "project" European big men. But Australian and Eastern European big guys seem to have a higher success rate. They tend to be more aggressive than players from Western Europe or even parts of the United States. I generalize...

Bogut was from Australia but his parents were Croatian. Croatia has turned out a decent amount of big men. Tony Kukoc, Rudy Tomjanovich, Suton at Michigan State and Steve Stipanovich. Kevin McHale's mother was from Croatia also.

There have been plenty of flops from these "project" European big men. But Australian and Eastern European big guys seem to have a higher success rate. They tend to be more aggressive than players from Western Europe or even parts of the United States. I generalize...

What's really being ignored is that he must be a real project because even big euro guys who are generally thought of as projects and average a minimal amount of points and rebounds get drafted alot in lower rounds.

If you consider the "old" country of Yugoslavia with all it's sub-countries you'll find a lot of good basketball players. Also take into account immigrants and kids of immigrants who fled during the wars.

It doesn't matter how good this guy is, with drew at the helm he will never see any touches. Like kevin rodgers, the only way he'll see the ball is from rebounding it.

Back